Anyone know what may have caused this?

Here we can have up to 12 plants so there are always extras. I cut the stem open from top to bottom between the nods where the hole is, No Worm.... hummm Maybe it got stoned while eating the hole and forgot to crawl in. :Rasta:

Imidacloprid is an systemic insecticide.

Some commercial growers use it, because the "systemic action" means its absorbed by the roots, and spreads via xilem to stems, leaves and if youre in flowering, flowers.

But study about your problem first, may have different options. Try to spot that damn creepy larvae.
I would be very careful before using any systemic insectide on marijuana. While Imidacloprid is approved for use in some edible crops, eating is not the main way cannabis is consumed. Burning the residual Imidacloprid that is left in the plant tissues could produce toxins. I addition Imidacloprid is know to cause flair ups in spider mite populations. Imidacloprid has no effect on spider mites except to increase the number of eggs they lay, they don't know why this occurs.

I would be very careful before using any systemic insectide on marijuana. While Imidacloprid is approved for use in some edible crops, eating is not the main way cannabis is consumed. Burning the residual Imidacloprid that is left in the plant tissues could produce toxins. I addition Imidacloprid is know to cause flair ups in spider mite populations. Imidacloprid has no effect on spider mites except to increase the number of eggs they lay, they don't know why this occurs.
I want to use organic solutions more than insecticides. I'm wondering if a dusting of diatomaceous earth on the top of the soil may work for future grows

I think since I did not find the worm I will let the cut heal and keep a very close eye on it. If it shows signs or damage above the cut, I will just top it and salvage the branches below. I do not want to risk cutting the next node up right now. Thank you all for the advice, :passitleft: I will post any further results here.

Edit:
I added a couple more pieces of tape after seeing this pic but, this is the cut.
bubasurgery01.jpg

Should work ... Neem Cake in your soil mix will deter soil borne pathogens and insects.

How I use it.

You can also make a tea with it and dilute with water and foliar on. It will have the same active ingredient as the oil. Diluted it wont taste as bad. I only used neem oil 1x.

i didn't like the flavor of my weed after harvest and I bud wash.

I've been using wetable sulfur for all pests this year. I've had an issue with aphids inside.
They probably from local farms and have a pretty high tolerance to most pesticides. Get them indoors and they almost impossible to get rid of. Sulfur works.

I like how cannabis heals itself. I broke off a top last year and was hanging from a thread. I just propped it up taped up the break and went all the way to flower. Will look into the Wetable Sulfur and Neem Cake.

Update: Plant is doing well it has not yet shown any other signs of the possible corn borer.

I spoke to soon... Today it is looking sick, treated it to boost the Cal and Mag but, fear it is that corn borer. :rolleyes: What do you guys think?

bkleafdroop-01.jpg
bkleafdroop-02.jpg
bkleafdroop-03.jpg
bkleafdroop-04.jpg

The node just below the hole and above. below that node looks ok... It has been dry here, I gave it nute boost Sunday, it was when I first saw the spots and getting worse Today it stormed and got a good drink. As today went on after the storm it started the tip curl and droop.

Today it is worse, top was laying over face down. I say was because I ended up topping it looking for that corn borer and did not find it. I saw a brown spot starting to form between nodes and from what I had seen search corn borers.... that was the place to start. I slit it between every node up and nothing. I will try and save what is left but, My hopes are not looking good.

I'm glad I started more BKush while this was going on. Hope for the best and prepare for worst kinda thing.

Well looks like it will not be a total loss and that is good news. She showed her female parts in the last couple days. :yahoo:

Now I need to wait and see if the "stress" causes it to go hermi. If not, it kinda dispels the thought that stress alone can cause a plant to go hermi. This plant has been through hell. With it showing preflower this soon, It may endup being a monster, only time will tell.

bkrepair-02.jpg

bkrepair-03.jpg

Well looks like it will not be a total loss and that is good news. She showed her female parts in the last couple days. :yahoo:

Now I need to wait and see if the "stress" causes it to go hermi. If not, it kinda dispels the thought that stress alone can cause a plant to go hermi. This plant has been through hell. With it showing preflower this soon, It may endup being a monster, only time will tell.

bkrepair-02.jpg

bkrepair-03.jpg
I just want to point out that one plant going hermie, or not going hermie, for that matter - is not enough to dispel the thought. Every plant is individual, and some of them can handle a lot of stress, and some can't. It doesn't matter that it doesn't happen every time, the fact that it CAN happen is what is important, the factor you have to keep in mind when you are causing stress (intentional or otherwise) to your plant.

I just want to point out that one plant going hermie, or not going hermie, for that matter - is not enough to dispel the thought. Every plant is individual, and some of them can handle a lot of stress, and some can't. It doesn't matter that it doesn't happen every time, the fact that it CAN happen is what is important, the factor you have to keep in mind when you are causing stress (intentional or otherwise) to your plant.
Good point... I just hear a lot about stress causing hermis and I can see that to a point. I just personally think it has more to do with genetics than stress or combo of both.

Got my 5 replacements transplanted today, 3 are doing well and the other 2 are struggling. Because they are Bubba Kush bag seed, I figured a few would be struggling plants. I just took all the BK seeds I had and let grow the ones that sprouted. If I get 3 out five survive and produce I'll be happy.

:lot-o-toke:

Update on this plant: She is doing ok and now, even with being topped, 5 1/2 feet from dirt to tops. She has also continued to slowly flower.

Kush-01-900.jpg

Kush-1-flower-1.jpg

Update: Still going and growing, it is now 5'9". Flowering is going slow but, it is progressing and starting to have that skunky smell when you give the branches a gentile twist. It has healed as much as I think it can. Most cuts even with tape split open. I did notice though there is also a slit in an area I did not cut. It is what it is and should al least give some bud for all the worry and strife. The replacements are doing well for the most part. One is looking lanky and bare at the bottom but the top is looking good. In the first pic you can see a couple of them in the foreground.

Kush-01-7-21-21.jpg

Pre Flower:
Kush-1-flower-2.jpg

The next are of the cuts and how they healed, The first is of the hole that started this whole thing:

Kush-01 repair heal-01.jpg

Natural Split Below cuts that I made (Black inside)
Kush-01 repair heal-02.jpg

Kush-01 repair heal-04.jpg

Kush-01 repair heal-05.jpg

This poor plant has been though hell. The brown curld leaves are from when it had other issues and topped it. As they get used up I have been slowly picking them off. Most of the new growth looks fine. Just goes to show IMO that these plants can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Yeah I agree, can't control the monsters this year. It is a nice change from last year when I could have fit 4 in the same bucket. :rofl: I'm upgrading to 10 gal fabric pots for the green house. ;)

Back
Top Bottom