Applying for Medical Pot ID Cards Begins in San Bernardino County

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Wanda Smith hopes to be among the first to receive a patient identification card when San Bernardino County begins implementing the state's medical marijuana program.

Two years ago a physician recommended the use of marijuana to Smith, who lives in the High Desert town of Phelan, to treat ailments that include diabetes and pancreatic and muscle conditions. The 59-year-old grandmother initially was treated with morphine but it made her vomit, she said. Marijuana helps relieve the pain and allows her to function, she said.

"It made me nervous that I don't have a card," Smith said. "I just don't want to go to jail."

Her wait for an ID card that will allow her to legally buy marijuana is almost over.

After losing a three-year legal battle against the state program, the county agreed in June to begin providing medical marijuana patient identification cards. The U.S. Supreme Court declined in May to hear the county's legal challenge to the state's program, which it claimed conflicted with federal drug laws.

A county ordinance adopted by the Board of Supervisors on July 14 takes effect today.

To apply for an identification card, residents must fill out a form available online and call the county public health department to make an appointment to submit it, said Jim Lindley, public health director.

The county will begin taking appointments today. Lindley said appointments were not taken in advance because the county did not want to start until the ordinance had taken effect.

At their appointment, patients must provide photo identification, proof of county residency and written documentation from a physician explaining why marijuana use is recommended. The application includes a list of illnesses for which marijuana could be prescribed, ranging from AIDS and cancer to chronic pain and seizures.

Lindley said the department wants to ensure that patients have all the information required under state guidelines when they come in for their appointments, which are expected to take 15 to 20 minutes.

The county then will submit the applications, along with photos of the applicants, to the state. State officials enter the information into a database, manufacture the cards and return them to the county to distribute, Lindley said.

He said he expects the process to take about 30 days.

"We're hoping it goes smoothly," Lindley said. "We want to issue the cards in a timely manner."

Five public health employees have received state training to handle the applications. No extra staff has been hired, Lindley said.

If the county sees an initial rush of a few thousand applicants, some patients may have to wait a week or longer to meet with public health department staff.

San Bernardino is one of the state's last counties to provide cards for patients. Forty-eight other counties, including Riverside, offer them.

Scott Bledsoe, a Crestline resident who sued the county in January because of its refusal to provide cards, said he wasn't satisfied with the pace but is glad a program is in place.

"They're finally going to do what they should have done years ago," he said.

Patients still may find it necessary to travel to other counties to find access to medical marijuana, however. Many San Bernardino County cities have banned dispensaries or issued moratoriums, and the county has extended its moratorium until next June.

The Board of Supervisors took that action to give planners time to create an ordinance with zoning and licensing rules.

Julie Rynerson Rock, land use services director, has said she hopes to bring a proposal to the planning commission before the end of the year.

[sidebar]

MARIJUANA CARDS

San Bernardino County today begins the process of issuing medical marijuana cards to patients with prescriptions from their physicians.

How do I get an appointment? Call the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, 800-782-4264, between 9 a.m. and noon and 1 and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday:

Where do I get an application? Visit County of San Bernardino Department of Public Health Medical Marijuana

What information must I provide? Photo identification, proof of county residency and written documentation from a physician explaining why marijuana is necessary.

How much does it cost? $166 for non-Medi-Cal patients, $83 for Medi-Cal patients.

How long will it take? If many people call, there could be a delay in scheduling an appointment. Appointments will take 15-20 minutes. Cards will be delivered about a month later.

Can I legally buy marijuana in San Bernardino County? The county has extended a moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries in unincorporated areas until June 2010.

Source: San Bernardino County Public Health Department

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Press-Enterprise (Riverside, CA)
Copyright: 2009 The Press-Enterprise Company
Contact: Opinion | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California
Website: PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California
Author: Imran Ghori

Back
Top Bottom