Automaria II (First Grow)

I will get some seedling/sprout soil ASAP!

Make sure it isnt too hot (nutrient wise.) Dont forget to pot down

Make sure it isnt too hot (nutrient wise.) Dont forget to pot down
Also, if you get a decent soil mix, you should not have to feed nutes for 2 weeks. Dont forget to keep your soil PH aroud 6.5.

Will pick up some small cups after work as well as the new soil.

Didnt catch the exact name of it, but it looked allot more seedling friendly than this soil does, this appears to be bark mulch lol, just not for such small plants, or meant for 100% soil.

The other stuff suggests it has all the vermiculite, peat moss, lime for PH balancing and didnt even mention time released nutes!

Will add pics when I get the chance.

Thanks for not giving up as easy as I was ready too, helping me stay optimistic:thanks::peace:

Yo, I'm not sure if you're still giving your plants 24hr light, but that is a no no. It may seem longest possible daylight is a good thing, but it actually hinders the plant. Every night when the lights go out, the plant goes through building processes that it can't during the daytime, and by giving continuous light, you eliminate that period of growth. 20/4 is the most light a plant can handle, and 18/6 would be best for any plant.

That's how I learned it anyway, first read it in Jorge Cervantes' Grow Bible. Then heard it from some people in the hydro bizz and old growers.

The extra hours of light may seem like a great idea, but it's all cash out the pocket.

On another note, I recommend using something like airpots, or meshpots. I use the Meshpot, because they're easy to make (Just need some fiberglass screen and some fishing line for thread), and they work amazingly. Plants grow so fast it's hard to believe.

Yo, I'm not sure if you're still giving your plants 24hr light, but that is a no no. It may seem longest possible daylight is a good thing, but it actually hinders the plant. Every night when the lights go out, the plant goes through building processes that it can't during the daytime, and by giving continuous light, you eliminate that period of growth. 20/4 is the most light a plant can handle, and 18/6 would be best for any plant.

That's how I learned it anyway, first read it in Jorge Cervantes' Grow Bible. Then heard it from some people in the hydro bizz and old growers.

The extra hours of light may seem like a great idea, but it's all cash out the pocket.

On another note, I recommend using something like airpots, or meshpots. I use the Meshpot, because they're easy to make (Just need some fiberglass screen and some fishing line for thread), and they work amazingly. Plants grow so fast it's hard to believe.

Ya ive always seen about normal plants to do a photocycle but from the research Ive done for autoflowers everyone seems to do fine on 24/0. Read it in several threads, can put links later.

I wish I knew about airpots back when I bought everything & was getting started, will def. try that next time around! Your mesh pots sound pretty cool to keep it DIY, like the idea!

Thanks for the feedback Lou, not dismissing the 18/6 lighting cycle, again wouldnt take much other than a simple $18 timer, I just dont think AFs need it, but then again I'm a 110% n00b.

Also got my seedling soil, will transplant later tonight & add pics. :peace::thanks:

Transplant went well

Transplant_22.jpg

Only a few hours later and I swear they're starting to uncurl, made me feel good :grinjoint:

As for the soil
Starting_Soil.jpg

Has vermiculite, peat moss, PH balancing lime, and a watering agent. Doesnt say ANYTHING about nutes, cept "All Natural" so I think its good..

$3.49 for the bag at lowes, very impressed with the contents of it so far! Wish I had done this exact thing a week ago, but you live and learn right?

Transplanted the runt again as well ><" Her short root seems like shes drying up :bitingnails:

Transplant went well

Transplant_22.jpg

Only a few hours later and I swear they're starting to uncurl, made me feel good :grinjoint:

As for the soil
Starting_Soil.jpg

Has vermiculite, peat moss, PH balancing lime, and a watering agent. Doesnt say ANYTHING about nutes, cept "All Natural" so I think its good..

$3.49 for the bag at lowes, very impressed with the contents of it so far! Wish I had done this exact thing a week ago, but you live and learn right?

Transplanted the runt again as well ><" Her short root seems like shes drying up :bitingnails:
As long as you presoaked the soil and let it sit for a few hours, You should not have to water for 2 days (no matter what), maybe 3 depending on how dry the soil feels at about 2 inchs down. You should be good to go and see new growth in a few days. You should try to find out more about the soil online maybe so you can determine if you need to use nutes or not. If it has nutes only water for 2 weeks. Looking good!

I just noticed you dont have holes in the bottoms of the cups, maybe the photo just hides this. But you need to have at least 2 holes for drainage in each.

I did let it soak for a couple hours (maybe 2), and I only cut one hole in the bottom of each cup, about 3/4" hole or so.

Checked the girls this morning and now they leaves of the two plants that were curled UNDER the plant are now starting to curl UPWARD, good grief charlie brown!

But my pride and joy is doing good upfront, when I transplanted her I saw a nice 2" spread of roots :)

Stuck my finger about 1" - 1 1/2" down just recently and was a little dry, so I gave them each a couple drops of water around the base of the plant (also thinking the upward curling was due to lack of hydration).

Going to get that cheap o hydrometer from lowes today, just two long ass prongs and it does PH, Water & light meters, not sure how well it will do for $12 haha.

Stuck my finger about 1" - 1 1/2" down just recently and was a little dry, so I gave them each a couple drops of water around the base of the plant

Lol stop watering them. The soil should not be a little dry an inch down, should be completely dry. Frequent watering is the undertaker. Let them go 2 days from when you soaked the soil. It will take a few days for the effects of overwatering to subside.

Gahhhh I cant! I feel like im negelecting them if I dont even give them a few drops haha.

Like everyone says its crazy with your first grow, I peek on them every 10 min, I just need to remember to K.I.S.S. and let them do their own thing, hell they grow out in just dirt fine!

Will post a pic of the "upcurling" in a few.

This is the meter Im looking to get later, just something cheap & simple. Not sure if anyone has been successful with one or if its a waste of $10.

Not sure if anyone has been successful with one or if its a waste of $10.

I hate to say buy cheap buy twice, but I can tell you my PH meter alone cost 80 bucks.

I have a PH Meter as well, and a PPM meter (which seems to be waaaaaaay off so Im screwed there) I just wanted to try and tell when to water the plants lol.

But I do agree, you get what you pay for, & by reading the reviews on lowes' website, seems like its a paperweight.

Heres what they look like a couple days after latest transplant
Upward_Curling.jpg

Notice the leaves are now starting to curl upwards??
Just stuck my finger in the soil again and dust even comes up..there isnt really THAT much dampness if at all in the cups, I know, I know, leave em be!

This girl I have a sick feeling is going to be the only one that makes it =(
Pride_Joy.jpg

You only need a PPM meter if youre doing hydro or ebb n flow.
I had everything set to go hydro since I built my cab, but pussed out and decided to go soil for my first grow or two as I THOUGHT it would be easier haha. Couldnt imagine the headache Id have with hydro for a first go. Thanks for all the support Rick!!

I do not believe this soil does as well, 1 of the reasons I got it, vs. the MG seedling soil. I have all the Micro/Gro/Bloom & had planned to water with my own, with the PPM meter, but it isnt working.

I just thought with the MG soil Id have that NUTEY taste come harvest time since you cant really flush your plants (at least my understanding).

This girl I have a sick feeling is going to be the only one that makes it

Stay positive bro. The world has a funny way of happening around you the way you think it will.

I bet they all make it.

Also I see your keeping your light on all the time. I would try 20/4. During sunny days, photosynthesis outperforms respiration in the plant. At night the only process that occurs is respiration. Having a night cycle allows the plant to take in more oxygen. Your plants are not breathing as well as they could. This might also help to stop your soil from drying out too quick.

Stay positive bro. The world has a funny way of happening around you the way you think it will.

I bet they all make it.

Funny you say that, I have felt as if when I have a positive outlook, things seem to go smooth, again man thanks for all the support, dont know where I'd be without it :thanks:

So many people are telling me to go with a light schedule, guess Ill break down and get a timer.

Would you suggest transplanting AGAIN with some MG time release ferts?? That just means Ill have to transplant for the 100th time come flowering when I want to flush all that crap out of the girls.

I gave my buddy one of my seeds, and in a month his is about a foot tall with MG soil! WTF. But like I've said, from my research his will taste "Nutey".

Back
Top Bottom