Bad planning outdoor grow

Gee

I have to thank a member for telling me to start thinking about supporting the plant. I have occasional gusty winds in my area.

My two monstrous ones are a challenge. Tried the outdoor ScrOG but it still wasn’t supportive enough. I finished one large one and broke a tiny bud site (anything break hurts tho lol)

What ideas do you have got for my next one. The same thing??? My large ones are in front and from topping some of the branches are sorta big for the fence and I don’t want to break them. Smaller plants are in back and are good to go

One of these days I will figure out how to post on the growers forum
DC2F7D5A-82AE-4B4F-9B5A-D1174E8AF2D1.jpeg
854F39F2-18B3-4F9A-899E-5179B10F6135.jpeg
2F4EEFA6-CD20-43C9-B627-F9BEB7853BD2.jpeg

At first I was wondering how you were going to water your plants. I saw how in your last photo.

What size are your pots?
What size of fencing did you use?
What size mesh of fencing did you use? 2" X 4"?

I'd take a look at the vids on YouTube from those growing tree size plants. I think they start like you have, and later put a second ring of fencing in. They may have put some over the initial ring to assist in training. Just use the same technique scaled down to your size.

It's going to get tight in your grow space. You may want to put the plants on a base with casters to allow you to move them around. You could mount stainless steel threaded rod on the base to tie your fencing to. A wider base with the rods would help keep your plants upright in the wind. The plants will act like sails and blow over in a strong wind if you don't.

At first I was wondering how you were going to water your plants. I saw how in your last photo.

What size are your pots?
What size of fencing did you use?
What size mesh of fencing did you use? 2" X 4"?

I'd take a look at the vids on YouTube from those growing tree size plants. I think they start like you have, and later put a second ring of fencing in. They may have put some over the initial ring to assist in training. Just use the same technique scaled down to your size.

It's going to get tight in your grow space. You may want to put the plants on a base with casters to allow you to move them around. You could mount stainless steel threaded rod on the base to tie your fencing to. A wider base with the rods would help keep your plants upright in the wind. The plants will act like sails and blow over in a strong wind if you don't.

Thanks for the reply. The pots are 7 and 10 gallon pots. Trying one pot for each strain. The fence is 2”x4” square inch openings and 4 feet high. I am using zip ties to secure the cage to the fence. Going to put cardboard under for sliding, for the moment.

I moved out two plants only leaving 3. I may cut it down to two plants In that enclosed area.

What are your thoughts on using this fence/cage for supporting branches and then for bud support wrap the cage with trellis netting??

I used 2" X 2" fencing to support the branches in my tent. This is in a frame that can be raises as the plants grow.

You might be better off making inserts from your fencing that rests on the horizontal wires. Use cable ties or springs to hold them in place. Train the outer branches to grow through your fencing. Perhaps one every fourth vertical wire. The center branches could come up through the inserts. Inserts made of your fencing material would strengthen the cage.

I think a strong wind will end up blowing them over. Perhaps using the patio fence to support them could work.

Back
Top Bottom