Bad rooting, plants not branching what have I done?

MrMackey

Yo fellow growers hoping you can help me been growing a long time but only 2years or so in coco I used to hit very nice yields bit the past 6months have been quite bad and I can’t get me head round it but I’ve noticed my roots are so weak as you see in the pics! I’ve not changed a thing in the past 2 years including my light bulbs which I’m about to do but surely that can’t cause bad roots? Any ideas?

Attachments

• DCA620DE-E222-45A5-80DC-9977F8898DE5.png
    DCA620DE-E222-45A5-80DC-9977F8898DE5.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 113
  • EE4BE9F8-B81C-40C4-8161-549E11A6E6EB.png
    EE4BE9F8-B81C-40C4-8161-549E11A6E6EB.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 140
Need a lot more info on your setup and what you are and arnt doing

Need a lot more info on your setup and what you are and arnt doing

Yeah man if you list what they are currently being fed, pH, ec and the temps and RH.

Super frustrating when you have not changed anything and issues arise, here to help where I can.

TD.

Some info that might help. Day temps are 23-25c night 19-21 rh 50-65% lights are 600w mh around 2ft above tips My water ec is 0.4 I add calmag to 0.7 then advanced micro grow bloom in equal measures to
1.2 for the 1l pots at 1.4-1.6 for the 8l pots along with h&g roots excelurator, hesi supervit and greatwhite sprinkled in the hole on transplant. Water temps are 17-20c and co2 Ppms 600-800 tried experimenting and no noticeable difference

Yeah man if you list what they are currently being fed, pH, ec and the temps and RH.

Super frustrating when you have not changed anything and issues arise, here to help where I can.

TD.
Sorry guys had a call as I was typing out my setup forgot to add I ph between 5.7-6.1 in veg and hand water 4/5 days a week the 1l pots get 50-100ml per day depending how fast they drink and the 8l pots get 200-300ml per day

Are they clones or from seed? I've had clones that rooted but never really grew much no matter what I did, I've learned too that some strains really just don't like to be cloned. Everything else you're doing sounds bang on so you shouldn't be having this issue, I'd chalk it up to bad genetics and toss the plant.

Are they clones or from seed? I've had clones that rooted but never really grew much no matter what I did, I've learned too that some strains really just don't like to be cloned. Everything else you're doing sounds bang on so you shouldn't be having this issue, I'd chalk it up to bad genetics and toss the plant.
There clones of a gg4 mother I’ve had for 18+months the healthiest happiest clones u could wish for bursting with thick bristly roots the mother is in tip top condition too and I have 2 friends that have done really well on the same clones but in completely different setups so I’m pretty sure it’s not the strain plus I’m starting to get the same thing on my skywalker og aswel

There clones of a gg4 mother I’ve had for 18+months the healthiest happiest clones u could wish for bursting with thick bristly roots the mother is in tip top condition too and I have 2 friends that have done really well on the same clones but in completely different setups so I’m pretty sure it’s not the strain plus I’m starting to get the same thing on my skywalker og aswel
I'd still toss them and start over, the roots in the picture you posted look pretty thin and if they aren't really growing then there's no point in keeping them around. Only thing I could think of otherwise is they aren't getting enough light or the media is getting too dry between watering.

I'd still toss them and start over, the roots in the picture you posted look pretty thin and if they aren't really growing then there's no point in keeping them around. Only thing I could think of otherwise is they aren't getting enough light or the media is getting too dry between watering.
Interesting about the light I thought the same I’ve just picked up new bulbs for the mh I veg under they haven’t been changed in about 20months of constant 18hour use as for the being to dry I’ve tried both extremes of watering to run off daily and using minimal with no change on that one. I’ll let you know if the bulbs make a difference fitting them tomoro

Interesting about the light I thought the same I’ve just picked up new bulbs for the mh I veg under they haven’t been changed in about 20months of constant 18hour use as for the being to dry I’ve tried both extremes of watering to run off daily and using minimal with no change on that one. I’ll let you know if the bulbs make a difference fitting them tomoro
That's a huge factor, I've never had a MH bulb last me more than 4 months before I toss it, they degrade pretty rapidly, probably should have mentioned that sooner lol. If you're in coco coir you need to treat it like hydro and never let those roots dry out. But also sometimes clones just don't take, I'd say out of every 36 clones I produce, at least 8 go in the trash, but I'm overly picky with them.

That's a huge factor, I've never had a MH bulb last me more than 4 months before I toss it, they degrade pretty rapidly, probably should have mentioned that sooner lol. If you're in coco coir you need to treat it like hydro and never let those roots dry out. But also sometimes clones just don't take, I'd say out of every 36 clones I produce, at least 8 go in the trash, but I'm overly picky with them.
Ahh man I hope your right I’ll kick myself square in the nuts if it is I’ve been chasing all sorts of things wondering where I’m going wrong. I’m fussy with clones too and always pot up 10% more than I need but yeh lately there all as shit as eachother lol

My rooted clones go in a box that's 1'x2'x2' with 120w of CFL almost touching them, anything less light wise and they don't like to grow, my mother is under 500w of QB (allegedly a 1000w SE HPS equivalent if you believe the hype). I chalk it up to the mother being used to a lot of light, the clones need the same amount to flourish. I loved using MH/HPS but got sick of changing bulbs

And I have had the opposite. Clones that did not root but after a couple of weeks started growing and even branching. Then that would stop and I would check the roots and there were or just a couple short roots.

@MrMackey, if you have time and want to experiment I suggest transplanting it. Sometimes the shock of a transplant wakes up the roots and even starts the top to grow and send out the side branches. It does take two or three weeks to tell if it worked.

Another option is to either transplant or put back into the same container and cut the top half of the plant off. You can toss the cutting or try to root it. That sometimes works for me but it also takes 2-3 weeks to see results, or no results because nothing happened.

Good luck and enjoy the day.

My rooted clones go in a box that's 1'x2'x2' with 120w of CFL almost touching them, anything less light wise and they don't like to grow, my mother is under 500w of QB (allegedly a 1000w SE HPS equivalent if you believe the hype). I chalk it up to the mother being used to a lot of light, the clones need the same amount to flourish. I loved using MH/HPS but got sick of changing bulbs
Thanks for the confidence that I could be in the right direction man I’ll put an update in a week or so if I see a difference from the bulbs being changed

And I have had the opposite. Clones that did not root but after a couple of weeks started growing and even branching. Then that would stop and I would check the roots and there were or just a couple short roots.

@MrMackey, if you have time and want to experiment I suggest transplanting it. Sometimes the shock of a transplant wakes up the roots and even starts the top to grow and send out the side branches. It does take two or three weeks to tell if it worked.

Another option is to either transplant or put back into the same container and cut the top half of the plant off. You can toss the cutting or try to root it. That sometimes works for me but it also takes 2-3 weeks to see results, or no results because nothing happened.

Good luck and enjoy the day.
Thanks for the tip bro you sure your not spying on me because that’s exactly what I did the day I made this thread lol put them in to 8l pots and topped them right down to basically the size of a cutting again that’s the only way I’ve been managing to get a decent shape plant ready to flip but still killing me that all that effort and a 4-5week veg still rewarding me 20-30% less than when I vegged for 3weeks and had the sexiest roots ever with no change from what I’m still doing lol

Thanks for the tip bro you sure your not spying on me because that’s exactly what I did the day I made this thread lol put them in to 8l pots and topped them right down to basically the size of a cutting again that’s the only way I’ve been managing to get a decent shape plant ready to flip but still killing me that all that effort and a 4-5week veg still rewarding me 20-30% less than when I vegged for 3weeks and had the sexiest roots ever with no change from what I’m still doing lol
I know what you mean about the loss of time when we have to wait longer for a plant or two. I just hate to throw out one that seems to be healthy but growing a bit slow. Sometimes they recover and produce just as well as any other clone or better.

Back
Top Bottom