Barenaked Ladies Frontman Expecting “Healing and Growth”

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Steven Page, the frontman of Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies, has been given a generous chance by a judge, should he enter a rehabilitation center to treat his substance abuse problem and stay clean for the next six months.

Steven Page made a brief appearance in Fayetteville Village Court Tuesday, where village justice Thomas J. Miller said the musician could avoid jail time on a misdemeanor drug charge if he succeeds in being legally irreproachable for six months. This includes seeking substance abuse treatment and staying clean for half a year.

Page pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge. However, if he meets the conditions, the drug possession charges will be dropped, Miller said.

Steven Page, 38, was arrested in mid-July near Syracuse, N.Y., after police officers noticed a car parked suspiciously and found the singer and two women in a nearby apartment, with marijuana and cannabis in their possession.

Both women, Christine Benedicto, Page’s girlfriend, and her roommate, Stephanie Ford, were charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance at the time. Benedicto, 27, and Ford, 25, were given the same plea agreement as Page.

The singer must have heaved a huge sigh of relief upon hearing the judge’s decision Tuesday, since he faced up to five and a half years behind bars if he had been convicted on the felony fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance count initially charged against him.

Page’s attorney said prosecutors acquiesced to show such leniency because the singer had no previous criminal record and because lab analyses had revealed that the drugs were “lower in quantity and lower in quality” than first suspected.

Outside of the courtroom, Page thanked his fans for their support and encouragement and expressed gratitude to the friends and “loved ones” who had been with him through this period. He also apologized to the people who may have felt hurt or embarrassed by the episode. Page added he looked forward to a period of “healing and growth.”

Barenaked Ladies was formed nearly two decades ago in Toronto. Page is a founding member of the group. The band has released twelve albums, the most recent being “Snacktime!” which in early May made it among the Top 10 Canadian albums, reaching No. 10, and peaked at No. 61 on the Billboard 200. The album is a collection of two dozen original children’s songs.

A message on the band’s website announces Barenaked Ladies will return to the studio later this year to start work on a new album that will celebrate 20 years together.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: eFluxMedia
Author: Jane Ivory
Copyright: 2008 eFluxMedia
Website: Barenaked Ladies Frontman Expecting “Healing and Growth”

and found the singer and two women in a nearby apartment, with marijuana and cannabis in their possession
oh my . . . they not only had marijuana but cannabis as well!
Page’s attorney said prosecutors acquiesced to show such leniency because the singer had no previous criminal record and because lab analyses had revealed that the drugs were “lower in quantity and lower in quality” than first suspected.
you get sentenced based on quality??

What they meant to say was, "The quality of the expensive lawyers." I'm sure if they'd been black or something, in Texas, they'd be state slaves for the next 5-10 years.

Re: Barenaked Ladies Frontman Expecting "Healing and Growth"

He had co*e and two hookers for chrissakes.I love the way these guys have to pretend to be all contrite and say they're addicted to pot and they want to change their lives.I realise it's his career but it's so two faced and phony.It's like that TV show,"Busted"where they take kids and make them speak of the evils of marijuana on television by threatening them with all kinds of draconian punishments.This drug war is so sick and the kids that are the cops are so clueless themselves I think they may actually believe the crap they preach.Where do they find these brainwashed drones that make a living chasing kids in a search for a roach so they can screw up the kids lives?One place it's a misdemeanor and right next door it's a felony with 20 years as a possible result.That should be against a persons right to equal treatment under the law.:peace:

Honestly, sicntired, you've hit on something that I've been considered as a part of the conspiracy. That is to say, judges and lawyers have been allowing being drugged or drunk as a defense. By doing so, they create an angst against the use thereof, and thereby they create the atmosphere, so to speak, for prohibition.

By saying this, the frontman (I won't scroll up to see his name... it's Brian I think...) has opened himself up for leniency. Let's put it this way sic, you get busted for some stuff and the DA says to you, "Hey, admit to your guilt. Tell the world that you were naughty and intend on changing your ways. Then we'll let you out with a slap on the wrist, a bit of a spanky wank, and on you go. Or, you can spend the next twenty years in prison." Come on, who here, or anyone who is in support of herbal legalization would react any different? My point shouldn't be distracted by my latter argument - the law is merciless if you don't conform to their point of view.

Re: Barenaked Ladies Frontman Expecting "Healing and Growth"

Absolutely,you'd have to be nuts to turn them down.It's the metaphorical gun to the head.One of the most insidious tactics in the drug war.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom