Beginner grower and wondering if I’m doing things right

Causticz

420 Member
Hi i just started growing a few weeks ago. i’m pretty sure my sprouts are entering vegetive mode. i’m using two 13 watt CFL bulbs, potting mix, and i make sure the dirt is constantly moist. i’m planning to transplant them into a 2-4 gallon pots. i plan on taking out the males fast to harvest their seeds. they grew tall (for sprouts) and i transplanted them into bit bigger pots. the grow place is in a closet that stays shut full of light. i don’t have any fancy gear yet but they seem to be doing good but i’m just a beginner so i’m not too sure. the transplant was was about 2 days ago. i’d appreciate any advice or tips to make this successful.
014CF7DC-4DD0-4CC4-9679-E3E89D7C0A0A.jpeg
0061A3CC-E160-4539-B8AB-49231D8B873C.jpeg
2B2DCA38-E701-45A5-9456-4F769DA788AD.jpeg
F1A07306-EB53-4A92-9AB2-742FEA8A4FD4.jpeg
4FE746AE-BA4F-4B29-ADBD-27312CDA6319.jpeg

Hi Causticz,

Welcome to forums at 420! Males don’t produce seeds, a chick does but only after she’s been pollinated by a male. The reason they are growing tall is they are stretching to find more light. Two seeds in same container does not work out well, they fight for resources so each plant can only reach half of its potential. You will need more lights and better airflow.

All this may sound harsh but your crew looks good so far! Now would be a great time to drop a grow journal down so we can keep an eye on your plants. How to make a grow journal

more will jump in later

Try filling your pots half or a third and when u get that stretch you can add more soil.Wont go over what 013 said
but my advice get those cfl lights as close to the ladies (and gents) as you can without heat stress.If it was me first
time out get rid of those males.Grow from a clone from a lady. And welcome my friend doing much better than me first
time out :welcome: :thumb:

Howdy do and welcome.

I agree with everything @013 mentioned.
We all had to start at the beginning and you have come to the right place to learn and help is always available. But!!
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't get a more substantial light soon, most of those seedlings are not going to make it into adulthood. I would pick a few of the best looking one's and bin the rest. Concentrate on a few plants for your first grow.
Get your lights closer for now and add as many as you can until you can upgrade to a higher powered light. It is possible to make it to the end with CFLs but you need a lot of them.
Keep posting updates as well. Hopefully we can all help you get to that first harvest!

What seeds did you plant?

Edit!
You have done the first step right. They have germinated, that is not always a guaranteed step in the process. I've buggered up loads of seeds. Too wet, too dry, too old and they never break ground. So you have done better than I did on my first attempt

Squiggz

Hi Causticz,

Welcome to forums at 420! Males don’t produce seeds, a chick does but only after she’s been pollinated by a male. The reason they are growing tall is they are stretching since they are not getting enough light. Two seeds in same container does not work out well, they fight for resources so each plant can only reach half of its potential.

more will jump in later
Thank you for clearing up the confusion about the male and female! i’m going to upgrade my lights because i thought that might be a problem. also i’m aware that growing two and one pot is not a good idea but it’s more of to see the results.

Howdy do and welcome.

I agree with everything @013 mentioned.
We all had to start at the beginning and you have come to the right place to learn and help is always available. But!!
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't get a more substantial light soon, most of those seedlings are not going to make it into adulthood. I would pick a few of the best looking one's and bin the rest. Concentrate on a few plants for your first grow.
Get your lights closer for now and add as many as you can until you can upgrade to a higher powered light. It is possible to make it to the end with CFLs but you need a lot of them.
Keep posting updates as well. Hopefully we can all help you get to that first harvest!

What seeds did you plant?

Squiggz
i’m planning on putting a lot more lights in from the advice i’ve gotten. the seeds i planted was from my dealer. i’ve only gotten really good weed from them so i can’t exactly say the exact type. i currently have 26 total watts what would be a good watt level to grow at?

Might want to look at the sponsors @Mars Hydro and @ViparSpectra . Would be a good starting point.
Thank you for clearing up the confusion about the male and female! i’m going to upgrade my lights because i thought that might be a problem. also i’m aware that growing two and one pot is not a good idea but it’s more of to see the results.

i’m planning on putting a lot more lights in from the advice i’ve gotten. the seeds i planted was from my dealer. i’ve only gotten really good weed from them so i can’t exactly say the exact type. i currently have 26 total watts what would be a good watt level to grow at?
That all depends on how many plants you want to grow and that all depends on the space you have to grow in. Does your budget allow you to buy a purpose built grow light? My first grow was with CFLs I had one plant under 100 watts of CFLs and a t5 fitting. It grew, but it was not optimal.

That all depends on how many plants you want to grow and that all depends on the space you have to grow in. Does your budget allow you to buy a purpose built grow light? My first grow was with CFLs I had one plant under 100 watts of CFLs and a t5 fitting. It grew, but it was not optimal.
my budget will allow me to buy 100-150 cfl bulbs but i want to grow about 2-6 plants. so i’d have to have about 100-150 watts per plant?

I have grown two ladies under 100 watts of light not a cfl was a purple led.Kinda depends on how big u want
to grow them tbh. I had great results just 3 months for 1and half oz per plant due to keeping them small. Made
me upgrade after i learnt the basic methods etc.

my budget will allow me to buy 100-150 cfl bulbs but i want to grow about 2-6 plants. so i’d have to have about 100-150 watts per plant?
You may have to concentrate on one plant for now mate. You will only get frustrated if you try and grow more with the set up you have. You may get 2 plants growing under those CFLs but it's not ideal.
More members will be along soon and they will also advise. I'm just going off my own personal experiences with CFLs.

I have grown two ladies under 100 watts of light not a cfl was a purple led.Kinda depends on how big u want
to grow them tbh. I had great results just 3 months for 1and half oz per plant due to keeping them small. Made
me upgrade after after i learnt the basic methoods etc.
You may have to concentrate on one plant for now mate. You will only get frustrated if you try and grow more with the set up you have. You may get 2 plants growing under those CFLs but it's not ideal.
More members will be along soon and they will also advise. I'm just going off my own personal experiences with CFLs.
i’m ordering a 600 watt mars hydro hanging light. i’ve added two more cfls and i plan on taking out most of the plants and leaving 3. thank you guys for all the advice.

i’m ordering a 600 watt mars hydro hanging light. i’ve added two more cfls and i plan on taking out most of the plants and leaving 3. thank you guys for all the advice.
That's more like it. A proper light. @Nunyabiz is right. They are not optimal But there's some people that can't afford anything other than CFLs. I couldn't afford an led at the time and had to make do with dollar store CFLs bulbs. It worked, but I will say it again. It's not Ideal

wow Nice light might take a new grows but wont take you long to dial it in with your environment / space.
Just ask if you need any help LOADS of support around here m8.

my budget will allow me to buy 100-150 cfl bulbs
I've just realised that you said 150 bulbs :rofl: I thought it was 150 watts you could afford.
Fook me! 150 bulbs would be a nightmare to wire up and hang:rofl:
Sorry, my bad:rofl:

You need more light - a lot more light. I think you'll get a crop as-is, but it won't amount to much. What are you using for soil? Looks a little dense. Also, let your babies dry out some before watering. They don't like their feet wet. Photo or auto? If photo, you may need 5+ gallon pots. Auto s/b fine with 3-4 gal pots.

Back
Top Bottom