Bernie Sanders Introduces Bill Ending The Federal Ban On Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has introduced a bill that would end federal prohibition of marijuana, marking the latest move the Democratic presidential candidate has made toward ending the war on drugs.

The Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act, introduced Wednesday, is modeled after a bill first proposed by Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) in 2013, which was reintroduced this year as the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act. The Senate bill would remove marijuana from the Drug Enforcement Administration's list of the "most dangerous" drugs and strike marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, allowing states to decide whether they want to legalize pot for recreational or medical use without federal intervention.

“Just as alcohol prohibition failed in the 1920s, it’s clear marijuana prohibition is failing today,” Polis said in a statement. “For decades, the federal ban on marijuana has wasted tax dollars, impeded our criminal justice system, lined the pockets of drug cartels, and trampled on states’ ability to set their own public health laws. ... Today’s introduction of the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act in the Senate is a huge step forward in the movement to enact the commonsense drug laws needed to grow our economy and restore fairness to our justice system."

The bill comes a week after Sanders first proposed reclassifying marijuana as a less-dangerous substance, arguing that doing so is an essential component of reforming America's criminal justice system.

"In the United States we have 2.2 million people in jail today, more than any other country. And we’re spending about $80 billion a year to lock people up. We need major changes in our criminal justice system – including changes in drug laws,” Sanders said at George Mason University on Oct. 28. “Too many Americans have seen their lives destroyed because they have criminal records as a result of marijuana use. That’s wrong. That has got to change."

Sanders' bill differs slightly from the House version, which also includes structures for regulating marijuana. Polis' bill would transfer the DEA's authority over marijuana to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and would amend federal alcohol laws to include provisions for importing and shipping marijuana as well as other commerce-related regulations. The Senate version of the bill does not include these provisions.

The legislation garnered praise from legalization advocacy groups.

"This is the first time a bill to end federal marijuana prohibition has been introduced in the U.S. Senate," said Tom Angell, chairman of Marijuana Majority. "A growing majority of Americans want states to be able to enact their own marijuana laws without harassment from the DEA, and lawmakers should listen. The introduction of this bill proves that the defeat of the Ohio marijuana monopoly measure that wasn’t widely supported in our movement isn’t doing anything to slow down our national momentum."

"The science is clear that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, and that should be reflected in our nation’s marijuana policy," Marijuana Policy Project's Mason Tvert said. "Sen. Sanders is simply proposing that we treat marijuana similarly to how we treat alcohol at the federal level, leaving most of the details to the states. It is a commonsense proposal that is long overdue in the Senate."

A Gallup poll released last month found 58 percent of Americans are in favor of legalizing marijuana use.

16464.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Bernie Sanders Introduces Bill Ending The Federal Ban On Marijuana
Author: Mollie Reilly
Photo Credit: CNBC News

I think Bernie is going for the marijuana community votes. Even if he were to get this passed, he has a long way to go to become president. Just another card being shuffled. Most states have done it without Bernie.

I think Bernie is going for the marijuana community votes. Even if he were to get this passed, he has a long way to go to become president. Just another card being shuffled. Most states have done it without Bernie.
While that statement is true, I know here in Oregon we did, but until things change on the federal level no one is truly safe. Do not forget that federal laws trump state laws, and while the feds have been playing ball, for the most part, with the states who have legalized it, there is nothing preventing them from changing their position and cracking down on federal law. I think it is great that we here in Oregon and the other states who have also legalized it are willing to stand up to the feds and say, enough is enough but until the federal laws are changed, no one is truly safe. Remember the federal government has a record of ignoring the facts and doing as they please if it follows their agenda. Lets not forget what Nixon did with the reports from his own council of experts. When they showed the results were exactly opposite of what he wanted, he just threw them out, ignored them then did as he pleased.
It must be addressed at a federal level for everyone to be truly safe from this unjust prohibition

Backing away slowly from my soap box
grabbing another cup of coffee
Peace
OG

At least he is paying attention, far more than any other candidate that and I believe that we can trust him far more than than the others. As for the States that have legalized MMJ and recreational, well kudos to them. However, I am currently stuck in the prohibitionist State of Floriduh and would greatly welcome the removal of cannabis from the CSA schedule altogether because then and only then can we get serious about research for MMJ and stop the persecution of citizens re: cannabis.

Oh and if Bernie can read this or anyone who knows him can pass it on to him, Thank you, it is about time!!!

I second that in a heartbeat.
BTW, the Fed government is not the only government entity that ignores facts that the 'leaders' dislike as plenty of States are just as bad if not in some instances worse...far worse, for instance Floriduh.

I'm in NY and you're right about Bernie, he is paying the most attention. Though everyone else is not as much, I feel the US has bigger issues that a President should be focused on. MMJ isn't really an issue for President to band wagon and use for vote sharking. Trusting a politician is like trusting your left hand with your right hands job. Bernie might be on the right track with MMJ but the rest of his plans and ideologies are sub par at best. This move only gets him votes but the voters lose a lot more. Besides, when he speaks, you can tell he has rehearsed everything he says over and over again. He's weak on immigration, weak, on education, and he is demonstrating how weak he really is by jumping on OUR MMJ train. WE the people will be the ones to end prohibition, not a politician looking to feed on us. He is just another politician trying to be savior. In the states that have legalized it, it happened because we stood up and voiced our consensus.

Bernie has been my hero for some time now, before he decided to run for president. I think I had the first bumper sticker in the area on my car. To me he seems honest and is not just telling the people what they want to hear. I sure hope he wins.

I wish the President could do what Bernie is doing. I doubt very much that it will pass and probably will get shuffled behind other bills. At least the DEA does not have the money to operate this witch hunt for MJ users. Things will be much easier if there is a change of status, banks will work for us then and carrying around cash will go away. Prisoners need to be released and MJ felonies changed to misdemeanors.

Being old, I actually watch both the republican debates and the democrats debates. (Wish we had a 3rd or even 4th party to choose from.)
While I do believe Mello is right that politicians on both sides of the isle are using MJ as a way to get votes, until one actually acts on those promises then they do not mean shit in my book. Oh there are republicans too saying they feel that the laws need to be changed and the war on drugs is a failed war we need to get out of. Do I believe they will follow through on those promises? Well if they did , they would be a 1st.
Action speaks louder then words. That being said, it the republicans initiate a vote and get it passed to legalize MJ and stop persecuting innocent people for partaking an herb they feel makes their life better, then maybe I will think strongly about voting republican, same goes for the Democrats. But I want action 1st, (the bull shit promises can come later,) before anyone is going to get my vote. Even the probation on alcohol did not take this long to over turn and it is a far more dangerous drug then MJ.

I completely agree. I am neither dem or rep, I follow whoever makes the most sense and has a history of getting things done. All these empty promises and unorthodox solutions to real world problems has to stop. Wake up Washington and start doing your job, the vacation is over!

I second that in a heartbeat.
BTW, the Fed government is not the only government entity that ignores facts that the 'leaders' dislike as plenty of States are just as bad if not in some instances worse...far worse, for instance Floriduh.
Oh I am quiet aware how the game of politics is played.
My condolences for being in such a predicament there in Florida, it is easy for me to speak, living in a state where it is now semi-legal. I use the word semi in there because if it was legal like say Alcohol there would not be stipulations like only 4 plants per household, or you may only possesses up to 1 1/2 pounds per household at any given time. Pretty sure here in Oregon there are no laws stating a household can only have 8 cases of beer per household and no more then 15 packs of cigarets in their procession at any given point of time. So as you can see, while we may have it better then you for now, we are not truly legal. But I keep telling myself, baby steps.. at least we are moving in the right direction, we just are not where we need to be.

I completely agree. I am neither dem or rep, I follow whoever makes the most sense and has a history of getting things done. All these empty promises and unorthodox solutions to real world problems has to stop. Wake up Washington and start doing your job, the vacation is over!

Hey Mello I am sure Washington would reply to you, but unfortunately they are on Vacation at the moment. Perhaps when they get back.

I'm in NY and you're right about Bernie, he is paying the most attention. Though everyone else is not as much, I feel the US has bigger issues that a President should be focused on. MMJ isn't really an issue for President to band wagon and use for vote sharking. Trusting a politician is like trusting your left hand with your right hands job. Bernie might be on the right track with MMJ but the rest of his plans and ideologies are sub par at best. This move only gets him votes but the voters lose a lot more. Besides, when he speaks, you can tell he has rehearsed everything he says over and over again. He's weak on immigration, weak, on education, and he is demonstrating how weak he really is by jumping on OUR MMJ train. WE the people will be the ones to end prohibition, not a politician looking to feed on us. He is just another politician trying to be savior. In the states that have legalized it, it happened because we stood up and voiced our consensus.

How can you tell when a politician is lying? They open their mouths and words come out.

This man and any other politician is merely trying to get your vote but don't expect an election promise to be kept, if it were it would pretty much be the first time. I am not in the USA so it will make little difference to me either way in the short term but in the longer term what happens in the USA happens here eventually.

In those enlightened states that have legalized cannabis, it was not because of the politicians it was in spite of them. The issues were put on the ballot by citizen initiatives. And passed into law by the voters. Now of course some states are trying to make sure that only their wealthy backers benefit by creating monopolies and only their backers will benefit. Of course this has been rejected at the ballot so far but you can bet it will be proposed again and again until they win and you, who have done all the work to get it so far, will lose out in the end. The fight must continue. Cannabis must be permitted to be grown at home by those that use or need it not by some big soulless corporation whose only interest in the plant is profit for their shareholders.

Feel the Bern, guys! :cool:

Bernie might be on the right track with MMJ but the rest of his plans and ideologies are sub par at best. This move only gets him votes but the voters lose a lot more. Besides, when he speaks, you can tell he has rehearsed everything he says over and over again. He's weak on immigration, weak, on education, and he is demonstrating how weak he really is by jumping on OUR MMJ train. WE the people will be the ones to end prohibition, not a politician looking to feed on us. He is just another politician trying to be savior. In the states that have legalized it, it happened because we stood up and voiced our consensus.

Since when does "OUR MMJ train" exclude liberals and the most pro-cannabis candidate for 2016? He's not jumping on the train, he's been supporting the cause for decades and has been one of the most supportive politicians of cannabis before he started running for president. He knows this is the right thing to do and this is not at all like the other candidates who are only hinting their support to get votes. Bernie is taking action with this bill, it's not just talk. But it takes more than one man to change the laws and he's acknowledging the community's movement.

If you want to play a more personal role, we need to get inspired about more elections than just the presidential ones. It's the senators, house representatives, city council elections that stoners neglect and where the opposition is still strongly rooted. Find ways to get involved politically on the local level. But don't deny the strongest supporter of cannabis in this presidential election.

Bernie's other policies are just as sensible, whether you agree with them or not. Your criticisms of him seem emotional and uninformed.

Versai,
I do not disagree with your points and agree that Bernie is the most logical choice we have at the moment, But he is not the only politician who has seen the light when it comes to our failed drug war. When someone passes legislation, and I do not even care if it is just getting it rescheduled to a schedule 3 drug, then I will know for a fact that they are not all bull shit. Believe me when I say I want it to be completely legal and treated no differently then alcohol or tobacco, sometimes we have to settle for small steps, and what is most important for me is to keep innocent brothers and sisters from being thrown into a prison system that will ruin their lives for ever.. That should be, in my humble opinion the top priority over all else. Once that is done, we can work on getting the freedom to grow or smoke all we want, but 1st things 1st.

Feel the Bern, guys! :cool:

Since when does "OUR MMJ train" exclude liberals and the most pro-cannabis candidate for 2016? He's not jumping on the train, he's been supporting the cause for decades and has been one of the most supportive politicians of cannabis before he started running for president. He knows this is the right thing to do and this is not at all like the other candidates who are only hinting their support to get votes. Bernie is taking action with this bill, it's not just talk. But it takes more than one man to change the laws and he's acknowledging the community's movement.

If you want to play a more personal role, we need to get inspired about more elections than just the presidential ones. It's the senators, house representatives, city council elections that stoners neglect and where the opposition is still strongly rooted. Find ways to get involved politically on the local level. But don't deny the strongest supporter of cannabis in this presidential election.

Bernie's other policies are just as sensible, whether you agree with them or not. Your criticisms of him seem emotional and uninformed.

I agree 100 percent about the change starting in local politics. We just recently had city Council elections. I watched as they approached my door step to leavea card or ppamphlet, and if I had the chance I opened the door to welcome them inside my home. I was able to grab 3 of them. When I asked their stance on mmj, 2 asked ME why i asked them, my response "because I'm a voter and I want to know". One said no, the other said they were undecided, and the other said that issue isn't important because "our small town doesn't have a voice loud enough to be heard".
Idiots.....

Back
Top Bottom