Bert's Indoor Soil Grow Journal - 2017 - First Grow!

king bert

420 Member
Hey everybody, I am new to the grow game, but have been doing nothing but researching everything I can... I know I am still a clueless wanderer in the giant forest that is the art of growing marijuana. Got a pretty good deal on the local classifieds for a nice little bundle, including a 4x2x5 foot tent. Pretty stoked! I also bought a Roleadro 300 watt 2nd gen LED to save energy while the babes are little. I thought I would document this grow and make a journal out of it, so here it is :)

Specs:
Pot Size: 3 gallon smart pot (or should I go 5 gallon?)
Medium: Fox Farms Ocean Forest
Lights: (1) 300w Roleadro 2nd Gen.
Nutrients: Fox Farms line
Strain: 4 bagseeds
2 foot x 4 foot x 5 foot tall grow tent
2x clip on fans
6" iPower carbon filter (6" duct booster fan, outside of tent)
300w Roleadro 2nd gen LED for veg
HPS for veg (either 2x 150 watts or 1x 600w, would dim it to 400w)
Fox Farms Ocean Forest

I have 4 seedlings, but I planted one of them about a week before the other 3 (has about 3 nodes... in veg?). I started them in water, then to paper towels, and then to solo cups. I water them every 2 or 3 days or so, whenever the soil is dry. I water with pH ~6.0 water. I just moved the oldest one into a 3 gallon smart pot, which is sitting on a bed of rocks over a drip tray. So far, it looks like they have been digging the 300w LED (18/6 lighting schedule), but what do I know haha. I have a few questions about the future though.

1) will the 300w led be enough to veg 2-4 plants all the way until switching to flower?

2) Should I use 2 150w HPS lights or 1 400w HPS for flowering?

3) Should I switch to 250w or 400w MH at any point before flowering?

I will probably have many more questions, but I know it is a slow process so no rush :) I have researched many different techniques (scrog, lst, topping, supercropping, etc). I think I am going to top them once or twice, and then supercrop them until a week or 2 before flower... But then again, I have never done this and if you think that is a mistake please let me know!
I am totally open to all sorts of ideas! Also if you need any extra information, please ask!

20171223_202129.jpg
20171223_195411.jpg
20171223_195348.jpg
20171223_195336.jpg
20171223_195327.jpg
20171223_194954.jpg
20171223_194907.jpg
20171223_194847.jpg

Hello fellow viewers, here is an update! Still going strong. Got 3 clones coming in this week so hopefully at least 1 or two of these end up as females! I just watered them this morning, and just topped the one in the 3gallon pot just above the 3rd node. It was growing its 5th node. Hopefully it works. Here are the holy pics!

20171230_100124.jpg
20171230_095913.jpg
20171230_095921.jpg
20171230_095936.jpg
20171230_095944.jpg
20171230_100002.jpg
20171230_095952.jpg

I have that same size tent I use for an extra little vegging area. I would say due to height restrictions to be very careful with hps lighting in there. I would most likely keep that led in there at a safe distance especially while they're that small. If they start to stretch lower it an inch or so a day.

I switched to 400w MH about 8 days ago... I didn't think it was supplying enough light to the lil ones, as one had some serious stretching going on... haha I didn't even think to lower it past the recommended height (~20 inches)... I'm gonna give that LED another go... may try to set up some sort of small area so i can get a perpetual system going. We shall see. Im going to keep the MH for now though... have 3 clones on the way as well so i want them to get enough light. Thanks for the response!

I switched to 400w MH about 8 days ago... I didn't think it was supplying enough light to the lil ones, as one had some serious stretching going on... haha I didn't even think to lower it past the recommended height (~20 inches)... I'm gonna give that LED another go... may try to set up some sort of small area so i can get a perpetual system going. We shall see. Im going to keep the MH for now though... have 3 clones on the way as well so i want them to get enough light. Thanks for the response!

No problem. Just remember to keep that MH ample distance from young clones. Good luck!

Hey there!
Do you think putting them off to the sides would be just as effective? or would you recommend raising the lights? Maybe find a way to raise those already going?
Thanks!

Hey Michigander! Thanks for stoppin by! I'm hoping this tent will do me well for flowering as well... just got to make sure to flip to 12/12 before they get too tall... but I also want them to be nice and healthy and strong. I'll raise them today! Thanks for the advice, I was thinking that they should be a little lower just because they were so young. I'll raise them up today :) Hopefully they are ready for transplant soon (into 3 gallon smart pots). I am hoping to switch to flower in about 2-3 weeks. Still waiting for them to tell me that they want their bottled nutes!

Gotta run, it's watering time :)

But before I run, how is that 600w LED doing in that tent? How many plants are under it at one time? This sounds like a much better way to veg than my 400w MH... You happy with the results?
Thanks a bunch!

Hey Michigander! Thanks for stoppin by! I'm hoping this tent will do me well for flowering as well... just got to make sure to flip to 12/12 before they get too tall... but I also want them to be nice and healthy and strong. I'll raise them today! Thanks for the advice, I was thinking that they should be a little lower just because they were so young. I'll raise them up today :) Hopefully they are ready for transplant soon (into 3 gallon smart pots). I am hoping to switch to flower in about 2-3 weeks. Still waiting for them to tell me that they want their bottled nutes!

Gotta run, it's watering time :)

But before I run, how is that 600w LED doing in that tent? How many plants are under it at one time? This sounds like a much better way to veg than my 400w MH... You happy with the results?
Thanks a bunch!

I love my light :circle-of-love:it's a pretty new setup for me, I used to run a veg cabinet with cfls for light. I bought a new house with much bigger grow area for me and upgraded my vegging setup. I'm on my first run with it but I'm really liking it!
right now I'm vegging 4 plants that are about a week away from going to flower. You should stop by my journal and check it out, I'm still vegging so it wouldn't take you long to catch up:thumb: link is in my signature

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom