Best RO system?

jagotf

After a botched attempt at a first grow, I've decided to hookup a reverse osmosis system for better water since the city water that I'm currently on has super high EC/ppm levels using the meter. But the more I search for a good solution to this, the more confused I get with all of the options. Ultimately, I would like a system that isn't going to take a full day to refill my DWC reservoirs, while also not breaking the bank.

So I'm curious what the community here would recommend for a good overall RO system?

:welcome: If you are ok with couple gallons at a time, every few hours then I'd go with a Apec ro-50. I think it's the correct model. It's made in the states and has a 5 filter system. Mounts under sink with a facet. The key is the 5 filter system. Some others with 2 filters don't remove cloorine. It's made for human drinking water so it's kinda pricey but worth it. Been using it for 5 years now. No issues

:welcome: If you are ok with couple gallons at a time, every few hours then I'd go with a Apec ro-50. I think it's the correct model. It's made in the states and has a 5 filter system. Mounts under sink with a facet. The key is the 5 filter system. Some others with 2 filters don't remove cloorine. It's made for human drinking water so it's kinda pricey but worth it. Been using it for 5 years now. No issues

Thanks, and appreciate the input! Unfortunately I think that may be a little small for my outfit, running DWC with 4x5 gallon buckets at the moment. Do you know if they make a larger model maybe?

Thanks, and appreciate the input! Unfortunately I think that may be a little small for my outfit, running DWC with 4x5 gallon buckets at the moment. Do you know if they make a larger model maybe?
Not sure. But I'm guessing they do. I'm a hand waterer in soil so it's good for my use. You do need a better system. I've seen folks have one setup to a 55 gallon water drum with a float system. Then a small Sub pump in drum to quickly fill res

Not sure. But I'm guessing they do. I'm a hand waterer in soil so it's good for my use. You do need a better system. I've seen folks have one setup to a 55 gallon water drum with a float system. Then a small Sub pump in drum to quickly fill res

Yeah I had seen something similar with someone using a large trashcan modified with a float and pump as well. I may look into something like that, especially if I end up moving into an RDWC setup like I would like to at some point. I was looking at possibly the Hydro-Logic 300 Stealth, but I wasn't sure if maybe there was a better deal that someone here may know about, or if I'm looking in the wrong direction entirely.

There's a section just for hydro. The guys there might know. Good luck. Let me know if you start a journal. I'll sub up

I use RO Buddie from the Zon. Pay attention to the flow rate. Get one with 100 gal per day and your golden going to be a 3 filter system. Works great for municipal water won't break the bank but you will need to do your own plumbing hook up. I add a valve for a hose and do it like that. Can run the small output right into your RES. Will fill a 50 gal res in a few hours and PPMs will be 6-10 and be good for a few years before filter change needed. Can change the carbon filters sooner if you feel the need. Your ppm meter is your friend there. Test you pH it should be around 6.5pH.

We have a well and I have 10ppms with 9.0pH so I have to adjust my pH in the RES.

I'll throw in here as a dwc guy using tap water. Tap water varies from town to town of course. You can't go wrong with RO. I love a blank slate to make my nutes. BUT myself and countless others manage to grow in dwc with tap water without issue.
IMG_20200507_171831684.jpgIMG_20200125_125744277.jpgIMG_20200115_063102457.jpg

So hear me out. I read through your first journal. Sorry to hear about the dog fiasco :(.

My advice is to simplify things.
#1 start with tap water
#2 Use different nutes and don't add all the crazy shit. Mega Crop is a perfect example of an easy to use one step nute system that flat out works. You CAN grow great weed in DWC with nothing but tap water, mega crop and pH down. Please check the 420 site sponsors for other viable nute packages as well.

Nutrients - CX (Regen-A-Root; Wilt Guard; Hydro A; Hydro B)
Began using aquarium grade tap water conditioner, as well as pondzyme.

I am not familiar with any of those products.

#3 pH your rezzys to 5.8 after adding nutes then let it rise to 6.2 ish before pHing down again. Might take it a few hours or a few days for the pH to rise. Keep an eye on it.

#4 Keep using the rapid rooter cubes but bury them deeper in your netpot. I'm not a fan of your style of netpots. A 6 or 8 inch netpot is plenty big enough to grow a Christmas tree.

You were on the right track. Try again and I'm sure you will nail it. There is nothing better than a well oiled DWC setup.

:thumb:

I couldn't grow a fingernail in tap water from Philly and its actually unhealthy to drink. High PPMs are a sign. Filtration is better, you can eliminate one of the potential issues (bad water) and focus on all the product labels everyone likes to sell.

I grow in organic soil - its basically free and I don't need any chemical fertilizers and the weed tastes and most of all is healthy for me. Just my .02

I've had several ro systems. This is the best system I've purchased by far. If u get a booster pump it will crank out almost 200 gpd. The booster pump is around $120.

Aquatic Life 5-Stage 200 GPD Hydroponic Reverse Osmosis Filtration System Aquatic Life 5-Stage 200 GPD Hydroponic Reverse Osmosis Filtration System

1664770080923.png

The better reasonably priced RO systems are in the Aquarium industry. The through put of the systems is largely governed by the porosity of the membrane (and how many stages it has to go through). They are rated in microns. The finer the membrane the longer it takes and the more waste water is generated. A good qulilty system should yeild a ppm of 0 or damn close to it.

Most systems are designed to run off of standard public water line pressure. As mentioned above you can boost the pressure decrease the time within reason. Too much pressure and you can damage the system.

I run mine into a 30gallon container with a float switch. I mix new nutrients for res changes from it as well as use it for top off water when needed. Doing it that way doesn't make time constrains on the system so critical.

My only caution when using RO is that you should be careful about what nutrient line you are going to use because the base water has nothing. All minerals are removed. The nutrients become life sustaining not an augmentation to what is already there. PH can change very easily because all the buffers are removed.

@SamSmith what float valve are you using?? I need one. I stopped counting the times I overflowed my res. Good thing I have some drains in the room with my water system.

Like Dank mentioned if you're growing in soil and are having chalenges you cant figure out its likely the water. Growing in a container is where the water becomes critical. Tap water from even a well like I have the soil can become toxic very quickly from all sorts of stuff and its changeable minute to minute.

I use a Tunze controller which is way overkill and expensive. I had them for saltwater aquariums where if they spill over it's in your living room. They are around $200.

All you need is a mechanical one like this.

@SamSmith Nice thanks - my last grow and RO fiter setup was on our 3rd floor. I've had a few "over fills". lol..

Now we have floor drains and we are growing on the lower level so if I over fill its no biggy but its nice to have a shutoff that helps me immensely thanks again.

Man I lost track of this thread. Awesome to hear from everyone and their input.

@FatBeaverBuds - Appreciate the tips. Not a lot I could do with the dog dilemma but learn from what I had done already and apply it next time. My water from the tap is just under 500 on the EC meter, so its actually pretty bad. Thats kinda why I'm leaning toward an RO system lol. As for the nutes, I have the Advanced Nutrients Grow, Micro, and Bloom that I'm going to give a go this time around, just waiting on seeds from overseas at the moment. I think the biggest problem I had running into that last run was adding too many nutes too early, as well as bad lighting for the first week. So since I have the 600w LED finally in, with a watt meter at the wall, I know exactly where I need to be with that. I agree wholeheartedly with your comment on the lids as well, and got some 6 inch lids to go along with everything.

@ColonelBlake - Great looking system, but I can't find it in stock anywhere unfortunately. :(

@bobrown14 - The large storage was definitely a route I was looking into as well, so it's great to hear from someone who has the experience using it. Do you keep it aerated, or just out of the sun?

Back
Top Bottom