Bit of a dilemma

AdamAdm

Hello again everyone. I've got a slight problem that I'm sure some of you can help me with. I've germinated 10 seeds (straight to soil in small pots) in my tent alongside 4 ladies who are all at slightly different stages of finishing up. One is coming down this weekend, and the others should be coming down roughly every 4 days thereafter. My plan was to bring the seedlings up in 12/12 and then flip them to 18/6 when these girls are finished flowering for a 4 week veg, but I've misjudged their flowering times and I don't want to leave the babies in there too long incase they start flowering. Will the baby plants be OK if I remove them from the tent for a week or 2 and tend to them as house plants (windowsill), and then put them back in the tent on 18/6 when my current 4 are finished? I was trying to save myself some time but I'm not sure if I've been too hasty. Hopefully you guys can help me out!

I would move them to an 18/6 light schedule right away, most likely a window seal will not be enough light hours. You could use an inexpensive cfl bulb if you don’t have another grow light
Ditto.
Bill

What @013 said. Lately I've been keeping seedlings/clones on a shelf outside of my veg tent under some low wattage LEDs and they're doing great!
Even do my cloning there (rooting cuttings in an old seasoning jar)

20210421_232328.jpg

I grow my seedlings under 24/0 under a desk lamp with a 4k LED bulb until they are large enough to up-pot out of the cups. Then I do a proper VEG lamp at 18/6.

I dont put seedlings in my flower room the lighting is too intense.

I would move them to an 18/6 light schedule right away, most likely a window seal will not be enough light hours. You could use an inexpensive cfl bulb if you don’t have another grow light
Thanks mate! Say for talkings sake, the only possible option i have at the moment is to remove them from from the tent and place them by the window, and they'd be getting a reasonable amount of light from 6am until roughly 9pm. Would this be enough to simply "tide them over" until I can return them to the tent under 18/6? Would I maybe be better leaving them where they are until I can switch to 18/6 for a sort of re-veg? I just don't want them dieing on me before I have a chance to bring them up properly.

Plants have to be mature to flower and then re-veg.

IF they are seedlings they are not old enough for re-veg since they are not flowering yet.

Dont you have a desk lamp?? Can put them under that for a few weeks easy.

Plants have to be mature to flower and then re-veg.

IF they are seedlings they are not old enough for re-veg since they are not flowering yet.

Dont you have a desk lamp?? Can put them under that for a few weeks easy.
Does this not mean that I can just leave them growing where they are since they're growing away nicely? If they've not matured enough, surely flipping to 18/6 once I pull the 4 finished ones out will simply let them carry on vegging? I may be totally wrong but it sounds logical to me lol.

Not really. Your going to shock the plants changing light cycles in the reverse order.

In the normal course of growth plants start out with MORE light then eventually the summer goes by and the sun starts going down earlier every day....

Your idea is the opposite of that natural cycle.

You could get lucky .... or it wont matter. I'm just going by the normal way plants grow.

I'm thinking you're going to get into something you dont expect.

Not really. Your going to shock the plants changing light cycles in the reverse order.

In the normal course of growth plants start out with MORE light then eventually the summer goes by and the sun starts going down earlier every day....

Your idea is the opposite of that natural cycle.

You could get lucky .... or it wont matter. I'm just going by the normal way plants grow.

I'm thinking you're going to get into something you dont expect.
Thanks for getting back to me mate much appreciated. I've got all 10 seedlings coming along nicely just now on 12/12. I'm going to make today their last day in the tent and put them by the window because they've reached a decent size. I'll put them back in the tent on 18/6 when the ladies in there just now are finished up. The reason I'm doing this is because I don't have any other means to raise the seedlings and I can't afford the extra 4 weeks this time round. They'll be getting roughly 16 hours of daylight by the window so I'm hoping they'll be fine when put into 18/6. I could be totally wrong and this could go terribly. Time will tell I suppose.

They'll probably try and follow the light (phototropism), so you may want to turn the pots to keep the stems straight and strong. If they start stretching, you could put them in the tent when the lights are on, and put them in the window right before lights out. Even if you had to do it for a week or two, it may help.

They'll probably try and follow the light (phototropism), so you may want to turn the pots to keep the stems straight and strong. If they start stretching, you could put them in the tent when the lights are on, and put them in the window right before lights out. Even if you had to do it for a week or two, it may help.
That seems like a good idea man thanks very much. I think that's what I'll do it'll probably be the best thing for them, given my options at the moment. Cheers!

Thanks for getting back to me mate much appreciated. I've got all 10 seedlings coming along nicely just now on 12/12. I'm going to make today their last day in the tent and put them by the window because they've reached a decent size. I'll put them back in the tent on 18/6 when the ladies in there just now are finished up. The reason I'm doing this is because I don't have any other means to raise the seedlings and I can't afford the extra 4 weeks this time round. They'll be getting roughly 16 hours of daylight by the window so I'm hoping they'll be fine when put into 18/6. I could be totally wrong and this could go terribly. Time will tell I suppose.
Seedlings grow great under a table lamp. All you need is a 7w LED bulb. I use a spot version for my seedlings. You can leave the table lamp on 24/0 for several weeks.

We are only getting less that 14 hrs of daylight now.... its too soon to go daylight only.

They'll be getting roughly 16 hours of daylight by the window
My concern would be how much direct sunlight they get. Daylight is not the same as direct sun light. 2 weeks without direct light is not an optimal condition. How old are they? Seedlings? I think sitting in a window sill will cause them to really stretch and get “leggy”. I agree with @bobrown14 and other, put them under some some kind of an LED desk light. I’ve done that for several weeks with great success.

Back
Top Bottom