BJJ and cannabis

Jmaninthemiddle420

Does anyone else grapple high? I’m curious. Do you find it improved your grappling and striking for that instance. Or does it make it worse. Recently vice made a documentary about this where famous grapplers like Eddie bravo would ref and the winner won a Lb of OG kush. Don’t want to attach the link because I’m sure the forum will take it down. But if your interested just look up vice cannabis and BJJ. I am actually planning to open an MMA and self defense school and would love to do a local tournament. Maybe not for a lb of weed but for couple oz to a 1/4 lb maybe. Anyone else have thoughts on this.

I doubt your prize choice would be that welcomed by your community. Fighting for a pound of weed sounds like a interwebs marketing stunt to me. Like watching homeless drunks fight for booze. That prize doesn't really add to MMA's "legit factor" in my estimation.

I doubt your prize choice would be that welcomed by your community. Fighting for a pound of weed sounds like a interwebs marketing stunt to me. Like watching homeless drunks fight for booze. That prize doesn't really add to MMA's "legit factor" in my estimation.
I disagree marijuana is very acceptable in my local community despite legality in my state. I believe it will attract adults from my town to the next

I disagree marijuana is very acceptable in my local community despite legality in my state. I believe it will attract adults from my town to the next
Of course marijuana must be legal in my state of Ny first and hopefully it will be in April

So on top of giving drugs for prize money, it's not even legal? Hmm. Not a great optic to me, but eh to each their own.

Well, I'm not a grappler, I'm more of a pounder :rofl: and in my situation as a combat vet, it could be a deadly mistake to fight someone while your high and your reaction time was impeded. Smoked my first joint when I was 36, 2 years later, I retired...alive...
About the time I joined was when they were switching from cqc to mma and krav maga, and to be honest I don't use it at all anymore, other than to teach it to my 5 children, who's ages range from 23 to 34.

EDIT; In case you didn't know cqc stands for close quarters combat

Well, I'm not a grappler, I'm more of a pounder :rofl: and in my situation as a combat vet, it could be a deadly mistake to fight someone while your high and your reaction time was impeded. Smoked my first joint when I was 36, 2 years later, I retired...alive...
About the time I joined was when they were switching from cqc to mma and krav maga, and to be honest I don't use it at all anymore, other than to teach it to my 5 children, who's ages range from 23 to 34.

EDIT; In case you didn't know cqc stands for close quarters combat
Good to know I’ll keep that in mind when I start it. It’s already been done on a professional setting. I think a local tournament between individual students from different schools I know and trust would be ok and safe of course a professional ref would be needed

Good to know I’ll keep that in mind when I start it. It’s already been done on a professional setting. I think a local tournament between individual students from different schools I know and trust would be ok and safe of course a professional ref would be needed
And of course rules like no heel hooks or wrist locks even though I’m decent at them but I agree work more on striking and takedowns for self defense not to mention weapons defense and scenario training you should check out hard2hurt and nickdrossos on YouTube they both have great self defense vids. Plus I will be getting certified as a self defense instructor by nick drossos

Of course marijuana must be legal in my state of Ny first and hopefully it will be in April
So on top of giving drugs for prize money, it's not even legal? Hmm. Not a great optic to me, but eh to each their own.
NY is one of the states that is close to legalization this year or next. April 1st is when the new budget has to be submitted and the governor has supported legal weed taxes as a way to find the money he and his state needs. Even if it is in the budget on the 1st it will not be legal until the state legislature gets motivated to do something that puts "legal recreational weed" in the state's laws and regulations.

Using drugs, even Marijuana, as a prize does not sound like the best way to boost profits in a business. A building landlord/owner might not like it and can say "No, not in my building." The business insurance will have a blast figuring out the new premiums when weed is going to be given away to a fight winner, who is already stoned, no matter what the rules are and who the ref is.

Does anyone else grapple high? I’m curious. Do you find it improved your grappling and striking for that instance. Or does it make it worse. Recently vice made a documentary about this where famous grapplers like Eddie bravo would ref and the winner won a Lb of OG kush. Don’t want to attach the link because I’m sure the forum will take it down. But if your interested just look up vice cannabis and BJJ. I am actually planning to open an MMA and self defense school and would love to do a local tournament. Maybe not for a lb of weed but for couple oz to a 1/4 lb maybe. Anyone else have thoughts on this.
Is bs how they did nick Diaz.

NY is one of the states that is close to legalization this year or next. April 1st is when the new budget has to be submitted and the governor has supported legal weed taxes as a way to find the money he and his state needs. Even if it is in the budget on the 1st it will not be legal until the state legislature gets motivated to do something that puts "legal recreational weed" in the state's laws and regulations.

Using drugs, even Marijuana, as a prize does not sound like the best way to boost profits in a business. A building landlord/owner might not like it and can say "No, not in my building." The business insurance will have a blast figuring out the new premiums when weed is going to be given away to a fight winner, who is already stoned, no matter what the rules are and who the ref is.
Good to know but I will be building the gym on my own property

Oh, and yes. Honestly, I DID notice my reflexes and all other senses were top speed! I wouldn't admit that to any sports organizations though. Hell naw.

Good to know but I will be building the gym on my own property
That takes care of the landlord problem;).

No business insurance? It is not the guys who will be using your gym who are the problem. It is their families getting upset that their husband, father, son or brother got hurt while stoned and on your property. Somehow it just seems like a bad idea for a business until more people get used to the idea of legal recreational weed.

I have weight lifted high occasionally for many years, and also trained muay thai high occasionally. As long as my energy levels are right (I.e. properly rested and fed), it only helps. It helps me get into the music and focused on my workout.

Back
Top Bottom