Brown fungus on stems

Jungle Joseph

I've found some sort of a fungus on my plant. It's been quite humid lately so it's the perfect time for fungus, mold etc. The buds on the offending stem are still ok, so I'm thinking about cutting below the fungus and leaving the rest of the plant to finish flowering. My question is, if I cut the stem below the dead part, will the plant be okay to finish flowering? Or should I just harvest early? Or is there something else I can do? No chemicals.

IMG20211213134506.jpg

IMG20211213134502.jpg

IMG20211213134441.jpg

IMG20211213134435.jpg

IMG20211213134422.jpg

IMG20211213134303.jpg

IMG20211213134252.jpg

IMG20211213134156.jpg

I don’t think that’s fungus, or if it is, it’s secondary. On each one of those bad spots I’m pretty sure I see holes. I’m on a cell phone so I can’t get a great view. But they look like the holes left by corn borers. They’re the larvae of a moth. They burrow into the stem and cause all kinds of havoc. In one picture there’s a lump several inches from the bad spot, betcha there's a larvae in there. If a branch dies cut it open and I’ll bet the inside is eaten up. Honestly as far into flower you are I don’t think there’s much you can do to treat it. Hope it doesn’t kill any large branches. Before you plant there again sterilize or spray the soil, as one stage of the borer lives in the soil.

I decided to chop it off in case the spores spread. I cut the stem open and didn't see any bug inside, or traces of one having been there. Hopefully it hasn't spread to the rest of the plant. It's definitely brown, fluffy moldy stuff on it. I will burn it. The buds look fine.

IMG20211213160901.jpg

IMG20211213160726.jpg

IMG20211213160714.jpg

IMG20211213160659.jpg

IMG20211213160541.jpg

IMG20211213160532.jpg

Hey Joseph, just out of interest, was that suspected mold at an area of the branch that had been super cropped? I just wondered as it kind of looked like it. Great photo sequence.

A few years ago, I had a plant in flowering that was stressed and got attacked with what I diagnosed as Fusarium Wilt, a fungus, and one by one branches developed similar dead parts as your's. I would wait as longer possible before chopping the branch to let the buds develop as much as possible, but once I cut the dying branch then the next one would start to go. I felt the plant would sacrifice a branch when she couldn't hold out any longer.

Hey Joseph, just out of interest, was that suspected mold at an area of the branch that had been super cropped? I just wondered as it kind of looked like it. Great photo sequence.

A few years ago, I had a plant in flowering that was stressed and got attacked with what I diagnosed as Fusarium Wilt, a fungus, and one by one branches developed similar dead parts as your's. I would wait as longer possible before chopping the branch to let the buds develop as much as possible, but once I cut the dying branch then the next one would start to go. I felt the plant would sacrifice a branch when she couldn't hold out any longer.
Yes, it was at the area I supercropped, I was thinking about that. I topped there, and supercropped as well. It may have gotten infected from where the stem was injured. I am quite rough with them.
It's a good learning experience for me.
I really hope it doesn't progress like yours did.

That time it happened to me the plant hadn't been suprecropped, but I hadn't given it adequate nutrition which I think stressed it to the point where the fungus was able to attack it. But since then I have fairly extensively supercropped (mostly with pliers), and some of those injury sites can look a little crook. Anyway, the rest of your plant looks good.

That time it happened to me the plant hadn't been suprecropped, but I hadn't given it adequate nutrition which I think stressed it to the point where the fungus was able to attack it. But since then I have fairly extensively supercropped (mostly with pliers), and some of those injury sites can look a little crook. Anyway, the rest of your plant looks good.
Yeah I use pliers too.
I'm thinking it's probably a combination of injury, stress, humidity etc, and the spores just took advantage.
I've been feeding with bat guano every 2nd or 3rd watering. I've been letting her get dry, I lift the pot to judge.
The soil I use is supposedly able to provide the plant with all it needs from seed to harvest. I also top dressed with worm castings a couple weeks ago.
It was a beautiful circular wreath before, it's just a C shape now :eye-roll:

Back
Top Bottom