Bud density

kram rollen

Just finished my first grow and buds are in jars curing. While curing will the buds compact and become more dense?
I'm just wondering because after drying the buds seemed maybe a little airy.

Is this something that I can improve on during my next grow? Thanks for any advice.

Buds usually fatten up in the last 2-3 weeks. They add like 25% or something of their weight in the last few weeks.

With that being said, it can be the strain that gives airy buds, or it could be a grow issue. I just harvested a Blueberry I've grown before that had smaller buds and all up was about half the weight I usually get (only got 1 oz when usually get 2). The problem I think was a day or two of high heat that stressed them and they didn't seem to get much bigger after that. Still frosty though.

No IME they won’t become denser in the jar, but the texture does change over time to become more ‘spongey’.... hmmm how do you spell that word... :hmmmm: softer, less brittle, more stretchy- which makes the buds tougher and more durable.

The density is very much strain related. Lighting is a big factor, as well as general environmental stuff like how well the feeding thing goes, temps, etc.

Don’t discount fluffy buds. Most people have grown to think rock hard indica buds are best somehow. In my world the best bud is usually the scruffy looking fluffy sativa stuff that you never see made into glossy centerfolds.

No IME they won’t become denser in the jar, but the texture does change over time to become more ‘spongey’.... hmmm how do you spell that word... :hmmmm: softer, less brittle, more stretchy- which makes the buds tougher and more durable.

The density is very much strain related. Lighting is a big factor, as well as general environmental stuff like how well the feeding thing goes, temps, etc.

Don’t discount fluffy buds. Most people have grown to think rock hard indica buds are best somehow. In my world the best bud is usually the scruffy looking fluffy sativa stuff that you never see made into glossy centerfolds.
Thanks for your input, my plants are a sativa dominant, I'll just have to wait a couple weeks and see how they look.

Yes. If it’s super dense and hard I would question it being sativa dominant.

Having said that - the Chocolope I have has some of the densest bud I’ve grown and they like to call it ‘almost 100% sativa’. It certainly has a very sativa high.

And having said that, here’s a post from PotChimp’s journal. He grows and smokes a huge variety of strains and has some of the best bud in the forum. When he says in his post that the scraggly looking bud shown is about to take top place in his grow- that definitely means something to me.

001.JPG

The smell is about 50/50 pine and sandalwood :thumb: I've said the same thing about a DrG and AUH#1 pheno I've grown before; it's one of the few weeds I've grown that I notice is head buzz as opposed to body buzz. And a good one, too.
I'll burn on it some more before I give an unofficial smoke report, but after having toked the blunt I rolled of it down to an inch long I think it's gonna be the number one Danger Island smoke.

This - some of my best weed is on the fluffy side of nugs. lol

Seriously - Sativa are going to be fluffy. It's not a bad thing. Usually its a good thing.

Buds will smell like lemon shrooms.

Back
Top Bottom