Bunching: good or bad idea?

knowgood

420 Member
I’ve got my girl Claira outside and I took some of the thicker, taller shoots and bunched them together to allow more light to penetrate the lower bud sites. Is this a good or bad idea? In my head, as a first time grower is seems to make sense but maybe I’m missing something and I’m hurting the stronger shoots I bunched together.

I would think it is not the best idea. Now that you are getting a bit more light to the center of the plant you have crowded the top strongly growing shoots and are preventing some of the light from getting to the leaves you have bunched up. If you leave them tied up it is likely that you will see some blanching taking place within 4-6 days. Kind of like what happens if you were to leave something on your lawn for a week, the blades of grass start to turn yellow underneath.

You might want to consider spending a couple of hours researching and reading on the different training methods and pick one that you think will work for the size of growing space you have and the size of the pot you have the plant in.

Remember, if you do end up trying a training method keep in mind how much space you have to grow in. Some methods will create a plant that grows wide and out to the sides so you have to keep that in mind. Some methods seem to cause more growth up so keep that in mind if you do not want a very tall plant.

Enjoy the day.

If you leave them tied up it is likely that you will see some blanching taking place within 4-6 days. Kind of like what happens if you were to leave something on your lawn for a week, the blades of grass start to turn yellow underneath.

You might want to consider spending a couple of hours researching and reading on the different training methods

Thanks for the reply! I never thought of the blanching. I’ll reverse what I’ve got going on. Right now I’m executing LST outdoors in a 10 gallon fabric pot.

Yeah I think you’re helping out the lower growth at the expense of the upper growth. And since the upper growth is where all the best stuff is -probably not the best way to do it. Foliage that is bunched together like that will naturally start to suffer and decline, and will be phased out by the plant in favour of foliage that’s growing in more favourable conditions.

What your doing is called pony tailing mate. Great practice for the first couple weeks to get all the bottom shoots going on a seedling but other than that it's not really worth much. Especially not outdoors.

Thanks for that info. I’ve learnt so much here in the week I’ve been here.

Back
Top Bottom