can a 400 watt hps be good for the whole grow?

That's pretty funny. I was clearly high and looking through archives for any pointers came across this and didn't read the date. Well someone else may benefit from it...yup that is my reasoning:)

QUICK ANSWER IS YES, HPS Will work. I DON'T THINK IT'S GOOD FOR THE WHOLE GROW ROOM. If you have the HPS you're half way there so don't give up. I would use the BLUE fluorescents to start your future plants too. After they've had a good start you can move them under a MH for your Veg and later to an HPS for your flowering. If you don't have (or want to spend) the extra CASH on an MH system then your going to need FLUORESCENT TUBES to replace the Metal Halide (MH).
I would go with 8 of the 4'ers at 40 Watts each tube. DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH DELUXE IN THE NAME.
If you want your BLUE then look for "COOL WHITE" and "DAYLIGHT." If later you also want to add RED then look for "SOFT WHITE" and "WARM WHITE." Remember not to use Deluxe. Cool White emits 50% more light then the Cool White Deluxe.
Now when you get that 400 watt HPS set up you're going to have to think about cooling??? If you're in a 10' x 10' room it shouldn't be a prob. If you're in a closet you're going to have issues.

Wow, this is an old post. I'm high and, and, and,,,,, I was just trying to help.... I'll leave it and maybe it'll help someone..

QUICK ANSWER IS YES, HPS Will work. I DON'T THINK IT'S GOOD FOR THE WHOLE GROW ROOM. If you have the HPS you're half way there so don't give up. I would use the BLUE fluorescents to start your future plants too. After they've had a good start you can move them under a MH for your Veg and later to an HPS for your flowering. If you don't have (or want to spend) the extra CASH on an MH system then your going to need FLUORESCENT TUBES to replace the Metal Halide (MH).
I would go with 8 of the 4'ers at 40 Watts each tube. DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH DELUXE IN THE NAME.
If you want your BLUE then look for "COOL WHITE" and "DAYLIGHT." If later you also want to add RED then look for "SOFT WHITE" and "WARM WHITE." Remember not to use Deluxe. Cool White emits 50% more light then the Cool White Deluxe.
Now when you get that 400 watt HPS set up you're going to have to think about cooling??? If you're in a 10' x 10' room it shouldn't be a prob. If you're in a closet you're going to have issues.

You can use just the HPS from seedling to harvest. I've done it, tons of friends of mine do it and so do 1000's of growers all over the world. You don't "HAVE" to use a blue or cool white light just to veg with. Why spend the extra cash when the one HPS light will work? Save the money for some good nutrients instead.

With the new bulb technology and the addition of extra blue spectrum by companies like Hortilux with their "Eye," veging under MH is not terribly necessary. And for those of us who are running some 600W lights, that's a good thing as the MH conversion bulb for 600's isn't cheap. If this site were easier to get pictures up on, I'd show you a couple of my current grow which had a two week veg under hps before the flip to 12/12. As it is, it's too much trouble to do the picture posting here. But they're doing ok, lol.

peace

Let me go read up on how to do it because it's not available to me when I hit reply. Maybe I don't have enough posts yet. I'll study up on it and post when I figure it out.

Edited: Well I looked at the how to do it explanation to posting pictures and seriously, that's just too much to do to get one posted unless I'm reading it incorrectly. Never seen picture posting like that. I've got to upload it to my gallery, assign it a proper name, cut and paste some code, and select the picture and post it to my post... and everybody else's gallery comes up in the meantime... racefan, I'd love to post em - even went to take some new pics about a half hour ago. I just don't want to have to think that hard about how to show em, hehehe. We smoke pot and that's not conducive to mental calisthenics, lol.

Maybe when I'm good and rested up. Amazing how some of these two year old threads are still relevant...

peace

I use hortilux bulbs the whole way through, good for veg and flower

Mojo we have it setup like that so anyone can hop into the gallery and run a search and come up with "Hopefully" what they want. So all you have to do is upload photos that are under 420k, view the size of the photo you want after it's uploaded and copy that images URL. Then just use the insert image icon in the message box and paste the url in there. That's the one thats yellow with the sun and mountain.

This looks better then
DSCN3384.JPG

This:
DSC00978.JPG

FatJoe's gonna walk me through this pic posting thing. Just in case anybody's still interested... This post may change a little over the next little bit, lol

And excellent choice on puttin in the coco bar, hehe

peace

Edited: Here's a link to a thread I started about my current grow. I use HPS from the time I take them out of their seedling cups and put them into their final pots. I grow in coco and would encourage anybody to try it if they're not completely sold on their current medium. It's extremely easy to grow in and the results are premo, imho. hehe

Mojo's SD IBL and Pure Afghani grow in coco

i personally can attest to the fact that a 400 watt hps will work in the veg cycle, i did it last grow season, while it was hot...once i hooked up the exhaust fan in the closet heat was no longer an issue, the plants will grow under that light

Back
Top Bottom