Can I make a 300w LED into a 100w by disconnecting the drivers?

ultraduster

So I recently bought this MarsHydro 100x3w LED and was wondering if I could turn off 200watts from it and use just 100watts instead of buying a new led? Is it as easy as disconnecting one of the power supplies connected to the led panel?

s-l1600.jpg

Same discussion from you here: Can't Get Good Airflow In Grow Cabinet. Hitting 90F.

Same answer from me: You can probably disconnect some, but it still doesn't change the distance.
Buying a new LED may reduce your temperatures, but again, the distance isn't being addressed.

Germination: 24~30"
Vegetative:18~24"
Flowering :12~18"

Assuming that you disconnect some, and the temps go down, what are your plans in 1-2 weeks when the light gets too close and starts burning the leaves?

I am thinking the ballasts may draw a little phantom power if you disconnect the output , it would not waste much power if it does so my point may be moot..

Here's a idea for you , add some switches to each of the ballasts (4 of them the 5th is for the fans) then you can turn each one off and on at will. Attach the switches to the *power in* of each ballasts. You should only have to cut the wire and wire it directly to the switch if you mount the switches in a nearby spot.

If you buy the round type of switch you can drill the holes in the top of the panel next to each ballast (with the top removed) to mount them cleanly for a seamless installation.

Or just disconnect what you want and be done with it.. I myself would go the switch route but its not needed.

`````````````````````````````````
- I own some Mars 100x3w / 300w (true 180w) so on a side note -

They use two large approximately 5 x 8 inch heat sinks with a space in the middle.

I noticed my center vents were not blowing as much warm air as the side fan vents were so I did a little modding.

I attached two (eBay) 1 x 6 inch heat sinks side by side to the available space in the middle of LED board using heat sink adhesive glue and one 6 inch heat sink to each end of the board so the board is covered with heat sinks now.

Now the center vents are blowing equally warm air denoting the cooling improvement.

You can see below the available space for adding more heat sinks

Mars_100x3w.JPG

So I recently bought this MarsHydro 100x3w LED and was wondering if I could turn off 200watts from it and use just 100watts instead of buying a new led? Is it as easy as disconnecting one of the power supplies connected to the led panel?

Here are some better pictures of the inside from ebay.

For your case i want to say that add some switches to each of the ballasts and then you can turn each one off and on at will.
Also Attach the switches to the power in of each ballasts. You should only have to cut the wire and wire it directly to the switch if you mount the switches in a nearby spot.
Also you can just disconnect what you want and be done with it.

I still have to mount switches on my panels I have been disconnecting them by hand which grows old fast. Yet still effective and saves on electricity. I disconnect 2 ballast from each Panel for 50% output for the seedling stage. Currently I have 1 panel on half power and two panels on full power over my Plants. Once they start budding I will connect the ballasts back up for mo power.

The latest edition of the mars II panels come with veg & bloom switches like the reflector series uses.

Back
Top Bottom