Can Marijuana Save Kentucky From A Crippling Pension Crisis

Ron Strider

Kentucky Sen. Dan Seum, R-Fairdale, has said he plans to introduce a bill that would legalize recreational marijuana.

With that as a backdrop, members of the state's Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, state workers and members of the public debated the pros and cons of marijuana legalization during a hearing in Frankfort on Thursday.

"I don't think we can, in any way, try to make out people that are using it (marijuana), whether medical or any other way, as being criminal," one lawmaker said.

Kentucky State Police Commissioner Richard Sanders said, "I'm not willing to risk my grandchildren's health to save my pension. I don't think that's the right way to go with this thing. And I think we're guilty of sending a mixed message to our children. We remind them every day that they need to reduce their smoking habits. They need to stop drinking so much. And yet we're trying to encourage them to smoke more pot."

Pensions and pot are two topics rarely mentioned in the same sentence. But marijuana activist Joe Klare said now is a good time to start talking about both subjects.

"I think that the revenue-producing aspect of it is driving a lot of politicians to take a look at it," he said.

From his home in Covington, Klare has written for years about legalizing marijuana for recreational purposes.

"Right now, I write for the Marijuana Times," he said. "I've written for HighTimes.com, 420 Times."

He's encouraged that some Kentucky lawmakers are at least open to the idea of legalization to help support the state's ailing pension systems, which are more than $30 billion in debt.

"It's not something that's not going to clear away all the budget problems, obviously," Klare said. "It took a while to get here, and it's going to take us a while to get out. It's an industry, a market that already exists in the black market, and to just leave it there and not bring it into the legal market and take advantage of those tax revenues is not something that a lot of politicians are willing to do anymore."

While he is hopeful marijuana will one day be legal in his home state, Klare doubts it will happen anytime soon.

"I think it will be, but I think we're going to be one of the last states," he said.

Klare points to opposition from conservatives in many rural parts of Kentucky. But he believes demographics are changing and credits pro-marijuana activists for raising the profile of a subject that's long been considered taboo.

But Klare also knows one of the biggest roadblocks pot supporters face is Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, who has said as long as he's in office he will not allow recreational marijuana use in the state.

Smoking4_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Can marijuana save Kentucky from a crippling pension crisis?
Author: Todd Dykes
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Website: Cincinnati News, Weather and Sports - Ohio News - WLWT Channel 5

Back
Top Bottom