Canada: Mulcair Promises To Decriminalize Marijuana The 'Minute We Form Government'

Jacob Redmond

NDP leader Tom Mulcair said he will decriminalize marijuana the "minute we form government" during a stop in British Columbia on Thursday.

"I want to make sure that everybody understands, that the NDP's position is decriminalization the minute we form government, it's something we can do right away," he said.

The decriminalization or legalization of marijuana has been a recurring fringe issue during the first three weeks of the election campaign, with both Mulcair and Justin Trudeau saying they would change the current laws.

Trudeau supports legalization and regulation of the drug, telling a crowd of supporters in 2013 that "it's one of the only ways to keep it out of the hands of our kids."

Mulcair wouldn't say, however, whether he would grant amnesty to people already charged or convicted with possession, saying instead the NDP would "sit down and look at that."

Conservative leader Stephen Harper is the lone detractor on the issue of marijuana among the three federal leaders saying it should remain illegal.

A recent Ipsos poll suggested nearly two-thirds of Canadians over the age of 18 support decriminalizing marijuana "so that it no longer carries a penalty or fine." That support was shared to varying degrees among genders and age groups.

15685.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Mulcair promises to decriminalize marijuana the ?minute we form government? | Globalnews.ca
Author: James Armstrong
Photo Credit: Reuters/Mario Anzuoni
Website: Global News | Latest & Current News - Weather, Sports & Health News

Re: Canada: Mulcair Promises To Decriminalize Marijuana The 'Minute We Form Governmen

That news is great as I was already voting NDP anyway. They kicked butt here in Alberta in the last provincial election and even won my riding where I figured all these rich Catholic farmers would never walk away from the Cons. The MP that was here for 20 years retired last year and they may not have liked the new one. It was a woman too and that may have been a factor but the NDP winner was a woman as well.

Most likely they were getting tired of the Cons blowing all their hard earned tax dollars in scandal after scandal and finally tossed the crooks out.

Either way the NDP are in and making good on not only their campaign promises but on promises broken year after year by the Cons.

L8r

Back
Top Bottom