CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

Make sure you use way more trim than you would bud.

Why would you need to use way more trim than bud? Isn't an ounce of sugar leaves going to be plenty potent enough? I remember making butter with 1/8 oz of mids per stick of butter back in the day, and the brownies, cakes and other treats came out killer. The trim off of my last grow (10 years ago) was superior to that stuff and at double the amount I think it would destroy most people eating a good sized brownie...

Hash, I have a question about the cannabutter tutorial you posted. I have read other information regarding the amount of time to cook to butter and cannabis. I read one suggesting 30 minutes in a post. Is 3 hours the best amount of time? And as far as heat and moisture conservations goes, would you cover the cooking vessel? or add water throughout the process?

Thanks in advance for your time...

so i took 5 oz and 4 grams of vaped stuff and boiled it into a pound of butter using this method and then i made some no bake canna cookies and lemmme just say i do not really remember this week lol

...the smell

like cooking spinach :cheesygrinsmiley: ... really

You can eat the drained cannabis, it tastes like spinach too (with a slight "burn")

Hello, I am new as well, and have been reading through this post. I have been making Cookies, Brownies and Cakes for years using this very method. Usually, we just go with Sugar/Chocochip(which can be difficult)/Molasses cookies.

What I want to know is, Has anyone ever made a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookie? I cannot seem to ever make it work. Also, what are some other recipes some of you have tried? I haven't looked around very much on the website, so maybe there is a dedicated thread to recipes...But was just wondering.

Peace & Bon Appetit

I have used this recipe "Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!" twice making butter and I can tell you it works well. The first time I did not grind the product as well and I don't believe the butter was as strong as my second batch. The second batch with the finer product was much greener in appearance. I only use medical grade so far on making butter. Typically letting it cook on a low heat for 3 hours, sometimes do have to add more water. I also cook with a lid on that is clear so I can keep on eye on it. Typically 5-7 grams to 3-4 sticks of butter.

I enjoy making brownies with the butter using a recipe which requires beer and I use a local micro-brew beer. All I can say people who try my brownies are pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!

If you use a double boiler, you will have no need for adding water. Thus capturing more of the qualities of the bud.
As for the leftovers, dry and use as a garnish or seasoning like parsley. Nothing gets wasted ;?)

Since I posted I've tried using a crock pot but only one temp on the crock pot "on", but checking with a thermometer heats water too approximately 195-200. So this time I clarified the butter, and used only butter and the all important herb :) and soy lecithin. I'd stir the butter about every 1/2 hour, trying to make sure I was not burning it. However a little problem after about an 1 1/2 hours when I stirred this time the induction of oxygen caused a foam over, lost about 4 oz of butter before I realized all I had to do was to put the lid back on. I was allowing it to cook in the garage on a work bench. Did this just in case an odor and thought the temp might be a tad lower in a colder garage. I think in the future I will no longer stir and believe with this low temp will not burn the butter. I have used the butter for batch of brownies all who tried got good results and enjoyed the taste. I'm still not sure how long I should cook on the low temps a lot of information out there about cooking times. I try to read anything "Badkittysmiles" post's and try to incorporate her information and tweak for my use. I believe she "I just assume Badkittysmiles is a woman not sure why I think that but I do" prefers to use the oven with pyrex bowls for cooking and controlling the temps and times, but I'm just trying to use the old 1 quart crock pot I've owned for ever! I've been baking brownies with medical since the early 2000's but just recently decided to use butter and stout beer recipes with a nice chocolate ganache icing on them. I like making my brownies from scratch, also been experimenting of adding "1" either HI-FI or Bhang Medical Grade chocolate bar to the mix. The last time used 3/4 of bar in the brownie mix and the other 1/4 in the icing. Just a word of caution, one time I put 2 of Bhang bars into the mix, these brownies I'd refer to as "Lights Out" brownies because within an hour you were out like a light. I've decided with the MJ I use one bar is plenty!
Thank you so much for you're input, I love this site and there is just so much information out there.
Thank You Again:)

If your looking to make some special treats, Cannabutter is a vital ingredient. The process of making cannabutter is basically just melting butter with marijuana, Straining the marijuana And then re-solidifying the butter. This works because THC (the chemical in marijuana that gets you "high") sticks to the fat cells in butter. Cannabutter can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

In this thread I will attempt to teach those who don't know how to make Cannabutter, how to do so. The pictures may help a little but in the end it's the text that will help you most.

You will need,

1.) A large saucepan

2.) A stir spoon

3.) Sticks Of Butter (Its about 1lb. of butter to every ounce of weed so make sure you do the math).

4.20) Marijuana

5.) Cheesecloth, and some elastics

6.) A couple tupperware containers with lids

Step 1.

Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stovetop, it doesn't really matter how much water you use because in the end it will all be separated, Just make sure the marijuana is always floating about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2.

When the water is at a boil place the butter in the pan, again it's about 1lb. of butter, 4 sticks, to every ounce of marijuana, so if you're using a half ounce of bud thats about 2 sticks of butter. Be sure not to let the butter burn, if it appears to be burning then let melt on a medium setting.

Move the dial to low heat once butter has melted, it should look like this
DSCF0708.JPG

Step 3.

Now that the butter has melted you can now add the marijuana, Here I used about 5 grams of fresh nug and about 7 grams of vaped bud. Again make sure the stove is now on a low setting.

Stir occasionally, I tend to stir every time the mix starts bubbling.
I usually let the bud simmer for 3 hours, But you can always tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from a really watery consistency to glossy and thick.

Step 4.

While letting the mix simmer, You are now going to need to get the cheesecloth strainer ready, which will also be used to store the cannabutter.

Take two sheets of cheese cloth and fold each one over so they each have two layers, place these over a tupperware container (with the lid off), and secure them there with elastics.

It should look like this, I say to make two just incase one container runs out of room.
Cheese.JPG

Step 5.

When the water has turned glossy and thick on top it should look like this
DSCF0713.JPG

You are now ready to strain the marijuana out of the mix, place your tupperware containers with the cheesecloth lids in the sink and slowly pour the entire mix on top of the cheesecloth like pictured here,
Cheesepour.JPG

When the saucepan is empty carefully undo the elastic, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze all of the remaining butter out,
Squeezecheese.JPG

I throw away the marijuana after this, you can try and dry it out, let me know what happens.

Step 6.

Now place the lid on the tupperware and place it in the fridge to sit overnight, You need to do this so the water can seperare from the cannabutter, be patient.

Step 7.

Now that you have awakened in anticipation for your new treat, its time to separate the waste water!

It should look like this now, The cannabutter on top, the waste water on bottom.
DSCF0719.JPG

Take the lid off the tuperware and hold it upside down over the sink, place a dish in the sink to catch any cannabutter that may fall, squeeze two sides of the tupperware and the waste water will pour out, once all the water is gone your done! The cannabutter is ready to cook with.

donebutter.JPG

If you do not wish to cook with it now, you can just place it back in the tupperware, place the lid back on and store it in the fridge.

And be careful, the high from eating "special edibles" is often considered much more intense then inhaling, lasting anywhere from 2-8 hours. Do not attempt to eat too many at first. And I wouldn't recommend driving.
Just chill out, and enjoy!

So i'm new here ,hi all! this is a freakin long thread , its crazy !!
Very well done on the tutorial Hash.
So I'm buzzin as we speak ,made some butter and had to try it :thumb:
I have a question though, most of my water boiled off so there was only maybe a cup left when the oil solidified. After I drained the water there was a layer of a( little darker green) oil and water emulsification I'm guessing , way salter .
I flipped the cake of oil over and scraped it off , was like the texture of ice cream, should I discard that or is there any value of THC in there that I should just warm and whisk it back in???
I hope that makes sense,I had a couple of tablespoons already :laughtwo:
Any info would be appreciated!!

OK here goes, see if I can get an answer to (maybe) a difficult question. I am confident in my ability to pull this off successfully....with that said though, what I am looking for, Is There any CBD that is attaching itself as well as the THC to the butter? I will be taking medical grand Daddy purple and harlequin it a mix of 1/4 straight bud to 3/4 pounds of unsalted butter. I have a sleeping disorder and will be medicating at night before bed time...I need a suggestion for a good cookie mix that will produce 24 to 34 cookies. Thanks for the post Hash, very well done

This is the shit I think I'm quitting smoking and just eating thc for now on last batch turned out great used half o just had some on toast almost threw up but it did the trick. But now I have to make more cause my dog decided he needed to go on a sycidelick trip and eat the rest..

Giving this a whirl for the first time! I have never tried the edibles....making the butter with 2 sticks real butter and about 17 grams of no-name from my first grow... Hopefully I added enough cannabis. Not sure what I will make tomorrow with the butter but we shall she....:)

Thanks for your recipe! I tried it for the first time, and it came out great! Thanks for documenting the process and sharing the info!

I had foot surgery last may and this helps better than opioids.

Well I made the butter... didnt have cheesecloth, thought to myself...self, a coffee filter will work. Well it turns out that a coffee filter didnt work as its not porous enough. So I filter with the best thing i had at the time and the butter has some plant matter in it. Well today I said fuck it, lets give this a try and I cooked some eggs with some of the butter and had samiches!!! Well the heavily butter soaked eggs tasted OK, its been about 15 mins and as I write this I can feel the mix starting to work...

Will reply later with the outcome.

lol...yup...a little plant material aint gonna do you any harm...just taste like crap...
SERIOUSLY...spend the $3 at your local hardware store...you SHOULD get enough cheese cloth for 3 batches of butter. Also, i use surgical gloves, and cool my hands and "wring" the c/cloth out...from a full pound of butter (and 1.5 ounces of 'sugar leaf trim' NEVER INCLUDE FAN LEAVES UNLESS THEY ARE COVERED IN SUGAR TOO!) anyway...you should get about 3 sticks worth of budder...
and...15 minnits, huh? lol...like to see your stoned self in an hour after! ENJOY!

Well I made the butter... didnt have cheesecloth, thought to myself...self, a coffee filter will work. Well it turns out that a coffee filter didnt work as its not porous enough. So I filter with the best thing i had at the time and the butter has some plant matter in it. Well today I said fuck it, lets give this a try and I cooked some eggs with some of the butter and had samiches!!! Well the heavily butter soaked eggs tasted OK, its been about 15 mins and as I write this I can feel the mix starting to work...

Will reply later with the outcome.

Well it took a full two hrs to get the full effect and I must say....wow! Seemed to last for rest of the night.

Will be trying this again soon.

Well with the double boiler technique you still have to put water in the top pot, so yes.

I read another recipe that says to cook pot into melted butter ONLY when using double boiler.
No water.
I thought the purpose of the water is so the pot or butter doesn't burn on bottom. If using double boiler you won't have that problem so, please advise.

Back
Top Bottom