Can't decide if I need t use the whole room or my tent - Plant count and 2000 watts

iDatsyuk

Option 1:
In a 10.5 x 8.5 x 8.5 room on the main floor I will have...

4 x 7 x 7 tent

Two XXXL Magnum 8" cooled reflectors with 1000 watt HPS bulbs in each.

8" Vortex 747 CFM Powerfan connected to a really large heavy duty stand up carbon filter that is going to have its own separate plywood box(outside of the tent)(great idea given to me from a 420 member) to ventilate and help keep heat from being trapped in the room. The plywood box will have duct exhausting it into a storage room(we never go enter)in my basement. Possibly outside.

I will be taking cool air from a different room in the basement, into the tent.

Overall, halfway decent set-up right?

How many plants should I run with a rig like the one described above? Not too worried about how many plants, just what you think(your opinion) would be the best number for the sake of yield. I don't plan on using Co2.

Option 2:

Can I just eliminate the tent and use the main 10.5 x 8.5 x 8.5 floor room? Using the basement as ventilation, cooling and what ever else. I have two registers on the floor in the main room and the registers lead to separate rooms in the basement. Would 2000k be enough, considering I have the XXXL Magnum reflectors? Throw mylar on the walls. Also, the CFM is something consider. I know I won't get the maximum 747, and if my calculations are correct I would need at least 800cfm. I think with there not needing to be much duct because everything is pretty "convenient", the fan could be powerful, but not powerful enough(considering duct size is only 8"), huh? Say I learn that I need another fan or that I am good with what I have, Would I have better yields with what number of plants?

I want to apologize now, because I know things are very specific when it comes to what you expect your yield to be and people think they can actually get an "answer". There are way too many factors to give a solid answer. Ill just say, I know I can do something decent here even though I am new. I don't have super high expectations, but I do want to be happy about it. I have a few friends that grow successfully and I love learning from the 420Magazine community. Just give me your input, opinion or what ever you want to call it. I appreciate any advice. Link me to other threads if you know of some that would help me with this. Anything.

Opinions?

If I need to be more specific about something, let me know. Sorry if I wasn't detailed enough, or even over detailed. I appreciate someone even reading all of what I wrote haha. Really, I can't appreciate the help anymore than I already do.

Thanks!

:thanks: :thumb:

Re: Can't decide if I need t use the whole room or my tent. Plant count and 2000 watt

For sure I would use the whole room, you can fit many more plants, and you already have venting. You simply need a fan(s) that are strong enough to bring fresh air into the room on a regular basis. You can run two 1000w lights. A tent inside a room sometimes has more venting problems than just using the whole room itself IMO. Using the whole room is simpler and easier to dial in. Happy Growing!

Re: Can't decide if I need t use the whole room or my tent. Plant count and 2000 watt

If you flower in the room you would be able to use the tent for veg, that will let you start the next batch while the others are still flowering and get a quicker turnaround.

I don't get your basement venting that well, you want to exhaust into the basement and draw the fresh air from basement also. Is the basement itself vented? Do you heat your home and want to recycle the heat? Can you vent some of the air outside? If so, can you handle the humidity?

Example, I recycle heat and have four 1k lights, there is a 6" fan on a speed control that takes cool air from the basement and pushes through the four cool tubes and throws the air upstairs, since it's positive pressure there is no odor. There is a second 6" fan/speed control at very low speed, attached to a carbon filter for the room itself, keeping neg pressure to control odor, and exhausts inside the house, or outside, depending on humidity. In the summer I just need to rearrange the ducts and turn up the fans and vent everything vents outside. My point is there are different options available depending on your particular situation and should take the time to look at some of them.

I don't know how you get to 800CFM to vent two 1k lights, in practice your 8" fan if hooked up properly is already overkill with passive intake, no matter what size the room. The problem from what I gather is what are you doing with the heat and humidity, if they are in a closed loop

Tent veg/flower room= perpetual garden= plethora of nugs

Tent in another area if possible and use the bigger whole room for flower.

If I have down time at work today, I will let you know more about what you're asking. If not, Ill be home later today around 9:30 eastern.

I'd veg in the room, and flower in the tent .. less hassle setting things up, and you can walk into the veg room regardless of it being night or day for the girls, and switch on a light, without issues. So unless you will not be wanting to enter your veg room in the flower room's night, this will create some headaches.

Also, a tent is lightproof .. a room not so much .. and unless you want to show off to your neighbours that you have dodgy things going on, you do not want to put foil of any kind on your windows. Also, you will have more odor from flowering girls .. and opening and closing the door will flood your house with the smell, unless you work at insane underpressure levels.

Assuming it is less legal where you live. If not, then lightproof the room, and veg in the tent, and make sure your day and night cycle is such that you will be able to access the vegging girls at times that suit you.

I tried being crafty with paint to help you understand my room. I have two ways into the basement. Two floor registers that were once connected to the furnace. I went down in my basement and disconnected them completely from the furnace. They are now just holes that lead into the basement. Nice cool air. I have a hole on my ceiling that looks like it used to be a smoke detector. I could possibly use that to enter the attic for exhaust. I also have a ceiling light in there that can be removed and probably lead me into the attic. Which again, another possible exhaust option? The carbon filter in the attic idea seems amazing to me, but I could be wrong. I don't see the rooms getting THAT hot considering the room is 8.5 feet tall. Wouldnt most of the heat at the top of the room not really cause much issue? The 8" fan being 747 cfm will be good like you say. The window is there too, but really, there is another window RIGHT below the register in the basement closest to the wall with the window in the room. I feel like I have way too much information, but that just seems like more options. With my items, the room layout and possible air ventilation options, what would you say is best?

Again, the help is ridiculous. So cool of everyone!

Ceilingdown.png

Floorup.png

I'd veg in the room, and flower in the tent .. less hassle setting things up, and you can walk into the veg room regardless of it being night or day for the girls, and switch on a light, without issues. So unless you will not be wanting to enter your veg room in the flower room's night, this will create some headaches.

Also, a tent is lightproof .. a room not so much .. and unless you want to show off to your neighbours that you have dodgy things going on, you do not want to put foil of any kind on your windows. Also, you will have more odor from flowering girls .. and opening and closing the door will flood your house with the smell, unless you work at insane underpressure levels.

Assuming it is less legal where you live. If not, then lightproof the room, and veg in the tent, and make sure your day and night cycle is such that you will be able to access the vegging girls at times that suit you.

Michigan! I can have 24 plants total at the moment. Soon, I will be able to have 36. Eventually 72!

Thanks for the advice.

Tent veg/flower room= perpetual garden= plethora of nugs

Tent in another area if possible and use the bigger whole room for flower.

Right on. That is exactly what I was thinking. The tent will still be extremely useful. I have another room in my basement that I could use in the future. It is 8.5 x 25. Think it might be about 6 feet tall. Not sure if the lights will be able to go up high enough down there. Sure there are options.

Take a look at my threads. They may help. Especially the garden layout. There's videos.

Tape your jaw to your skull becore you go look ....

Hahaha. Thank you for the warning. I looked before you said something though!

I also thought that if I needed extra light, maybe I could add on CFLs to the sides of the room or something creative like that.

CFL's work great for side lighting, might want to get T5's tho.

Tell me if this would work. I buy 2 12 outlet 4ft power strips and plug in 5 100 watt CFLs nice and spread out on each side of the room. Pretty much drill the power strip into the wall, about 2 1/2 feet off of the ground so that the side of the plants can get some love. Would that work?

I'd focus on my first grow before adding side lighting. I used to run t5's in bloom on the wall but yanked them for more veg lighting.
Get one grow with a standard setup then expand. It will be very beneficial and will let you see areas for improvement

I'd focus on my first grow before adding side lighting. I used to run t5's in bloom on the wall but yanked them for more veg lighting.
Get one grow with a standard setup then expand. It will be very beneficial and will let you see areas for improvement

Thanks for the advice. I will take that route. The room is actually finished. I just can't decide if I should put mylar on the walls, or go for a flat white

Flat white. Cheaper, better reflection, easier to clean, wont have reflectivity issues due to water droplets.

If you do want to go mylar, consider panda instead. More durable.

Back
Top Bottom