Carbon filter effectiveness

freedom8976

Hello guys,
here is my question for you, can a properly installed carbon filter eliminate the smell of two plants that stink?
My grows are semi stealth and noise from the extractor alongside with smell is what i must be cautious about.
I use a 4x2 with an oversized filter for the space just to be sure, but i have only grown low odor plants this far. My last grow was nothing but odor free, the filter managed to take care of all the smell though. It was a white widow auto from nirvana that stank the room up for two weeks or so after the buds started to form. Once the tent was closed though you could never notice!
So to conclude, can a decent, properly installed filter manage 2 very aromatic plants in a 2x4?
thx:ganjamon:

5 inch one a good one should do a good job in that size tent.
For a few years to extend its life only use in flower.
Might want to look at the @Mars Hydro fans if noise is a problem.
Soon as you stop smelling the carbon coming out the outlet.
Its time to change or recharge it.
Hope that helps

Hello, I have a grow shed (out building) in my backyard and I have a 8" exhaust exiting the roof with a passive air intake into the shed. Inside I have a 8" x 24" AC Infinity carbon filter connected to a 8" AC Infinity fan and silencer. You can't smell anything outside while I'm in flower. I have neighbors house right up against my shed so I need to be stealth as possible. Last year my filter failed as I was starting to get a small odor. I replaced the filter and that solved the issue (old filter was three years old). The silencer does help the fan noise, but you can still hear it. I probably don't need a 8" fan and filter but it works great.

:hookah:

thx for the replies guys!
i will have to mention that my tent is situated in a 20sq.mt detached house outside of the main house and i am venting the air from the tent, in the bathroom and just leave the window open.
I have times when i can open the tent without anybody bothering me and some smell wouldn't cause me any trouble as it dissipates in the air before it reaches the neighbors.
What i am trying to achieve is being as low key as possible, noise-wise and smell-wise.
I chop and trim my plants one branch at a time to avoid the smell from penetrating everything and it works really well.
It is annoying opening and closing the tent so many times in order to harvest the plants but it is way safer this way.

Atm i am using a Ram inline fan that is extremely noisy, i have heard comments from other people living in the house that my room sounds like it's going to take off :ganjamon:
and a prima klima filter that worked well for my last grow, but didnt work for my previous one as there was no negative pressure in the tent since i was using a cheapo extractor fan that eventually broke down.

Another question for you guys!
How louder would the smell be if i was growing two super skunk plants instead of northern lights and other low odor plants?

I have a 4 inch Kootenay filter in a 36x20x63" tent and it works great with the fan running on low. As long as you aren't blasting the air through the fan too fast then a good quality filter will eliminate 100 percent of the smell.

Not sure about the person who said to recharge or change once the scent of carbon was gone. My filter stunk up my house with the carbon smell for the first few weeks of use but ever since then its been emmitting no smell at all and I've had it running almost 24/7 for about a year and a half.

I have a 4 inch Kootenay filter in a 36x20x63" tent and it works great with the fan running on low. As long as you aren't blasting the air through the fan too fast then a good quality filter will eliminate 100 percent of the smell.

Not sure about the person who said to recharge or change once the scent of carbon was gone. My filter stunk up my house with the carbon smell for the first few weeks of use but ever since then its been emmitting no smell at all and I've had it running almost 24/7 for about a year and a half.
Your noise blind to it then.
Thats just how it is my friend.

Your noise blind to it then.
Thats just how it is my friend.
Definitely not nose blind. Especially since I stopped using it for a couple months and then hooked everything back up.
There is no way my nose would still be blind to the scent after not being around it for months.

Maybe just accept that there are good filters out there that do not release the smell of carbon and still do a 100 percent effective job of filtering out the smell.

I have 2 tents. One has a rhino pro short filter. It's about a year old. Still working great but on its last crop now before I bin. I run for 3 crops or a year before I bin. I always wash the sleeve after each run. The fan is a 6 inch cam fan old style. Loudish but a old workhorse.

My other tent is using a full sized 6 inch "original cam filter" it's bigger than the rhino so should last a little longer. It's overkill for a 4 foot tent which it's in. Fan is a 6 inch digital AC infinity. The fan is quieter on the lower settings than the cam fan which can't be adjusted. However on full it's louder than the cam fan is but moves more air so is expected.

Both totally eliminate smells from both tents in flower at the moment. I have stinky strains in both tents and can't smell anything. Stealth is very important for me. The noise is an issue with my window being open sometimes. If it's literally silent i.e. no birds no cars no noise at all, you can hear my fans outside my property with the window open. But it's a light noise and just sounds like a washer/dryer etc in the property.

If you want silence I suggest a 6 inch out and 4 intake. Both adjustable digital fans. This means you can run them on lower settings as they don't need to be on full. Aim for a good quality filter. Rhino are decent in my opinion.

Hope this helps :)

As i said i been growing a few years now.
And used a few well more than a few.
And i have always been able to smell a small amount of carbon.
Always when i smell the end of the outtake.
Also agree its much stronger when new.
Does than mean its not there anymore becuase its not a strong as it was ?
Until of cause it needs to be replaced.
Guess you know better than me sorry mate.

Definitely not nose blind. Especially since I stopped using it for a couple months and then hooked everything back up.
There is no way my nose would still be blind to the scent after not being around it for months.

Maybe just accept that there are good filters out there that do not release the smell of carbon and still do a 100 percent effective job of filtering out the smell.
just saying

#1- Smell the Active Carbon​

Remember the sweet carbon smell when the filter was new? Well, that smell is an indicator of how much alive the activated carbon is. After every 3-4 months(or whenever you feel like), seek for that smell in the carbon filter. The moment you won’t sense it anymore is the moment when the activated charcoals need to be replaced.

Remember the sweet carbon smell when the filter was new? Well, that smell is an indicator of how much alive the activated carbon is. After every 3-4 months(or whenever you feel like), seek for that smell in the carbon filter. The moment you won’t sense it anymore is the moment when the activated charcoals need to be replaced.
I thought testing what is vented out should not have the cannabis smell.
Isn't that all that matters?
Have a fresh nose after being out and about and walk over the exhaust vent.

But then, some of us may have 'Covid nose' and our 'smeller' is not back to 100%. I know mine isn't....:confused:

I thought testing what is vented out should not have the cannabis smell.
Isn't that all that matters?
Have a fresh nose after being out and about and walk over the exhaust vent.

But then, some of us may have 'Covid nose' and our 'smeller' is not back to 100%. I know mine isn't....:confused:
Listen i am not saying/commenting about smell of bud
Or even when to change the flitter
All i said was when you cant smell carbon no more its very close.
To needing to be changed.
Some people might just notice.
Some long time growers who are noise blind to there bud smell.
Might over look the escaping smells now the flitter is old.
The best way to tell in that case is smell for carbon on the flitter.
And its outtake i hope that cleared that up for you.

Back
Top Bottom