Carbon filter

Legalize09

can anyone post a pic in here of a carbon filter? Perhaps even paint shop an arrow on the pic pointing directly to it? Also how much are they? and can you get them at a home depot?...no hydro stores or anything round here

ANYONE!?!? help!

A carbon filter is simply something that holds carbon granules so that air must pass through them and a fan to move said air.

I would think that you could redneck one with a short section of 6" or 8" pipe filled with carbon and a coarse screen on each end to hold the carbon in the pipe. The main thing would be to not just half fill whatever you used because then the air could just pass over the carbon.

As for a good fan to use, you'd want one strong enough to handle the increased resistance caused by the <whatever> being full of carbon. I've always been partial to the squirrel-cage type, specifically Daytons. They "take a licking and keep on ticking" as Timex used to be fond of saying. In fact you can sometimes visit your local scrapyard and rescue one out of a non-working industrial-type overhead gas furnace, clean and lubricate it, and use it for years.

There was at least one good thread that had home-built ones in them but I don't seem to have bookmarked them.

How do you tie a CAN Filter in with a 'Closed Loop Vented' Reflector system?
What I would love to be able to do is to use a single fan that can odorize and suck hot air from the lights out...creating a vacuum to bring in fresh air. Is this possible to have all these wishes with one fan?

Motorized Duct with Y connector?

L8R,
Grooven420

outside of room -> fan - light -> outisde of room and wherever you want to blow it because it has ZERO odor.

Plus

fan -> filter -> outside of room (if/when required)

Plus

cheap oscillating fan just moving the air around the box and blowing the plants around so they are happy campers

?

I never cared if my GR smelled as long as it didn't get too hot for the plants. If it did get too hot, then I would vent it as needed.

I was going to..."redneck" one myself I have allot of aquarium supplies around and a bucket of carbon granules but they are a bit bigger then whats used for air filtration would they still work you think the granules are about 1/8th" they have marble chips as well for ph in the water but Im not concerned about that.

Are there any plans on here BTW I search and came up with allot of references but no actual plans I would rather go with a working design than go through stages of R&D and have my tenant wondering what that smell is in his apartment lol.

Ironically I just threw away three squirrel cage fans one from air hockey table 2 from bathroom vents =/ ...now Im eyeballing my stove vent covetously

I was going to..."redneck" one myself I have allot of aquarium supplies around and a bucket of carbon granules but they are a bit bigger then whats used for air filtration

Pillowcase and a hammer lol?

lol! what size granule is optimal?

Dose anyone have and exploded veiw of a name brand can unit and is the filter media permeated with carbon like say one of those cat box filters or is it suspended in between the media?

Sorry to hijack this lol

I would assume the smaller the better so there is more surface area for the air to flow around.

The carbon would be held between something so that the air is forced to go "through" it.

Three pictures of POTential's homemade carbon scrubber and his thread that discusses them:
Homemade Carbon Filter
000_1907.JPG

000_1908.JPG

000_1909.JPG

How To Build an Inexpensive Carbon Air Scrubber? - Part of the OverGrow FAQs, a listing of which can be found here:

Carbon scrubber (theory)

When does "smell" become noticable? - From our Frequently Asked Questions forum. Includes a short Youtube video.

Back
Top Bottom