CascadianDank's 2014 Outdoor Super Soil Grow

CascadianDank

HELLO:420:

Im anxious to get started this year on my 2nd Outdoor season but unfortunately its still a bit early for the plants to go outside. Last summer I ran 7 Gal. SmartPots and averaged around 5 OZs per plant in FoxFarm soils mixed with Coco and Perlite and fed with Organic Bottled Nutes. We were pleased with the results but it was average at best in my opinion. I think some could have went farther but we were losing buds to rot because of a week+ of rainy days in the last few weeks and then there was the freakin Mites and Thrips which were there for a majority of the flowering months.

This year Im goin as big as my space allows. Starting with 4 times the soil. Im goin with 30 Gal SmartPots 1/3 to 1/2 filled with Super Soil and topped off with Roots. Due to the much larger plants Ill only be growing 4 this size and probably a couple more in 7s is space allows.
This years lineup will be, 1- TGAs KABOOM, 2-Cali Connections TAHOE OG KUSH, and a 2in1 PURPLE KUSH from my seed stock Ive been carrying around for 4 years. I had double planted a bunch of PK seeds in cups because after a week in water none had sprouted. I ended up with 7 plants in 6 cups and decided, after sexing, to put the double header outside and see what they can do. The other 4 are in my flower tent now, 2 weeks into flower, along with 3 more Tahoes, a Kaboom, and a Grn Crk.

Since were 4 to 6 weeks from goin outside Ill post updates of the flower tent in here also and after this round of buds is done Im done with indoor for a while til I can build my sealed room.

Heres a couple pics taken this morning to get started with and tomorrow I will get some flower tent pics up because the ones I took this morning didnt turn out and the lights are off now.
DSCF04785.JPG
DSCF04775.JPG

The back right is the KABOOM with the PK TWINS in front of her. Everything on the left is TOG. I wasnt expecting the smaller front plant to survive because my dog yanked it out of the pot less than 5 mins after transplanting while I carried other plants into the tent. 2 of the clones were not supposed to make it either but it looks like theyre gonna.

I forgot to mention that right now everything is in recycled Super Soil from my indoor Blue Dreams which are at the end of my Redemption Journal linked below and some indoor GSCs which were not journaled but Ill post some pics of them soon too.
Ive been reusing the soil unamended in cups for seeds and clones and also as base soil, with added EWC, and fresh Super Soil for the currently flowering plants. I always add Dolomite Lime to my pots at transplant along with mycorrhizae and these were no exception but the Tahoes have been getting rust spots so I added some Cal-Mag+ to the dechlorinated water last night and watered all the plants with it.

OK so since I stopped posting in my last journal I have been fighting mites and the battle continues which is why after this round of indoor plants Im closing shop til I can build a sealed room. Ive tried everything and because all the good products cost so much I havent been able to really keep up on it like I should. I knock em down but not out and they come back every time. I have even chopped and burned infested plants while treating others and still they rise

Here are some pics of the GSC plants I mentioned in the first post. They were rooted clones transplanted from solo cups into 2 Gal SmartPots with bottom half Super Soil and top half Roots. NO veg time straight into flower. I started with 7 and planned to do a side by side with 2 under my 400w HPS and 2 under my 300w LED with 3 in the middle to block some of the over casting. Half way through I had a bit of a freak out over mites and ripped 2 of them out along with 4 of my big veggers that were supposed to be this years outdoor. The 5 remaining plants were harvested at week 7 and I ended up with 3 OZs of really good tasting and smelling bud that gets me ripped so Im happy even though I know it could have been better.
DSCF00806.JPG
DSCF00817.JPG
DSCF00847.JPG
DSCF00863.JPG
DSCF00874.JPG
DSCF00895.JPG
DSCF00948.JPG
DSCF02418.JPG
DSCF02423.JPG
DSCF02464.JPG
DSCF02564.JPG
DSCF02605.JPG
DSCF02614.JPG
DSCF02624.JPG
DSCF02644.JPG
DSCF02654.JPG
DSCF02664.JPG
DSCF02696.JPG
DSCF02728.JPG

So the side by side didnt really get finished because the 2 I pulled were the 2 under the HPS. I can say that the HPS buds were larger and more dense but the LED ones were more frosty when I yanked the 2 HPS ones due to mites. Im thinkin Ill probably use the LED on a sun circle in the future as supplemental lighting but who knows at this point since Im always changing plans as I go.

Today I read that Tahoe OG loves Cal. and Mag. which explains why they have signs of deficiency when the others dont.
DSCF04923.JPG
DSCF04934.JPG
DSCF04873.JPG

Heres some flower tent pics. Today marks 2 weeks since the flip.
Group Shots
DSCF04796.JPG
DSCF04804.JPG

GC
DSCF04824.JPG

KABOOM
DSCF04852.JPG

TOG-- This is the taller plant. 1 of 3 TOGs but the other 2 are a week behind the rest because after a week they all showed sex and I swapped 2 TOGs with the PK and KABOOM that are goin outside.
DSCF04914.JPG

I'm in for that one :yummy:

OK so the Super Soil recipe is:
8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs Bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
¾ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid

I didnt get the 3 lbs of Rock Phosphate because they didnt have the high calcium one that I wanted so once I get that Ill just add it to the pots as I transplant along with more Dolomite Lime which Ive been doing since my Indoor Blue Dreams had a Mag Def in early flower.

I used 37.5 pounds of Worm Castings which is the middle of the suggested amount. The box of Fish Bone Meal was 6 pounds so I just added the extra pound. I also went with 12-12-2 Sea Bird Guano rather than the 0-5-0 Bat Guano.
DSCF05096.JPG
DSCF05126.JPG
DSCF05145.JPG

I first dumped 2 Bags of Roots, 1- 12.5 pound bag of Worm Castings and half the boxed ingredients. Then I dumped 2 More bags of Roots and another bag of Worm Castings. 2 more bags of Roots last bag of Worm Castings and 2nd half of boxed ingredients followed by last 2 bags of Roots. Mixed with a shovel and rake for 20 mins turning and mixing well. Then I watered with 3 gallons of de-chlorinated tap water out of a watering can that spreads the water around rather than just pouring it straight in.

DSCF05048.JPG
DSCF05055.JPG
DSCF05065.JPG
DSCF05076.JPG
DSCF05086.JPG
DSCF05157.JPG
DSCF05166.JPG

Now its covered with a tarp and gonna sit for 4 to 6 weeks til Im ready to transplant into the 30 Gal SmartPots

Looks very good :thumb:
Do you use compost?

Very nice super soil mix Cascadian :Namaste:
Mine looks identical (different brands). I think the only other additives I have are some soft rock phosphate and alfalfa meal which isn't too big of a deal. I have had the best results to date with supersoil but have also been seeing a little cal or mag issues mid flowering~
Some reps your way Cascadian :thumb:

Looks very good :thumb:
Do you use compost?

Thanks and no I havent used compost yet but I have been composting for the last year so its in my future.

Very nice super soil mix Cascadian :Namaste:
Mine looks identical (different brands). I think the only other additives I have are some soft rock phosphate and alfalfa meal which isn't too big of a deal. I have had the best results to date with supersoil but have also been seeing a little cal or mag issues mid flowering~
Some reps your way Cascadian :thumb:

Thanks, I cant seem to find the high calcium SRP locally but I do plan to use it once I get some. I bought some Alfalfa Meal and some Age Old Fish and Seaweed which I plan to use once a month in a microbe tea. I followed Subcools recipe cuz it worked great for me on my indoor plants so I want to try it outdoor this year.

My indoor Blue Dreams showed a Mag Def about 2 to 3 weeks into flower so Ive been adding 1 shot glass full of Dolomite Lime per 2 Gallons of soil when I transplant and have been good to go since, other than my TOGs who seem to want more Calcium but I watered them last night with 20 ml Cal-Mag+ in a gallon and a half of water.

Thanks and no I havent used compost yet but I have been composting for the last year so its in my future.

Thanks, I cant seem to find the high calcium SRP locally but I do plan to use it once I get some. I bought some Alfalfa Meal and some Age Old Fish and Seaweed which I plan to use once a month in a microbe tea. I followed Subcools recipe cuz it worked great for me on my indoor plants so I want to try it outdoor this year.

My indoor Blue Dreams showed a Mag Def about 2 to 3 weeks into flower so Ive been adding 1 shot glass full of Dolomite Lime per 2 Gallons of soil when I transplant and have been good to go since, other than my TOGs who seem to want more Calcium but I watered them last night with 20 ml Cal-Mag+ in a gallon and a half of water.

What kind of dolo do you use? You can mix in coarse dolo with waterings in small amounts of dolo (Tsp per gallon) till it corrects and it works real fast too. You lose some dolo in your water can if it does not all dilute but it never created issues for me before. Just keep eye out on yer ph :) Do not try this if you feel "iffy" at all about that method , best way is our own after all. Yer babies look awesome btw <3

What kind of dolo do you use? You can mix in coarse dolo with waterings in small amounts of dolo (Tsp per gallon) till it corrects and it works real fast too. You lose some dolo in your water can if it does not all dilute but it never created issues for me before. Just keep eye out on yer ph :) Do not try this if you feel "iffy" at all about that method , best way is our own after all. Yer babies look awesome btw <3

Thanks Wild Rosebud. Dolomite 10 AG is what the bag says. It looks like sea salt to me. Are you referring to the Calcium issue with the TOGs? If so I have the Cal-Mag+ for that right now but Id be willing to try this once Im out of the Cal-Mag+. Adding the shot glass worth of Dolo Lime to the soil has corrected any Mag Defs. I dont and havent checked or adjusted any PH since my first journal where I had nothing but problems.

Thanks Wild Rosebud. Dolomite 10 AG is what the bag says. It looks like sea salt to me. Are you referring to the Calcium issue with the TOGs? If so I have the Cal-Mag+ for that right now but Id be willing to try this once Im out of the Cal-Mag+. Adding the shot glass worth of Dolo Lime to the soil has corrected any Mag Defs. I dont and havent checked or adjusted any PH since my first journal where I had nothing but problems.

lol My last 3 grows I never dropped a ph tester in the dirt either hahaha wingin it to see if my old eyes are still workin seems to work good for me. I use Green Earth Dolo it looks like kitty litter. Cal/Mag is considered superior to dolo but when I used it at my DG's for a few feedings I still added Epsom salts could still see mag def issues were not correcting fast enough , plants were not uptaking it so I went raw lol.... Sorry for bein random eh lol

If you don't have calcium, use egg shells (93% Ca) or oyster shells (94% Ca). You can powder them with a blender.

Well Ive been feeding the TOGs with accelerated formula Cal-Mag+ and while I wouldnt say they look better, I can say they are not lookin worse and they are now showing a little growth finally.

I found a sunrise/sunset calendar page which says we wont have 15 hrs of sunlight until May 20th so the ladies wont be going outside full time until then. We are having awesome weather though so for the last 2 days I have been putting the plants out in the sun during the day and they seem to enjoy it. They get about 12 hrs of sunlight and then a couple hrs before and after under the 400 MH.
Heres the link for the calendars-- Sunrise Sunset Calendars - Worldwide Locations

Heres this weeks Plant Pics

These were 2 days ago with just the PK and KABOOM outside for the first time
DSCF05195.JPG
DSCF05209.JPG

These were Yesterday with all plants outside for the first time.
DSCF05213.JPG
DSCF05223.JPG
DSCF05234.JPG
DSCF05243.JPG
DSCF05265.JPG
DSCF05275.JPG
DSCF05286.JPG

Yesterday I also started brewing a Microbe Tea which consisted of
3.5 Gals. De-Chlorinated Tap Water
1- 16OZ cup of Worm Castings
1- Large Handful of Alfalfa Meal
1- Small Handful of Humic Acid
2- OZs Age Old Fish and Seaweed
Roughly 2 to 3 Tbsp. Unsulphured Molasses

I didnt use any straining bags or anything, just dumped it all in a bucket together with a couple airstones and mixed it good. No bubbles yet but our night time temps are in the mid 40s so well see what happens as it warms up today. I wont need to water til tomorrow so theres time.

Wow, I can totally see the difference in growth from those 2 days, those girls are going to kick into high gear here soon Cascadian :bravo: Also, thanks for reminding me, I need to make a beneficial tea here also, kudos and positive vibes your way buddy :)

To be completely honest I do not see any sign of deficiency. R U sure you're not pumping too much nutes?

To be completely honest I do not see any sign of deficiency. R U sure you're not pumping too much nutes?

I dont think too much is the problem because the TOGs in SmartPots are just in recycled Soil From my indoor grows which I added some Castings to. The plastic pots have Super Soil in them because I was gonna flower them but changed my mind and they are lookin great.

The TOGs are the ones with issues. There are rust colored spots which is a result of Calcium Def. right? and I read recently that they like to eat up calcium. The ones in flower are the same or even worse actually but Ill have to get pics of them tonight when the lights come back on. The leaves turn a rusty brownish color and then the spots get dry and brittle, some leaves get a little twisted also.

This is my first time growing any OG strain and I recently saw a few places mention that they arent like growing other strains so I just assumed by what I saw and what Ive read that they are Deficient in Calcium.

I just took these pics for a better close up view
DSCF05474.JPG
DSCF05483.JPG
DSCF05494.JPG
DSCF05502.JPG
DSCF05513.JPG

The ones in flower look similar but theyre 3 ft tall lanky things with buds.

Back
Top Bottom