CBD instead of Levetiracetam, Keppra

Canachris

My Dr. has me on keppra as an antiseizure medication. The keppra makes me feel horrible I'm tired and sore, my normal 45 minutes walk makes me feel like I ran 2 marathons. I was watching Nova (the question of cannabis) and they talked about treating seizures with CBD. is anyone dealing with seizures and if so are you using CBD?

My Dr. has me on keppra as an antiseizure medication. The keppra makes me feel horrible I'm tired and sore, my normal 45 minutes walk makes me feel like I ran 2 marathons. I was watching Nova (the question of cannabis) and they talked about treating seizures with CBD. is anyone dealing with seizures and if so are you using CBD?
Hey Chris sorry about your issue.
I use cbd every day like clockwork.
Along with RSO.
Have you tried RSO or Rick Simpson Oil.
Brilliant stuff changed my life this combination.
Can't say about the seizures though sorry.
Both products I recommend to everyone with health issues.
I'd try the cbd you will benefit from it even if it doesn't stop them.
And if you can fit RSO try it too.
Good luck Amigo, hope your ok.

Stay safe
Bill

Thanks Bill, I'm Ok, just a little freaked out knowing I'll have to take this medication for the rest of my days. I've been researching CBD and it sounds like a better alternative than the keppra. but there is a lot of junk CBD being sold and I'd rather get it from a medical dispensary. My big issue is I need to get my mmj license and here in Mass it cost 250$. Without being able to work my finances are in the toilet. But I've been in worse situations and i always managed. Thanks for your concern and advice

I was under the impression that it was the use of marijuana to help treat and reduce the severity of seizures that led to the acceptance of marijuana as having a medical use. Then the use of CBD to treat seizures was a major reason that it started to be accepted on the national level instead of just by the various states.

Did a search using:
marijuana for seizure treatment

and noticed that the description of many of the suggested links included that both marijuana and CBD use has helped to reduce the severity of seizures caused by many different health issues.

Thanks Bill, I'm Ok, just a little freaked out knowing I'll have to take this medication for the rest of my days. I've been researching CBD and it sounds like a better alternative than the keppra. but there is a lot of junk CBD being sold and I'd rather get it from a medical dispensary. My big issue is I need to get my mmj license and here in Mass it cost 250$. Without being able to work my finances are in the toilet. But I've been in worse situations and i always managed. Thanks for your concern and advice
Hope your feeling better soon my friend.
I'm down to just a daily maintenance dose of each now.
I think it would help if you can get a decent supply.

Stay safe
Bill

The Stanley Brothers in Colorado did a lot of research and developed a high cbd/ultra low thc strain of hemp called Charlotte's Web, named in honor of the little girl, Charlotte Figi, whose seizures were successfully treated with it. They have gone on to have many other success stories documenting its use.

Getting cannabis approved for use by children was not easy, but it has proven highly successful.

I grow a strain called ACDC which is high cbd and low thc. Despite all the fear mongering from politicians and pharmaceutical companies, the best results for the vast majority of issues is actually not straight cbd, but a mix of both cbd and thc. So heavily dominant cbd products actually work better with a small amount of thc present as well.

If you are able to grow your own plants, using the leaves and the non-decarboxylated flower can also be an effective treatment for many issues and those versions come without the psychoactive effects of what most people use.

That's the way I take most of mine. I take the leaves and raw flowers, chop them really fine and stick them in a bottle of olive oil, which I then use daily on my salads. I have a chronic condition similar to Chrohn's Disease for which the medical establishment wants me to take steroids for the rest of my life. No thank you.

The raw flower and leaves have treated my condition quite effectively. Cannabis works as a homeostasis rebalancer, helping your body heal itself by realizing things that are out of balance in your system. That's why the same plant can help two different people, one with say high blood pressure and the other with low.

SweetSue, who unfortunately no longer posts here, has a substantial library of some of the medical uses of cannabis Found here and if you have the time and inclination they are well worth the read.

And, interestingly enough, the daily intake of cannabis helps me sleep better, have less aches and pains, better concentration, and on and on. Those are my side effects.

I think it is almost criminal what the politicians have done to demonize this plant. It should be between me and my doctor. If we think it may help, I should be able to try it.

It comes without the significant side effects of most of the chemical drugs on the market and is a better sleep aid than Ambien, treats chronic pain better than opioids, is used in cancer treatments and on and on. It's no wonder that the major pharmaceutical companies are the largest funder of the anti legalization campaigns since it could put many of them out of business.

And the second largest funder? The For-Profit prison companies. Go figure.

The Stanley Brothers in Colorado did a lot of research and developed a high cbd/ultra low thc strain of hemp called Charlotte's Web, named in honor of the little girl, Charlotte Figi, whose seizures were successfully treated with it. They have gone on to have many other success stories documenting its use. Watch one story here.

Getting cannabis approved for use by children was not easy, but it has proven highly successful.

I grow a strain called ACDC which is high cbd and low thc. Despite all the fear mongering from politicians and pharmaceutical companies, the best results for the vast majority of issues is actually not straight cbd, but a mix of both cbd and thc. So heavily dominant cbd products actually work better with a small amount of thc present as well.

If you are able to grow your own plants, using the leaves and the non-decarboxylated flower can also be an effective treatment for many issues and those versions come without the psychoactive effects of what most people use.

That's the way I take most of mine. I take the leaves and raw flowers, chop them really fine and stick them in a bottle of olive oil, which I then use daily on my salads. I have a chronic condition similar to Chrohn's Disease for which the medical establishment wants me to take steroids for the rest of my life. No thank you.

The raw flower and leaves have treated my condition quite effectively. Cannabis works as a homeostasis rebalancer, helping your body heal itself by realizing things that are out of balance in your system. That's why the same plant can help two different people, one with say high blood pressure and the other with low.

SweetSue, who unfortunately no longer posts here, has a substantial library of some of the medical uses of cannabis Found here and if you have the time and inclination they are well worth the read.
I have purchased CBD oil from Charlotte's Web / Stanley Brothers website, it is a bit pricey. There are other sources online that are legit that sell CBD products. I buy my CBD flowers from online sources. It is way cheaper for me to buy than it would cost me to grow. I vape CBD every night, I mix it with my THC weed. I use it for my Diabetes and insomnia. I also make a infusion with organic pumpkin seed oil that I use for a topical and I also give it to my dogs. It would be a lot more affordable to buy a quantity of CBD flowers and make your own oil. CBD / Industrial hemp is legal in all USA states, Farm Bill. I will pay just over $100 US for 1/4 LB of smalls (small flowers) with CBD level of around 18% THC level of .3% or less.

Thanks for all the good info. I'm still researching my options. I've agreed to participate in a study they are doing at the hospital on seniors developing epilepsy. I'm hoping my Dr will be willing to give the CBD a chance. Or that maybe there is someone doing research on treating seizure with CBD.

For some reason there is a mind block from the doctors about this option. Incredibly enough they don't even learn about the endocannabinoid system in med school. Most of them are part of the same brainwashed populace that has bought into the misinformation campaign literally started as a racist way to influence voting.

Good luck with your doc. Hopefuly he/she is open minded enough to consider alternatives. You might have better luck with a doctor with the initials D.O. after their name rather than M.D. I don't know what the distinction is but the DO's seem much more open to alternative therapies in addition to the more traditional chemical "solutions."

For some reason there is a mind block from the doctors about this option. Incredibly enough they don't even learn about the endocannabinoid system in med school. Most of them are part of the same brainwashed populace that has bought into the misinformation campaign literally started as a racist way to influence voting.

Good luck with your doc. Hopefuly he/she is open minded enough to consider alternatives. You might have better luck with a doctor with the initials D.O. after their name rather than M.D. I don't know what the distinction is but the DO's seem much more open to alternative therapies in addition to the more traditional chemical "solutions."
DO stands for doctor of osteopathic medicine. They use the same conventional medical techniques as MDs but with a few other methods. DOs tend to focus more on holistic health and prevention. In holistic health, all parts of a person, including their mind, body, and emotions, are considered during the treatment.

Wow I had completely forgotten this, short term memory loss sux. Well I did get my Mass Medical card, the doctor was a bit difficult to deal with. She told me I shouldn't use CBD because I take statin drugs and "some studies show that they can have adverse reactions in the liver" she then told me I shouldn't use cannabis for the relief of my chronic pain in my feet and back because most people develop a tolerance and I would wi d up having to use more and more over time. She recommended advil or Tylenol. I got the impression she thought I just wanted my medical card just for the discounted price or she thought that because I only had state funded health insurance an got my license at a third of the cost she would bust my... but. Now my seizures are so bad I'm afraid to stop using the drugs because last time I forgot 1 dose I wound up in the hospital for 6 days. My neurologist said he had no issues with me using cannabis but offered no advice about replacing the drugs with CBD or cannabis. My antiseizure meds cost the insurance Co. 2,400 per month one would think if cannabis was a cheaper alternative they would be pushing the doctors to do more research on it. After all isn't it really all about the bottom line. Sorry for the rant, it's just nice to vent

Sorry to hear of the reaction you got,
but I'm not at all surprised.

Check out This video I posted in my 'Alchemy' thread about the use of CBD. It is a panel of 3 medical professionals discussing the use of CBD and the woman talks about how she considers it a SPA treatment for the body since it works so well for Sleep, Pain, and Anxiety.

Apparently there is a non-canna source of CBD made from orange peel which is the identical molecule to the one found in canna plants but with no THC. I will say, however, that in my research I've discovered that having some of both CBD and THC is preferred as they work together to make each more effective than either one on their own.

Wow I had completely forgotten this, short term memory loss sux. Well I did get my Mass Medical card, the doctor was a bit difficult to deal with. She told me I shouldn't use CBD because I take statin drugs and "some studies show that they can have adverse reactions in the liver" she then told me I shouldn't use cannabis for the relief of my chronic pain in my feet and back because most people develop a tolerance and I would wi d up having to use more and more over time. She recommended advil or Tylenol. I got the impression she thought I just wanted my medical card just for the discounted price or she thought that because I only had state funded health insurance an got my license at a third of the cost she would bust my... but. Now my seizures are so bad I'm afraid to stop using the drugs because last time I forgot 1 dose I wound up in the hospital for 6 days. My neurologist said he had no issues with me using cannabis but offered no advice about replacing the drugs with CBD or cannabis. My antiseizure meds cost the insurance Co. 2,400 per month one would think if cannabis was a cheaper alternative they would be pushing the doctors to do more research on it. After all isn't it really all about the bottom line. Sorry for the rant, it's just nice to vent

Have you tried Lamilept/lamotrix with the levetericitam? I'm also epileptic and I remember my Keppra phase when I acted pretty bipolar. Those were the hardest years of my life. I couldn't hold a job, I was horrible to the people I loved and I lost a lot of good friends. Lamotrix got rid of all of that but still have the feeling of being less of myself since it does suppress your personality a bit.

For me, smoking weed never helped with the seizures but then again I was only smoke CBD heavy hybrids.

Also, I hope the attitude of neurologists have changed. I had one of USA's premier neurologist, Dr. Tacoma from Scripps Institute, tell me 10 years ago to not even waste my time with thinking about CBD as medicine.

Back
Top Bottom