CBS Reverses Decision, Agrees to Run Pro-Marijuana Ad

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Was it Margaret Mead who said, "Never underestimate the power of 8,809 readers who care about criminal justice?" Okay, maybe not quite that. But I'm excited to announce that one story we've closely tracked here at Change.org -- CBS's refusal to accept a pro-marijuana legalization ad -- resulted in a victory this afternoon.

Last month, NORML reported that CBS had denied the group's request to place an ad in Times Square that touted the potential billions in taxes that would result from legalizing marijuana. Remember, this is a network that boasts marijuana-infused advertisements for their Showtime Network show, Weeds. It's also the network that was perfectly willing to air a controversial anti-abortion ad aimed at peak viewership during the Super Bowl. But still, somehow CBS decided that NORML's message (“Legalize Marijuana – Billions in Taxes”) would ruffle the network's too-delicate sensibilities.

In a Feb. 3 rejection email, NORML was told, "If CBS changes their morals we will let you know."

Well, it turns out that a month later, the network has decided to stop censoring NORML's message. This afternoon, our organizing director here at Change.org spoke with CBS's communication vice president, Shannon Jacobs. Jacobs told us that the network "communicated to the people who wanted to place the ad that they will accept the ad if they still want to run it."

Congratulations to NORML for winning this well-deserved turnaround -- and thanks to all the Change.org readers who helped rout CBS's decision.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Change.org
Author: Te-Ping Chen
Copyright: 2010 Change.org
Website: CBS Reverses Decision, Agrees to Run Pro-Marijuana Ad | Criminal Justice | Change.org

• Thanks to Rin101 for submitting this article

Yes! A victory for the free speech and the cannabis movements, however small, is still a victory.

The damage has already been done. It makes them look like asses no matter what they do. So it looks like they changed their morals in about a month.

So it looks like they changed their morals in about a month.
Two points.
What makes you think they ever HAD morals to change?
I would be willing to bet a large amount of cash that their change of heart has nothing whatsoever to do with morals.
Nonetheless I am celebrating like everyone else.:roorrip:

I personally don't feel that it was really an issue with there morals as much as it was "what will people think if we show this kind of support for marijuana" and thanks to Norml the people at CBS realized enough people care about this issue to show the ad. JMO.

or maybe im just hopeful.

I personally don't feel that it was really an issue with there morals as much as it was "what will people think if we show this kind of support for marijuana" and thanks to Norml the people at CBS realized enough people care about this issue to show the ad. JMO.
I personally think that they're afraid of their ratings dropping. I hav'nt watched cbs since the news broke that they refused the ad. We are a big audience and we wont take no for an answer !! Relegalize MJ, Now !!

Even the folks that don't like MJ are ready to end prohabition of weed !! It's just a weed !! Have we ever prohibited any other weed ?? Hey,' i'm all for law & order,' but this is friggin rediculious !! It's like prohibiting tomatoes !! And most people have a relative or friend that's been in trouble for having that killer weed in his or her posseion !! And maybe lost their job, or went to jail, because of that !! You see,' Where I live,' you can't work at wal-mart if you smoke killer weed !! Stupid ignorant bastards !!

The comment about CBS changing their morals was in response to their statement above that they will let us know if CBS changes their morals. A foolish statement and it shows that their position was just a diversion of their real fear; What would people think if they ran the ad? I'm sure it was all about money but at least they changed their decision and have done the right thing. however small, it is still a victory and a step toward bringing our fight to the public eye. :peace:

Things are changing, hopefully soon legalization!

In the past (even in the 70s) the people who were involved in the movement said that legalization was around the corner, but now, i really feel it. When before have we had decriminalization in 13 states? When have we ever had PRO-jane ads before? Finally people are starting to change the way they think!

Well even though it sucks that they didn't run the ad earlier I am glad they changed their mind about it. Better late than never I guess.

Kinda pointless to spend money on an ad like that anyways. It is like preaching to the choir in times square. I doubt it is going to change any lawmaker minds. Just my opinion. I am loving the nationwide free publicity this generated though.

Was it Margaret Mead who said, "Never underestimate the power of 8,809 readers who care about criminal justice?" Okay, maybe not quite that. But I'm excited to announce that one story we've closely tracked here at Change.org -- CBS's refusal to accept a pro-marijuana legalization ad -- resulted in a victory this afternoon.

Last month, NORML reported that CBS had denied the group's request to place an ad in Times Square that touted the potential billions in taxes that would result from legalizing marijuana. Remember, this is a network that boasts marijuana-infused advertisements for their Showtime Network show, Weeds. It's also the network that was perfectly willing to air a controversial anti-abortion ad aimed at peak viewership during the Super Bowl. But still, somehow CBS decided that NORML's message ("Legalize Marijuana — Billions in Taxes") would ruffle the network's too-delicate sensibilities.

In a Feb. 3 rejection email, NORML was told, "If CBS changes their morals we will let you know."

Well, it turns out that a month later, the network has decided to stop censoring NORML's message. This afternoon, our organizing director here at Change.org spoke with CBS's communication vice president, Shannon Jacobs. Jacobs told us that the network "communicated to the people who wanted to place the ad that they will accept the ad if they still want to run it."

Congratulations to NORML for winning this well-deserved turnaround -- and thanks to all the Change.org readers who helped rout CBS's decision.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Change.org
Author: Te-Ping Chen
Copyright: 2010 Change.org
Website: CBS Reverses Decision, Agrees to Run Pro-Marijuana Ad | Criminal Justice | Change.org

- Thanks to Rin101 for submitting this article

Awesome----were getting closer!

Kinda pointless to spend money on an ad like that anyways. It is like preaching to the choir in times square. I doubt it is going to change any lawmaker minds. Just my opinion. I am loving the nationwide free publicity this generated though.

I think just being able to post an in such a public place is a step in the direction of educating people that the days of "weed is the devil!" are hopefully coming to an end. Many people who see the ad will at least consider the ads message, and some may rethink their stance. IMO if the affects and myths of cannabis were more in the public eye it would be more widely accepted. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom