Cfl light grow

big papa

Hi every one ! Im new to the forum and I love the way you guy are !
I currently using Only one 600w HPS light in a 120cm with by 200cm hight TENT to flower my plants ! but i'm having problems as in High Heat and low hummidity.\

I was Wondering, If i try with Grow with CFL red spectrum to flower my plants, WOULD IT BE OK ?
WOULD THEY GROW ?
AND WHAT TYPE OF Wolltage SHOULD I USE that is EQUIVALENT TO A 600W HPS ?

Thx :Namaste:

Hey there,

You ask such a simple, yet potentially complicated question! There can be alot of physics terms thrown around when getting into this sort of topic, but I'll try and give you a bit of what I learned during a grow i'm at the tail end of (while keeping it simple):

CFLs are *great* for veg - the plants do not need the same amount of light "intensity" that they do during bloom therefore the short comings of the CFLs (lack of 'power') dont really matter.

On the other hand in bloom there is a very very good reason most people swear by HPS, and that's due to the spectrum of light they put out, it's efficiency, and most of all it's *intensity* (think power!)

I was going to go into bloom with 3 x 250W CFLs but was convinced otherwise - Since they don't have the penetrating power of HPS alot more would be required to get similar results. At the end of the day, will the plants will bloom? Sure! But IMHO it will take alot more CFL watts to equal the same outcome as that of HPS. At minimum 3 - 5 200 - 250W CFLs (mostly 2900K/3100K).

FWIW I also feel for ya on your heating issue. I wound up having to buy radiant reflectors with heat shields and constantly running air through the hoods to keep heat down.

How is your current light setup? How is your ventilation?

Well ive got one completed CFL grow and another working as we speak. Yield will be affectted alittle, but thats the cost for cool temps. Buds not quiteas dense as HPS for sure.
As for equivelent wattage.. your not gonna get there IMO. Just pack as many CFL's in there s you can and you will stll get nice tasty nugs. Heres a journal using I think 525+ actual cfl watts (not rated equivalents but actual watts)
ALEX801's 600w CFL grow

I hope this helps! :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom