Chances Of This Working? [Homemade Grow Box]

its ok, the parts i thought were burn spots was just dried nutes LOL i gave them a spray with water and they look good :)

my box- 2ft x 2ft x 2ft x 2ft

You have a four-dimensional cube? I always wanted to grow in a tesseract! ;)

Seriously, though, congratulations on working to overcome adversity. Surprising you can't find plywood locally. Do you have MDF (medium-density fiberboard)? I'm not really a fan because it emits urea-formaldehyde, but it can be sealed by properly priming and painting ALL of it including the edges. If used, it is a Very Good Idea to do any cutting in a well-ventilated area while wearing a respirator (although around here, many don't bother).

Or drywall? I don't know what it would be called in Australia if the product is not known under that name. Or paneling? Neither are structurally strong, but would serve as walls/ceiling if a proper frame is constructed. And they can be finished/painted.

I have family in Western Australia, and hope to visit your country-that-is-a-continent some day.

EDIT: If your box is 2x2 (not sure what the other two 2s are, one height possibly and the other... I dunno, n-spatial geometry was never my strong suit, lol), that would be 4 square feet(?) in area. When you then multiply that by the height (2?) measurement, you get 8 cubic feet(?), which is volume.

You have a four-dimensional cube? I always wanted to grow in

the 2's meaning 2ft squared (2x2x2x2 = 2ft squared), as for the wood local flooding ruined their plywood. We will just wait for the pltwoid, thanks though.

Anyways, no good news on the wood, but.. a mate just told me they can hook me up with their grow lights and hydro setup and shit, all goid timing because i bought 5 OG Kush seeds offline last night.

And due to me having to move in a week i think i might have to discard our babies or plant them out in the bush and check on them here and there. If i can take them i will, fingers crossed.

This was a just for fun warm up really, the next step is getting a hydro setup and some good lights and a decent box LOL

Ill keep you updated on both, these babies and the new setup on its way ;) so stoked.... smoke time

Good luck on your move. Hope it's a "want to" rather than a "have to" (those usually come too suddenly). And good luck on your growing endeavors. It's pretty easy to hide a small plant or two for a short period of time - such as the actual moving trip. Of course, if you aren't sure how long it'll be until you will be able to unpack - or whether or not someone else will decide to be "helpful" and unpack for you, that's a different story.

TorturedSoul: hahah yea it is a have to move unfortunately but its on a short distance away so its OK! And i will also be unpacking my box ;) my roommates know all
about it anyways!! But thank you very much and happy growing!! Visit again to see the progress!

Anybody care to answer why two of my babies stems are bright green while one is a slight beetrooty colour? These are bagseeds from the same mix so it wouldnt be a diff strain. Could it be health or sex related possibly?

Some plants have stems that are reddish because that is just how they are, kind of like rhubarb, some show stress by turning red. Doesn't mean it is messed up but keep an eye on it.

WillyB :peace:

Might be a pH imbalance causing a nutrient lockout (or a simple nutrient deficiency). I believe there is a thread or three in the Problems, Pests, and Disease Control sub-forum (or its parent forum) that should help you.

Markedly cool nighttime temperatures can also cause purpling.

hmm, its just weird cause the temps are all good, and im giving them nutes every now and then. they are only 5 days old, should i be nuteing them and water? and how often?

At five days old, I would not expect them to need supplemental nutrition.

cheers Sour!!

got some now pics, these are 2 weeks old. got a new 400w MH aswell.

img_20110802_11_47_26_1366790.jpg

img_20110802_09_03_07_6383310.jpg

img_20110802_08_59_19_6172830.jpg

Some if the old leaves look droopy for some reason, trying to figure it out as i go!!

I still like MH bulbs for vegetative growth. I just started a journal and stuck one in my fixture (got the ballast turned down to 250 watts for now). If only I'd remembered to plug the thing into the timer when I stopped messing around for the evening yesterday <WHOOPS>. Oh well, lol. I'll probably turn it back up to 400 watts in a few days to a week and I might switch to the HPS bulb I bought to try in flower since it's advertised as being a "high PAR" one (it's a Lumatek). Haven't made up my mind yet.

BtW, 400 watts in a 2'x2' space is 100 watts per square foot, which is kind of high for young plants. Have you increased the size of your grow box? Are you adding supplemental CO2?

Bet they'll grow as long as the temperatures don't get too high.

Hey Tortured.. since i got the ballast i have had part of my closet closed off to use as a growing environment. The measurements are roughly 50cm(w) x 220cm(h).

Im moving house in 2 days to a seclududed property. Instead of making a box im going to buy a cabnit or stand alone waredrobe.

I too have a 400w HPS which ill be flowering with in about 1-2 weeks.

I think i might keep my strongest plant to make room for new seeds i ordered!!

Should my babies be put in bigger pots yet?

#1 Outide of closet with door open about 5-10cm depending on temps.
img_20110803_13_21_38_8614290.jpg

#2 Full veiw of space being used, 2 4" fans down bottum, 1 big room fan upto to suck air up and blow it out the door (only vent i got at the moment)
img_20110803_13_26_31_2179930.jpg

#3 Using a car windshield sun reflector
img_20110803_13_33_57_6327970.jpg

Back
Top Bottom