Cheap/Free/Low-price Growing Materials for Bankrupt, Poor Man, and Cheap Bastards

i get 2 andhalf gallon and 5 gallonpails for 1 dollar at our big commercial bakery,50 gallon plastic drums 20 bucks, for res's for 5 gallon bucket use turkey baking pans. what i need is a strong acid to balance ph .would muriatic acid for brickwork be safe for plants? say 5ml per 50gal nutes?

i get 2 andhalf gallon and 5 gallonpails for 1 dollar at our big commercial bakery,50 gallon plastic drums 20 bucks, for res's for 5 gallon bucket use turkey baking pans. what i need is a strong acid to balance ph .would muriatic acid for brickwork be safe for plants? say 5ml per 50gal nutes?

DocBud uses sulphuric acid - battery acid, as a cheap PH down. I know plants can use sulfur... not sure what they use to make muriatic acid or if it would harm plants.

thanks for tip battery acids working great. i. love this thread. . i made my aero cloner for 80 bucks at lowes, or homedepo same as the comercial ones does 72 at a time 98% strike rate. jim b maine

000_0520.JPG

I love the part about restaurants having buckets.....
I scored about 6 of these buckets that once held bags of sesame oil from a middle eastern restaurant a few years back. I've been using them for my outdoor grows ever since with great results.

Don't forget the DIY aspect. If you are the creative sort (Many of us MJ smokers are) you can fabricate just about anything, or a suitable replacement that will certainly work. I have made awesome reflectors out of sheet metal ducting material sold in home stores. Making a bat wing type of reflector is very simple and the materials are Cheap.

Five gallon buckets are a GREAT resource - you can use them for everything - storage, dirt growing, hydro, hempy... and I know the restaurant ones must be easier to clean than the paint and drywall buckets I get.

Part of the reason I came up with my DIY smart pot was to keep the roots from touching the sides of a can that had been used for paint.

I've been broke lately and keep putting off getting a carbon scrubber so I threw one together on quick an easy. I tried pc fans for a little bit and wasn't feeling the design so I gave into using a bigger fan design good for a room.
SCUBR.jpg

Tape up shirt sleeves and neck good to fill with kitty litter or carbon - I almost used a shirt with a big picture on the front but changed my mind because using it like a filter/screen blowing air through a printed shirt doesn't work as well.
SCUBR-_1_.JPG

Dump one or two small bowls of kitty litter or crystals or carbon in the shirt and tape off the bottom before spreading it out flat make the shirt look like a jelly filled pancake.
SCUBR-_2_.JPG

Tape to the back of a fan leaving room for the fan to pull large amounts of air through the t-shirt. This fan was going to the garbage with a tweaked cord so I spliced it back together and wanted to put it to use in a room.
SCUBR-_3_.jpg

Grabbed this filter for free, Target dumpster/ Tape the middle tight, try to pin the shirt down good so the filling doesn't spill around. This step is optional/re workable
It's loud and ugly so I hid it in the corner back behind my electone synth using it on medium setting for a little while today. I won't recommend this to replace a good scrubber or ozone generator at all and I'll probably only use it for an hours intermittently. Thanks for watching​

the mylar bubble wrap i use is reflectek r value around 4 great stuff gonna use on all my hoods with foil type tape.i also use for movable walls.this stuff is a great find. jim b

If like me, you have an in at your local meat plant... luckily, where I live, we have just such a place... my son in law works there... anyhow... back to the DIY tip:
They make sausage at that plant, that means that they get 50 gallon barrels of pork and sheep casings for making sausages!
These are very heavy duty plastic FOOD GRADE barrels! FREE and really easy to get super clean!
You just go up and ask or... wait for it... you gotta know someone inside... LOL
Anyways... that's my DIY freebie tip... enjoy!

want to save money and grow bigger buds?keep the glass on your hoods and bulbs clean.a little thing like this makes a big differance. jim burke

My wife has been growing house plants in gravel and sugar water for decades. Nothing to it.

Another angle on the food grade plastics. Restaurants get cooking oil in narrow five gallon containers. They're about the size of a Jerry-Can for ex-military guys out there. They'll give them to you if you ask. You can use them for res set-ups,nute mixing,watering or what I think is the best use,cut the tops off and use 'em as narrow containers for 3-4 plant SOG's in narrow places. You can fit two of them in 1.5 sq. ft. space easily.

There's another type that bulk food stores use. They're basically 1 foot square and roughly 20 inches tall. The handle and screw on lid are built to sit flush with top of the container for easy stacking. Use for a res or cut 'em half for a double Hempy SOG in a two foot space,4 clones/seedlings per containers.

If you want to use them as a res,you can buy a spigot that fits the container at the store. Hook it to some tubing and an el cheapo aquarium pump and you're rocking.

Back
Top Bottom