Choosing a chip

Im trieng to upgrade a blurple cob that was burning out. Im hoping for some input on options for the two drivers it has. I checked with a multimeter and it read .7amps and voltage changed between 35-40.
Im quite the noob on this so that could be wrong. The driver says 200-300 watts but if I understand corectly that's more like 25 watts maybee.
My original plan was to remove the original chips and use citizen 1212's one per each original driver.
That didn't work. When wired individualy it would flash off and on or flicker,quite a bright flash.
I then removed one driver and used two 1212's in series. This worked... kinda. Its weak though.

Is there a different cob chip that would work one chip per driver?

If using one driver with two chips in series is all I could do, would this be ok to run without the active cooling fans.
Im thinking if nothing else this is good for clones and early veg and use the cooling fans to vent a small growbox

Without the spec sheet for either this driver or the original COB; or having physical access to the driver for testing, I can't tell. There's not enough information printed on the driver.

Thanks Salt. Im thinking this thing is probably past its prime. Just a little play project with well worn gear. So far I wouldn't call it a waste, just not knocking it out of the park.

Can you measure the current through, and voltage across one of the COBs in a working light?
I probably need to check again when I can. The measurement I took before was while it was on with both cobs on in a series.
What made me unsure was it's the first time I used a multimeter and the voltage didnt stay the same number it was up and down. 35-40 volts .7 amp

OK, this is probably a constant current power supply. If that voltage was across one COB you need something that requires 700mA at roughly 35V. The Citizen CLU038-1208C4 series (720mA 34V) should work.

Thanks you. I will definatly look into those. The 1212's are gona get "repurposed" with a couple more added for a flowering light, and a meanwell driver. Im so anxious to get this going.
Ive got a few days off coming, hopefully I can get the new rig for the 1212's going, and get some different cobs going for this little light.
It didn't do a bad job before the diodes started burning out so I think with the right chip and spectrum this thing could make a great veg light.

Back
Top Bottom