LED Driver - Proper Specification Calculations

Fastarkid

420 Member
If I start planning a DIY strip of LED's to supplement a specific portion of the spectrum.
So It's starting to look like I might need a mixed bunch of LED chips that have varying forward voltages and varying levels of amperage.
How would I calculate the required specifications of the driver if (for example) the LED chips on the strip might be something like

3 chips with forward voltage of 2.4v
6 chips with FV of 2.8v
7 chips with FV of 2.9v
10 chips with FV of 3.1v

Or is it necessary (or best) that all chips have the same exact forward voltage?
have you seen an article or book that can teach me this topic of selecting the proper driver?
thank you

We have an app for this…. and his name is @Bluter ….

not only can he grow beyond master level - he can assemble led lights & cobs from scratch while blindfolded

dude stays slammed with tons of stuff but hang tight and hopefully he will swing by soon
@bluter :hookah:

If I start planning a DIY strip of LED's to supplement a specific portion of the spectrum.
So It's starting to look like I might need a mixed bunch of LED chips that have varying forward voltages and varying levels of amperage.
How would I calculate the required specifications of the driver if (for example) the LED chips on the strip might be something like

3 chips with forward voltage of 2.4v
6 chips with FV of 2.8v
7 chips with FV of 2.9v
10 chips with FV of 3.1v

Or is it necessary (or best) that all chips have the same exact forward voltage?
have you seen an article or book that can teach me this topic of selecting the proper driver?
thank you

all your emitters should have a matching FV. if they don't you need to calculate as if the highest FV was standard. if mixing emitters with different FV you will also need to run a specific number of each.

miscalculation will result in a fixture that won't work on the one side, or a spectacular blaze the emergency responders will never forget.

for a real good intro and example builds i now recommend led gardener dot com. there used to be a number of places with good info and tutorials but they've all kinda dried up. led gardener has the best info you'll find in one spot. they also have a driver calculator.

Back
Top Bottom