Chopped em down today

4me2kn0

I harvested my 2 plants today. While cutting them down I noticed a strong bitter bug spray smell mixed with over ripened tomato smell... is this normal? Also what is the best way to quick dry a couple buds for testing?

20230312_193023.jpg

Depends, did you use a bitter smelling bug spray? Can’t say that I’ve ever had newly harvested bud smell like either of those things. But as long as there’s no mold/mildew/fungus it should be fine , and the terp profile might change as the buds cure.
Nope, no type of bug spray/insect repellent ever got near my plants.

While cutting them down I noticed a strong bitter bug spray smell mixed with over ripened tomato smell... is this normal?
Is it normal, no. The smell should be neutral or a citrus fruity terpine smell.

The over-ripened tomato smell is concerning. We are not there it see, touch or smell your harvest in person so we have to go on what you tell us.

I suggest cutting off one or two of the brown looking top buds that I circled in red in the photo posted at the bottom. Take a photo. Then cut them open and take another photo. Post the photos and tell us what just those smell like and what they feel like when you touch or gently rub them between your fingers.

It might be the room lighting makes them look brown like that but they remind me of bud-rot. And, the mention of the overripened tomato smell is not a good sign.

No need to panic yet. Like I said it might be the lighting on the hanging buds. And even if there is a problem people have reported success in saving their harvest by selectively removing bad buds and going through a good cleaning. But first the extra photos.

I did have to go through a harvest a couple of weeks ago which had that tomato smell similar to what you mentioned.

Also what is the best way to quick dry a couple buds for testing?
I have read of people cutting off small samples and putting them in a microwave and doing short periods of 50 to 75% power. Check every time and repeat until dry.

Also read msgs where growers would cut off samples and put on a metal pan in an oven set at the lowest temperature for as long as it took to dry them out enough to roll up and light.

The few times I wanted a quick testing session I would take some of the smallest buds, the ones people call larf, and put those in a bowl and put it in a warmer than room temperature spot for a couple of days. It would be a harsh and strong taste but enough to give me an idea of what to expect when a proper dry and cure was done.

If you want to try one of those methods stick with the buds that are completely green and maybe a quick wash under warm water and some hydrogen peroxide but NO soap.

buds-brown.jpg

Also what is the best way to quick dry a couple buds for testing?
Sweat it
Air tight tub on top of a lamp to gently heat from the bottom
Ice pack on top to keep the lid cool, condensation will form on the inside of the lid
Wipe off condensation and allow to completely cool, then repeat as necessary

I suggest cutting off one or two of the brown looking top buds that I circled in red in the photo posted at the bottom. Take a photo. Then cut them open and take another photo. Post the photos and tell us what just those smell like and what they feel like when you touch or gently rub them between your fingers.

It might be the room lighting makes them look brown like that but they remind me of bud-rot. And, the mention of the overripened tomato smell is not a good sign.

No need to panic yet. Like I said it might be the lighting on the hanging buds. And even if there is a problem people have reported success in saving their harvest by selectively removing bad buds and going through a good cleaning. But first the extra photos.

buds-brown.jpg
Here's some picks of the browner looking bud on the top left you circled. The smell is still bitter today but kinda more like a bitter grapefruit smell.

20230313_165059.jpg

20230313_165055.jpg

20230313_165052.jpg

20230313_165043.jpg

20230313_165021.jpg

20230313_165016.jpg

20230313_164915.jpg

20230313_164910.jpg

20230313_164904.jpg

20230313_164846.jpg

Hard to really tell by just looking at it, but I don’t see anything that screams mold/bud rot. Other than some brown looking leaves/tips, it looks fine. You said the scent is starting to change, so hopefully as it cures the scent may mellow. I’m kinda at a loss to explain it. Maybe someone sees/knows something I don’t.

Hard to really tell by just looking at it, but I don’t see anything that screams mold/bud rot. Other than some brown looking leaves/tips, it looks fine. You said the scent is starting to change, so hopefully as it cures the scent may mellow. I’m kinda at a loss to explain it. Maybe someone sees/knows something I don’t.
This strain is a hybrid of diesel and something else so maybe it's supposed to have this sour bitter smell..

Screenshot_20230313_222553_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230313_223055_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom