Christmas Lights Cheap Alternative?

PotnGTA

I've been researching online about LED lights and using them to grow, it seems like such an awesome thing until you see the price tags on these lights. Couldn't you to the same effect buy a blue strand of 125 LED lights all using about 1 watt each, and a red strand. Take these and intertwine them in a wire fence around the plant from top to bottom. A 250 watt LED light seems to me to be a decent source of lumens, even more so with such a close proximity. I could be and probably am foolishly mistaken some how otherwise youd think youd be seeing this around more often.

I've been researching online about LED lights and using them to grow, it seems like such an awesome thing until you see the price tags on these lights. Couldn't you to the same effect buy a blue strand of 125 LED lights all using about 1 watt each, and a red strand. Take these and intertwine them in a wire fence around the plant from top to bottom. A 250 watt LED light seems to me to be a decent source of lumens, even more so with such a close proximity. I could be and probably am foolishly mistaken some how otherwise youd think youd be seeing this around more often.

I don't know much about LED lighting but I will agree and say that if this were viable that you'd see 100000 posts on the subject.

:Rasta:

Yeah but still I'd like to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about like an admin.

PotnGTA ease up on 420fied.!? He is right if you do not see any grows using that style of lighting than you came up with new idea or it sucks! But I not an Admin either!! So don't take my word!!:loopy: :hmmmm: :rollingeyes: Merry Chrismas!

Yeah but still I'd like to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about like an admin.
i think this qualifies . . .
420fied
Plant and Member of the Month Winner

we have some very knowledgeable members that aren't on staff.
:passitleft:

I like how you all are bashing the fact i wanted some form of a descisive opinion, he admited he didn't know much about LED lighting, I'm not trying to demote him in anyway I was just trying to tell everyone that comes in to this thread that I still want opinions to presented and the book hasn't really been shut.

I don't know much about LED lighting but I will agree and say that if this were viable that you'd see 100000 posts on the subject.

:Rasta:

Oh and for what it counts i reread my statement and it was a little harsh and I apologize, I got home at about 3 the night before and was just waking up for class and was all pissy to see no definate answer.

:peace:

look at it this way, turn on the christmas lights and place your hand where light no longer illuminates it. in order for the plant to get any lumens out of it, the lights would all but have to be touching the plant itself, even en' mass they wouldn't add up to the light requirements.
Remember light wattage is how much energy the lights require to work, not how much they put out. Normally the two coincide, but in this case, the output nowhere near matches the power input.
Not to mention most Christmas lights are cheaply made, and are at best a fire hazard, hence the instruction to turn them off when you aren't there to supervise them. If you want to have lights on a very tight budget, CFL's and even some 250watt MH/HPS systems are very inexpensive, and aren't likely to burn your house down, and will surely outperform Christmas lights.

Thats the most definitive answer you can get, admin or no.

That said, I apologize for being a smart azz, but if you ask for advice, don't knock it, arbitrarily, there are so many knowledgable growers on this site, that dont actually work for the site that, you can rest assured, knowing most who go from question to question trying to help, more than likely know the game, quite well.

welcome, and I hope there many bountiful crops to come for you. (Minus the Christmas lights. ;) )

Oh and for what it counts i reread my statement and it was a little harsh and I apologize, I got home at about 3 the night before and was just waking up for class and was all pissy to see no definate answer.
i remember when i was new here saying something very similar, actualy it was exactly similar :cool:. its no biggie imo. forget about it.

look at it this way, turn on the christmas lights and place your hand where light no longer illuminates it. in order for the plant to get any lumens out of it, the lights would all but have to be touching the plant itself, even en' mass they wouldn't add up to the light requirements.
Remember light wattage is how much energy the lights require to work, not how much they put out. Normally the two coincide, but in this case, the output nowhere near matches the power input.
Not to mention most Christmas lights are cheaply made, and are at best a fire hazard, hence the instruction to turn them off when you aren't there to supervise them. If you want to have lights on a very tight budget, CFL's and even some 250watt MH/HPS systems are very inexpensive, and aren't likely to burn your house down, and will surely outperform Christmas lights.

Thats the most definitive answer you can get, admin or no.

That said, I apologize for being a smart azz, but if you ask for advice, don't knock it, arbitrarily, there are so many knowledgable growers on this site, that dont actually work for the site that, you can rest assured, knowing most who go from question to question trying to help, more than likely know the game, quite well.

welcome, and I hope there many bountiful crops to come for you. (Minus the Christmas lights. ;) )

That's more likely thx, I think what I'm going to do is buy a LED light kit that isn't assembled and do some sodering. Those look pretty cheap. This will be my first indoor grow.

Whats wrong with what works?? HPS 650w to 1000w MH 1000wt. Heat? Thats what vent fans are for. Electricity costs? Definitely.. That gives us something to develop, so how bout a solar powered source for the lights, hell that might work out good in several areas of daily life. In the meantime for best results use what works and overgrow the financal hardships.

.....This will be my first indoor grow.
its gonna be a challenge but you've got lotsa new friends here ready to lend advice. not me much, i don't have that much grow knowledge to share, just enough to get me in over my head (over my head, don't i wish).

i agree that your cheapest/least heat as an issue choice would be cfl's. its surprising what you can pull off with cfl's.

good luck!

The lack of money is the root of ALL evil...

Yeah I'm saving up for all the stuff right now, maybe I hould rob a liquor store, that's how the media seems to view pot heads. In reality I'm going to have to give up bud for 2 months, gotta still pay bills. But interestingly enough, my first harvest won't be mine, I'm giving it to a breast cancer patient friend of the family, she's probably going to die in 2010 and she needs it more than me.

The first step to success is to leave the negative behind. You will accomplish your goals without taking from others. Timing is every thing, so is condition. To pronounce the death of someone you love is to deny their right to fight for life. Never lay down you might crush the weak and small that depend on your strength. In-vision what you want don't focus on failure, you'll miss opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom