Cleaning my walls between grows?

RandyL

My growing area has painted walls (drywall underneath, of course) with a somewhat rough texture to them. I was thinking of doing a total wash down of the walls between grow cycles to eliminate any insects or powdery mildew that may be in there.

Any ideas on what products to use? I can use a small scrub brush on the walls, I was just not sure how it would affect the paint.

The plants in my vegging area had a PM problem in the last cycle of vegging, don't want to have to deal with it again. Getting it under control once was enough.

I've got a couple of china's ( China Plates . . rhyming slang for "mates") who grow and they give the walls a bleaching - spray it on with a garden sprayer/mister backpack thingie, leave to dry then slap on a new coat of paint. Sometimes they only paint every second grow, just depends on how much time they have. And Dexter for Morgan is about right on the bleach/h2o ratio too.

After you wash the walls be sure to spray the walls and floor with a product like Ortho Home Defense. Works very well as a preventative and is safe for you and your pets as well.

While spraying the GR with a bleach-water solution and allowing it to dry will sanitize it, I'd suggest actually cleaning the place as well. (IOW, sanitizing a dirty wall still leaves you with a dirty wall, lol).

Any paint store should be able to add an anti-mold/fungal/etc. agent to the product that you purchase.

If you are going to repaint and if your walls are textured ("somewhat rough" or otherwise), why not properly prep them? Patch any holes/divots and sand the walls smooth before priming (with a decent primer) and you've just increased the effective reflectivity appreciably. Might as well use as much of the light that you are paying for as possible.

BtW, if you had a PM situation, it's likely due to the fact that conditions happened to be favorable for growth of it, not so much that you somehow "contaminated" your space - since it almost certainly already is, lol; there are spores pretty much everywhere outside of an ISO 1 cleanroom. (The ambient air outside in a typical urban environment contains 35,000,000 particles per cubic meter in the size range 0.5 μm and larger in diameter, corresponding to an ISO 9 cleanroom, while an ISO 1 cleanroom allows no particles in that size range and only 12 particles per cubic meter of 0.3 μm and smaller. Obviously, not all of the particulate matter in any given volume will be PM spores - but a fair amount will be.)

Back
Top Bottom