Clone became black

alse

420 Member
Hi guys,

I'm using the tap water method to clone, doing this on 6 clones previously. I do sanitise scissors before I cut clones, use root powder, and put them into tap water.

So far only 2 of them grow root (in 7 days), but they developing overwater symptoms very soon. Which is dying soon.

The others turn into black color, wilting and dying off. Any way I can do to improve clones surviving rate?

20200703_081751.jpg

20200703_081903.jpg

use rooting hormone gel like clonex and follow proper procedures. Best to use a medium that you can control moisture level. Rock wool cubes or jiffy pucks or something alike works best for cannabis cuttings. tap water cloning works better for tomatoes and other certain plants

check this guy, he has every video you need to produce quality cannabis!

Try cutting them with a razor instead of scissors. I found better results because the stem is like a bundle of drinking straws and sometimes the scissors pinch and damage the "straws" making it harder for the clone to draw up water.
Also try scraping the bottom of the stem to remove a tiny bit of outer flesh which will make it a little easier for roots to push through.
Be sure to move the cuttings into water immediately! I mean ASAP. The sooner the less chance of drawing air bubbles into the stem.
The water technique has worked well for me. Only main difference is that other methods can root faster...but involve more gear etc. I'm okay with using a solo cup and waiting an extra week

I respectfully disagree re the air bubble theory/myth. I once did a side by side test with cuttings and the ones left out on the shelf for half an hour did the same as the ones immediately put into water. I started a thread on it somewhere or other - many years ago now.

I find that cuttings rooted in water tend to be a little weak and the roots break off easily. But some people manage to get away with it.

More importantly re the question- If rot/slime is setting in before roots establish, try adding a product like Hydroguard or Z9. It can be a real lifesaver.

Once they go black they never go back....

I respectfully disagree re the air bubble theory/myth. I once did a side by side test with cuttings and the ones left out on the shelf for half an hour did the same as the ones immediately put into water. I started a thread on it somewhere or other - many years ago now.

I find that cuttings rooted in water tend to be a little weak and the roots break off easily. But some people manage to get away with it.

More importantly re the question- If rot/slime is setting in before roots establish, try adding a product like Hydroguard or Z9. It can be a real lifesaver.

Once they go black they never go back....

Can you please explain how hydroguard or Z9 help?

Thanks for reply guys. I am struggling right now.

Sorry I was on a boat trip away from internet-land.
Basically Z9 prevents slime from growing on the cuttings. I’m not sure of the ingredients or the process. All I know is it’s been a lifesaver for me and I wish I’d bought it many years earlier. Now I can consistently count on getting roots while before I was constantly struggling and usually failing. I tried many many different methods, built and purchased many types of cloners, and lost a lot of strains and favorite plants when I was unable to clone them.

As for Hydroguard- this is a blurb from the net

“How Hydroguard Works. Hydroguardcontains a strain of bacteria known as bacillus amyloliquefaciens. Once applied to the substrate, the bacteria quickly colonise the rhizosphere, increasing nutrient uptake while helping to breakdown dead roots and other organic materials.”

Back
Top Bottom