Clone roots turning brown after a few days?

RandyL

I've got a bunch of clones going right now, about 30 Bubba and 10 GDPs. I cut them on August 1, and so far I've got 10 that have been transplanted to dirt and can sustain themselves. 3 others looked like they had enough roots, but once in dirt they wilted, and even after 3 more days in the humidity dome (in the dirt pot) they still can't take care of themselves.

I'm getting about a 25% to 30% success rate on clones so far. Some of them still do not have roots, and some have very little roots.

I've kept them sprayed, in a 75 degree room, with 128 watts worth (4 bulbs) of 4 foot long 6000K T8 light bulbs on them.

One thing I've been wondering about is how the roots tend to turn brown after a while. I let them go long enough to get decent roots, but it seems like if I let them go too long they roots turn brown, and after that there's no saving them. Does brown mean the roots are dying?

I'm using rockwool cubes, is there a certain PH range of water I should be using? Someone told me rockwool tends to raise the PH. I use RO water with about 1/4 strength Fox Farms Big Bloom in it.

I'm going to try building a hydro cloner soon, they seem to have more success than what I've been doing in my last 3 grow cycles with cloning.

When cloning in cubes, make something to cover the roots. Roots don't like light.
And I usually spray the humidity dome not the plants themselves.

Back
Top Bottom