Clones rooted and transplanted but not growing

dubnation

Hi 420fam. So I took cuttings about 20 days ago. They all rooted in rockwool after about 8-10 days and then were placed in roots organic soil in solo cup. I've watered them twice since in soil and my most recent water was a few days ago. I used some coconut water, Kelp Meal tea and diluted with pH adjusted water. Out of 9 clones this one is just not responding well and leaves are beginning to curl.

420-magazine-mobile585240451.jpg

Any advice on what I should do?

Other key facts:

RH in upper 60s
Temps around upper 70s to mid 80s
T5 HO lights are very close to clones (2-4 inches)

420-magazine-mobile1283876649.jpg

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ah great idea. Yeah that was a big concern of mine that the rockwool stays too moist in the soil. So I try very hard to only water the edges of the cup but I know the RW will wick up all the moisture.

My plan has been and will continue to let the cups get super light before watering. It's 2 days since my last one. And usually 4-5 days in between watering.

Just did a Epsom salt foliar spray on them. Maybe it's MG deficiency?

When I used rock wool I pulled as much off as I could too. You can still do that while it's in soil. Having too much water near the stem discourages roots from searching for water further away and also blocks oxygen.

Keep in mind that even though clones are genetically identical, differences in the cuttings will cause clones to develop differently. Some will develop perfect balance between roots and leaves, etc. Most are lacking in some respect. And inevitably some clones will root but take longer to establish balanced system and lag behind others.

Edit: I see your new post above and agree you are on right track. I would still try to remove as much rock wool as you can. Pulling slowly it usually separates around roots and often I can get all of it off.

Nervous to pull off the rockwool but will try. I assume since it's been in soil for 8 days that I can only get to the top of the rockwool.

Next time during transplant I'll definitely try that.

My buddy says the twisted leaves are from too much nutes already in the soil. Maybe the Kelp tea was a bad idea.

Will watch her for next day and see if she improves.

Thanks for the help!

She doesn't look that bad. Flush would stress her more. Probably better off just waiting for her to turn around. If she does start to show more signs of nute burn you could try flushing, but I think unless she can do it herself you'd be better off letting her go. 7 out of 8 clones is a good success rate.

Are there drainage holes in your solo cups? Invest $1.57 for some reusable pots. They are designed for growing plants and will do a better job of keeping light off of the stems. Add more perlite to your soil mix. This will also help with drainage and allow your roots to navigate through your soil better. Defoliation will also help your plants soak up water and encourage root growth.

Yes there are drainage slits cut in the bottom of the solo cups. I used them for germination and 9 out of 10 did. But this is reused soil which I should have amended and added more perlite.

Turns out the issue was weak cuttings. The good cuttings I took rooted 4 out of 5 and are now in 1-gal pots with perlite and EWC along with fresh soil.

Dubnation I just read and dealt with some moss/mold issues myself. Molds, mosses and other living things like to grow in a ph of 5-6. If your soul isn't neutral (I'm suspecting it's not because of it being used.) you would be more likely to have root rot issues.

Back
Top Bottom