Cloning medium

Hey all you fine 420 folks
Just had a question on different medium options to get clones to root in? I’ve been doing autos for about 2 years and just started my first photo strain. I do small grows and would only take about 4 clones at a time so I’m just looking for something simple that works.

Love Rapid Rooters. Love them : )

20190104_203614.jpg

Hey all you fine 420 folks
Just had a question on different medium options to get clones to root in? I’ve been doing autos for about 2 years and just started my first photo strain. I do small grows and would only take about 4 clones at a time so I’m just looking for something simple that works.
I like cheap and simple :p I use a 3 liter bottle, jiffy pellets, and rooting powder...simple easy and I have a 100% live rate going...since '08...peace
002.jpg

Rockwool works quite well, I have about a 90% success rate getting clones to root.

The thing you have to understand with rockwool is that the cubes have a high or alcaline pH, so you have to soak the cubes in water adjusted to about pH 4.5 - 5.5 for about 2 hours before you put the cuttings into them. If you don't do this they'll probably die. Remember this one simple step and you'll have rooted clones within a few days.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :passitleft: I’m going to see what my local shop carries. Do you guys use any types of nutes in the water?
Don't bother until they're rooted. No roots = no ability to uptake nutes.

I've tried everything. I also root other plants with limited success. I think the diff medium options work for diff people. All work to some extent so it's matter of trying things out. I tried the discs and had some success, then killed a bunch, tried the rockwool squares, same story. Now I'm having good success with seed starter mix bought by the bag and used in whatever small starter container with drainage you have. It's available almost everywhere in the early growing season - organic. I find this gives me a super fluffy mix of peat and other light stuff so I can avoid compaction or over saturation, which is my biggest issue. I've used dry root starter and also the gel clonex, both work with ample coverage. I drop a drop into the hole in the medium too, whether I'm supposed to or not. Also, don't let air into the cutting before processing with root starter. Once you make a clone cut drop it immediately into water (the root end) so no air gets into the cells and block water, etc flow, resulting in it not rooting or otherwise dying.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :passitleft: I’m going to see what my local shop carries. Do you guys use any types of nutes in the water?
No nutes, and to update your query into cloning........

I took this pic on 1/11/2019 as I just happened to be cloning 2 at the time...
002.jpg

I took this pic a few minutes ago as I wiped the condensation off the inside and sprayed lightly with plain water...
003.jpg

and the other is about ready to show...lol...

Back
Top Bottom