Do I need to to add nutrients to Promix HP for an outdoor grow

Nickychips

Hey guys, I’ve grown a cpl plants with minimal effort outdoors but am looking to put more effort this year in the hope or better results. I’ve germinated 6 seeds I’ve accumulated from high quality buds over the past year or so finding one here and there. They are doing fine and I’m planning on and in the process of hardening them off and putting them out for good in a cpl weeks. I’m gonna go from solo cups to 2 gal planters and use pro mix hp as a medium. My question is if when and how much nutrients to add? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I’ll post a pic of my ladies just for fun lol

Enjoying a bit or rays

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 238
Yes you do. You feed promix from the start, with every watering.

If you want to keep things stupid simple, check out MegaCrop from greenleaf nutrients. It's a single part, dry fertilizer, that is measured in grams per gallon, and the number of grams is dependent on the stage of growth. It's also crazy cheap, and grows fantastic plants.

You'll want more than 2gal pots for the final though. More like 10gal. I strongly suggest fabric pots, as they will help prevent the plants getting root bound.

If you want to keep things stupid simple, check out MegaCrop from greenleaf nutrients. It's a single part, dry fertilizer, that is measured in grams per gallon, and the number of grams is dependent on the stage of growth. It's also crazy cheap, and grows fantastic plants.

You'll want more than 2gal pots for the final though. More like 10gal. I strongly suggest fabric pots, as they will help prevent the plants getting root bound.
Ya I’m planning to transplant again when they grow a bit more. I went to one nursery that didn’t have fabric pots but I’ll see if I can get some come time to transplant again. As far as the nutrients, is the one you mentioned organic? And so I mix it in with the water every feeding? I was going to add in worm castings and bat guano to the pro mix. Advisable? Thanks appreciate your input

@multiVortex
You feed promix from the start? I thought it was considered a soilless medium but treated like soil. No nutes till about 2 weeks?
I could be wrong though.
I feed mine from day 1 with mega crop.

Really? Wow. TIL! I was almost certain it was treated like soil. Good to know.
Thanks VG

I sprout mine with 1g/gal even. Well, I crack them in water to get a tail, then into a rapid rooter. I moisten the rooter with feed. (I use RO so there isn’t anything in the water.)

Ya I’m planning to transplant again when they grow a bit more. I went to one nursery that didn’t have fabric pots but I’ll see if I can get some come time to transplant again. As far as the nutrients, is the one you mentioned organic? And so I mix it in with the water every feeding? I was going to add in worm castings and bat guano to the pro mix. Advisable? Thanks appreciate your input

I'd try a grow shop, and then amazon. They're not expensive. IIRC it was about $20+/- for a 5-pack of square fabric pots (vivosun, I think). My local shop has the round ones for a couple three bucks a piece.

Yes, it's "organic." They haven't paid to be listed (can't blame them, really) but it's organic/vegan.

I would skip the other stuff. You don't need it. When you go mixing types of growing, it can bust your shit real quick. The key to a foundation of success is good, proper equipment, and keeping things simple as possible.

Promix, megacrop, and patience will get you far. You'll need a little digital scale to weigh it out. Make sure it can read in 1/10ths of a gram. Amazon for about $15. Sometimes people guesstimate with 1tsp, 1/2tsp, etc. Not really worth it. Better to know exact than take a risk of over/under feeding your plants.

Since you're growing bagseed, you're in a "box of chocolates" situation. You don't know what you're going to get. Hopefully some female, but you won't know until you know. Kill off the males with a quickness though.

Thanks for the info @multiVortex. I had no idea. I should get some of this MC I hear so much about. I’m still on a 3 part system.

It's the real deal for sure. There's hype around it, but all warranted. It definitely grows some excellent plants. Feed and read your leaves. They'll tell you if they want more or less. And really, it is exactly that. One part. There are a couple exceptions where a setup needs calmag (coco/hydro, LED's, RO) but that isn't a big deal.

Yeah I use CaliMagic anyway since I use RO aswell as LED but I don’t feed for 2 weeks in promix. Maybe I should change that!

What could go wrong? :rofl:

Pro mix hp is really light for outdoor. You'll be watering twice a day or more.

Technically pro mix does have a starter dose according to the manufacturer. I don't feed mine in the first two weeks. Yes you can treat it like soil as long as you add in enough organic material to contain a microherd. Guano, ewc, bone meal, compost etc.. it's the main component in most super soil/ L.O.S recipes. It basically starts ok for hydro and the more organic material you mix with it the more like soil it becomes. I ran a few harvests with amended pro mix and natural nutrients

Pro mix bx is heavier (has bark in it) and holds onto moisture longer. Depending on how much your ammending the base it may be a better choice.

@multiVortex
You feed promix from the start? I thought it was considered a soilless medium but treated like soil. No nutes till about 2 weeks?
I could be wrong though.

I believe that Promix is the same as Sunshine mix, which I use and is similar in pretty much every way, in that it contains a light dose of starter nutrients.

Most calmag supplements do have nitrogen, true. I did find one from True Plant Science (Organic Calmag) that doesn't have nitrogen, and it's working really well. I would typically use that just in flower, but honestly a gallon of it is cheaper ($40) than either the gen hydro calimagic ($46) or botanicare calmag+ ($45).

I do like the botanicare stuff because it contains a range of micronutrients, as well as a few other odds and ends like amino acids and whatnot*. Once in awhile I need to use something with less N in it though.

* “Cal-Mag Plus contains: calcium, magnesium, iron, boron, zinc, manganese, molybdenum, copper, cobalt, iodine, beneficial vitamins, twenty essential amino acids and select botanical plant extracts...”

I ordered that fertiliser could you tell me the measurements please?also is that the only fertiliser that I would need as I seen they sell bud explosion?thanks

Hello the part I see missing here is that there are 4 different types of pro mix that I know of and they are all different , hp , bx etc, with mycchoriza with out I would not feed for the 1st 2 weeks but the directions on the bag should give you a idea as to what's in it .

I ordered that fertiliser could you tell me the measurements please?also is that the only fertiliser that I would need as I seen they sell bud explosion?thanks
1588251732221.jpeg

Above is the feed chart @farside05 uses. I use it as well, or close to it depending on what I’m running.

Silica/calmag are optional.

Back
Top Bottom