Closet conversion!

liljoe

Hey all, i am new to here da names liljoe and am definately an avid tokerfor about 12 yrs now:smokin: . lookin to set up shop in my newly gutted closet in my apartment, measures 4' 11" across 7' high and 2' deep what can i do i really want to grow some good bud. I have 5 ak 47 seeds i have been itchin to grow. I grew i plant in my apartment before with little sucsess and am lookin for any advice.:cheesygrinsmiley: :bongrip:

O k now i am gettin a 400w hps to go in closet an need to know, ballast above the light or below? I am gettin conflictin stories an need some help i only got a week to deciede cause the two plants need some real light quick!!

the ballast puts off heat, i would put it outside of your room, that 400 watt hps bulb will put off alota heat, you are going to need proper ventelation also.

I can only put one vent in closet Where should I put it and won't the ballast make too much noise the closet is in the rooom i sleep in. I will hopefully have some pics in the next few days.Also the three plants i got are bout 7" and stems are skinny :hmmmm: i have to tie them or they fall over!:bong:

liljoe said:
I can only put one vent in closet Where should I put it
I'm not sure about balast noise sice I don't have an HPS (YET). Where do you plan on putting your single vent? Consider cutting small hole in the celing and venting to the crawl space is there is one. If you can't vent outside your appartment, you're going to have to have serious odor issues.
If your plants are falling over, you're lights are not close enough to them.

I can only vent into the room itself i realize it will smell and will have to deal with it somehow? The fan is a computer fan so dont think noise will be too bad, any noise reduction tips? The plants spent a day with little light and stretched!! What is the best temp to have room at I hear conflictin stories from friends and the book i got.

been a while but i finally got the plants under a 400 watt light and they are growin good want to post pics but dont know how some there almost done their fith week. Can someone tell me how to tell if they are girls or not?:hmmmm: :nomo:

lol. when u switch the light schedule to 12/12, if theyre females they will have little white hairs called pistols. if the are males there will be lil pollen sacks. they look like lil balls. i hope this helps.

hey thanks for replies i know the questions are basic sorry but thought someone might have trick or easy way to tell. the temp in my romm is between 25 and 27 celcius during the day and bout 20 at night. I love the door idea but prob won't be stayin here for long but the next place will do that for sure!!pics to come btw its my first grow so just extra edgy about the plants bear with me still a noob lol:allgood: :bongrip: :adore:

pot_013.jpg

I have a fan in the room, it gets fresh air from room window and have big osc fan that mimics the wind whatever that means. Stems are stretchy cause the first few days they had little light and stretched!!!

Hey liljoe- good idea coming here and partaking of some of the wisdom that is to be had here. I have never tried growing in an apt. But then again I am in Dubyuh's 'Murka and have only been to Canada while hiking in the Rockies at Waterton Lakes International Peace PK- Sweet!

My grow space is 2X7 feet and I have only grown 3 plants to the finish in 5 Gal Buckets. But I have done this several times with great results. You said you wouldn't be at the current location for very long, but you understand for best results you have to have 4 months of uninterupted growing to get the best result eh? The HPS ballast should be on the floor outside the grow room.
It emits a high pitched electronic noise that is not that loud, but I wouldn't want to have to sleep right next to it. I have wondered if anyone would notice the noise just by coming into the house. With some experience, it is pretty distinctive. The heat from the 400HPS can be pretty intense, and I have put off growing with it during the Summer for this reason. During the non Summer season, I have finished plants under the HPS without any active ventilation outside of opening the closet doors for several hours per day.
Now I have installed a vent fan in the ceiling of the room that vents into the attic space above. It is a small computer fan connected to a transformer that has variable voltage- 3-12V. It does wonders as far as getting rid of XS heat as well as getting rid of that cannabis smell.

Transplanting the babies into larger containers is critical to prevent them from becoming Root-bound. I usually transplant them into the 5 gal containers ASAP as I am not that concerned with growing a large # of plants. The next big problem I have run into is poor drainage. With the 5 Gal buckets- you have to drill plenty of holes and make sure to mix the soil with plenty of vermiculite or perlite to let the babies breath.

I finished using only compact flouros the first couple of times I grew. These do OK although of course they don't have the power of HPS. I still start using the CFL's for the first month or so and then it's HPS all the way.

I have not had many problems with pests except for the little bastards called fungus gnats. These feast on the roots but do not seem to do significant damage to the plants themselves. I use rolls of fly paper to catch the adults.

These are very tolerant and vigorous plants. If you have enough time and give them enough light- chances are they will explode! And your world will be full of THC! --Alan

Back
Top Bottom