CO2 Carbonated Water

Toaor

Hi everyone, I've read about using carbonated water sprayed on foliage for adding CO2 to the plants without the expensive set up.

I bought some water but would like to check with you guys who know a lot more than me, about the breakdown of the water.

Sodium 13.5mg
Magnesium 2.9mg
Calcium 28mg
Chloride 33mg
Sulphate 40.8
Nitrate <0.5mg

Is there anything above that is likely to harm my babies?

Thanks,
Toaor

You can follow my journal here (Self Growth Journal #1)

LOL, no I've read about it in several posts on here and other sites but there's been both positives and negatives.

I was just wondering if the Sodium content or Chloride would do any damage as my bablies are doing well 9 days into flowering, check the journal for pics.

Toaor

What I do is just put a bunch of sugar and brewers yeast or bread yeast and warm water into a two liter bottle and punch a hole in the lid for a piece of airline tubing. Then i run that tubing into another bottle with a bunch of holes cut or melted in the top with just water in it and set it up to where it bubbles Co2 out the bottom of the end of the tube 1 bubble at a time. This is basically a CO2 generator with an airlock to keep the smell of the fermenting alcohol out so it doesn't stink and the alcohol ferments better. When the yeast eats all the sugar and no more CO2 is being produced I just add more sugar and yeast and warm water. Cheapest CO2 generator I've come across and it actually works. As far as spraying carbonated water on the plants that sounds like a bunch of bs to me.

Hey Growing247, thanks for the input, I've actually got a 2 liter bottle with bakers yeast, sugar and water in with them right now, only been in since yesterday though but not quite the set up you've mentioned mines is just the bottle with a tissue over the op top stop any nasties coming out.

I've also bought an aerosol can of CO2 100 liters apparently although it feels like the can is empty it's not. I've just given it a blast every now and then throughout the day and shut the door.

I thought the carbonated water sounded BS too but if you search the forums there's quite few results on it with as usual good and bad reviews.

All the best, Toaor

Self Growth Journal #1

White Widow, Aeroponic, Canna Aqua & Flores, Rhizotonic, 120W LED Panel, Bloombastic

Figure out a way to exchange the air in the grow room using an exhaust fan and keep a fan blowing under the plants or over them not directly on them and you shouldn't need any CO2 and they will grow fine. I like to lollipop the plants by chopping the bottom 3 or 4 branches (they usually produce shite for good buds anyway because they are so far from the light) and it let's more air get underneath and it seems to help quite a bit.

I have an extractor fan in there it goes on at the same time as my nutrient sprays about 5-15 every hour. There's also a small fan circulating the air but again I don't have it on all the time.

I did actually pickoff a few bottom leaves the other day but not loads just the first two I think.

I'm about to add two 225 LED light panel either side of the them so as bottom get some more light as I can't have main light too high to spread the coverage and get it bouncing off the mylar, I keep it less than 3" from tops so very little light gets below.

I've learned loads on this first attempt and am just waiting to get the results in another 4/5 weeks then I will be changing a few things, I have a new reservoir and plant box that fills the tiny space I have much better and plan on doing 6-9 plants that grow like rockets straight up, I don't want bushy haven't got room.

I let these go a little too long in vegging as the pH and heat was all over the place and way too high 37.7 degree nutrients but that was before I put extractor in.

All the best, Toaor

Hi everyone, I've read about using carbonated water sprayed on foliage for adding CO2 to the plants without the expensive set up.

I bought some water but would like to check with you guys who know a lot more than me, about the breakdown of the water.

Sodium 13.5mg
Magnesium 2.9mg
Calcium 28mg
Chloride 33mg
Sulphate 40.8
Nitrate <0.5mg

Is there anything above that is likely to harm my babies?

Thanks,
Toaor

You can follow my journal here (Self Growth Journal #1)

This is what I learned about CO2 and spraying the leaves. I too have read that its a cheap way to introduce the plants to CO2. But I also learned that its all made up. In order for it to really work you would have to spray the under part of the leaves. Thats where the leaves absorb CO2. So spraying the tops is a waste of time. Nobody said that this hobby would be cheap. Spend a few bucks and do it right.

Like someone said on another board somewhere using carbonated water probably isn't a good idea for foliage feeding, all is going to do is raise your humidity. I personally haven't tried anything with carbonated water but as I was drinking my VOSS I was wondering if plants would enjoy a sparkling water on occasion, so I Googled it and found...The Effect of Carbonated Water on Green Plants this is a link to a 10 day study on "Babys tears" (not cannabis).

I also personally plan on experimenting with the idea on a few different species of plants Including Marijuana this Summer so I will try to repost with my own experience at some point.

How to Water Flowers With Sparkling Water | Home Guides | SF Gate This is an article on watering your plant once a week with carbonated water.

I also found this "Conditions : Carbonated water will only work for plants that can grow moderately well in alkaline soil. Plants that are adapted to acidity will find the raise in pH levels considerably dangerous as their roots become unable to absorb nutrients and water. Alternating between flat water and carbonated can help to reduce the negative effects.

more about this was found here. The Effect of Carbonated Water on Plants | Garden Guides

So there you go, some information on adding sparkling water to your plants.... looks like it all comes down to the PH with this idea. I bet you could make it work to your advantage in the garden though.

Happy Gardening everyone, and remember a dirty hoe is a happy hoe!

Back
Top Bottom