Colorado Post Offices See Increase In Marijuana Packages

Status
Not open for further replies.

420 Warrior

To the employees at the Conifer post office, something about the outgoing package smelled funny.

The way the label was filled out seemed off. The addresses were funky. And then there was the odor emanating from it: The package reeked of marijuana.

A police drug-sniffing dog confirmed the suspicions on two incoming packages addressed to the return address on the outgoing parcel.

By the time U.S. postal inspectors knocked on Ian Mair's door last summer, after simply studying the outside of his mail, they had enough information to persuade Mair to show them his marijuana-growing operation, according to an asset-forfeiture filing in federal court.

Mair is scheduled to be arraigned next month in Jefferson County Court on charges of marijuana cultivation and possession.
These are busy times for postal inspectors in Colorado.
Investigators at the U.S. Postal Inspection Service in the state said that, anecdotally, they have seen a dramatic increase in the amount of marijuana people here are trying to mail out of the state.

That has been matched by an increase in the amount of drug money they have caught being mailed back into the state.

Some said they believe Colorado's medical-marijuana boom likely plays some
role, creating a legal system for growing marijuana that illicit pot-growers hope to hide behind. Under both state and federal laws, it is illegal to ship marijuana out of state.

"They're just going to try to blend into what they perceive as a more liberal environment," said Craig Goldberg, the acting assistant inspector in charge at the service's Denver office.

Nationwide, postal inspectors seized 31,000 pounds of illegal drugs during the fiscal year ending in June. That is down from nearly 38,000 pounds seized the year before.

Figures on the local increase in seizures are not readily available, Goldberg said. But inspectors have certainly been busy.

For instance, when north metro-area drug agents took down a large marijuana-growing ring last month, postal inspectors helped identify shipments of marijuana the ring allegedly sent out of state.

In other investigations, such as that of Mair, alert postal employees have initiated investigations by spotting, or smelling, suspicious packages.

So great is the number of marijuana mailings that the Postal Inspection Service in Colorado has created a separate process for dealing with packages suspected of containing only a small amount of drugs.

Those packages are routed to a "mail recovery center," putting the burden on their sender or recipient to come claim them, according to several search warrants filed in federal court.

Inspector Michael Nix, who leads a team of inspectors dedicated to finding drug shipments in Colorado, said his primary focus is on identifying and dismantling large distribution networks.
"Our goal is to put together criminal indictments," Nix said.

Despite the obvious risk of detection, sending drugs through the mail provides an arm's-length way for marijuana-growers to move drugs. Package tracking numbers offer the ability to keep an eye on the shipment.

But the practice places letter carriers in potential jeopardy, Goldberg said, because they end up unwittingly carrying around packages that could be targets for robbers.

"We have no desire for the Postal Service to be used to facilitate drug trafficking," he said. "We want to help get drugs out of the mail for the safety of our employees."

600_marijuana_110322.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Denver Post
Author: John Ingold
Copyright: 2012 The Denver Post Corp

["We have no desire for the Postal Service to be used to facilitate drug trafficking," he said. "We want to help get drugs out of the mail for the safety of our employees."]

The us postal service sends drugs everyday...............there called opiates. And we all know who the real big drug dealers are cough(merck,pfizer,glaxo-smith-kline). At least when shippin pot no could overdose from it. that's just my 2 cents.

I just a few days ago had a good email exchange with my governor about why it is taking so long to get our Compassionate MM Program actually producing and making it available. Out of respect to him, I cannot post here his answers and comments to me, but was surprised and happy he actually took the time to directly answer me and also forwarded my commentary on to the Commissioner of Health and Senior Services. So maybe there is some ray of hope, otherwise, I'm either moving to a state I can legally grow in, or moving to one where I can afford Really rural property and no one will know what I'm up to. My current living situation is living in a relatively small apartment building where growing myself is impossible, cops Always watching as there are many selling heroin and crack out of their apartments....

But back to the subject at hand, does anyone know of an herb, like pepper or cinnamon or others that may mask the smell? I often go into NYC through Penn Station, where there are cops and soldiers with dogs sniffing, and I do take a little herb with me now and again :) . Anyone have any advice about the bags being sold that claim they stop odor? And yes, I have gotten some primo shit often from the opposite coast, but no fool is using the postal service to send it here!

We have all lost sight of how far we have come. Enjoy your script and your plants!! Don't be stupid and take part in activities that could cause you to lose you script. I always said that if I could grow my own without the worry of arrest it would be awesome. Damn, life is awesome!! So lets all be thankful and enjoy the victories we have won and.... I know lets medicate!! Prescriptions can be withdrawn for any medication. Check it out and lets all be great-full!!!
:thumb:

It's a plant and was probably here before us. If not for prohibition it has no monetary value except what we put on it. :peace:

But back to the subject at hand, does anyone know of an herb, like pepper or cinnamon or others that may mask the smell? I often go into NYC through Penn Station, where there are cops and soldiers with dogs sniffing, and I do take a little herb with me now and again :) . Anyone have any advice about the bags being sold that claim they stop odor? And yes, I have gotten some primo shit often from the opposite coast, but no fool is using the postal service to send it here!

how much is "a little" cause ive walked through penn many times with a few grams on me and was fine those dogs are trained to sniff for explosives im pretty sure

Do you want me to show you what you can get from a 2x2 with a $60 hydro bucket and a 400w lamp (about $250 by time you get nutrients)...

Simple answer, you will be showing me how to get "25 to life"!

I honestly do wish it were as easy as just popping some seeds here but unless you are being held under a microscope by every "john law" that drives by you, like we are, I guess it could be a little hard to fathom what lengths people have to go through to get their meds in a "police state".

I push for the legalization of Cannabis for who ever want's it as long as they are an adult and I make no bones about that, so I'm personally not just all about the "only for medical use" aspect of it, but more for recreational use as well.

As it stands now, we are forced by our government to go through unsavory means of getting our herb in these states...for better or worse, that's what we are forced to do...No one wants it that way, it just is that way...understand?

I'm in no way advocating like that's the way it should be but more stating the reality of our situation here.

It just so happens though, I do personally know of someone who has a brain tumor, and has his meds shipped to him from guy in a legal MMJ state. So, should I be wanting him to rot as well? Or the "care giver" for sending it to him? Even though this guy is not a "card carrying patient" and living in a non-MMJ state? Does he not deserve the same meds that a legal MMJ patient gets?

I guess what I'm asking is? Is this "care giver" I speak of, who is sending meds to a brain tumor patient, now to be considered a "criminal trafficker" who should be sent to pack even one more over crowded prison and force everyone to have to pay even more taxes to feed/cloth and shelter him for the next 10 years?

Sorry, but I just cant support that idea personally. ;)

I'm not saying I advocate breaking the law, I'm saying the laws need to change so we don't have to...does that make sense?

Sorry... but retarded people like this deserve what happens. It is one thing to mail to a friend or small amounts and insure it does not smell but to throw caution to the wind is something entirely different. Hope he can get out of this one and wishing him luck.

Jakester, very well said!!! I bet when you were growing more than a decade ago no one really knew. My point was simple. Why are people being so stupid, sending pot thru the US Postal System? I admit smoking some from the Islands and I wasn't there, small gift basket from friends 3-5 g. Come on now, let's not try and start a pot war during an election year!! Let them have the gas war, and while they are counting their money we can pass some more states. There is security in numbers, we are nearing half the states in the US allowing medical pot. Things were going great here in Cali and it was basically being shoved into the mainstreams face that brought about the feds using property forfeiture to close collectives. In my opinion, with a few other failures. We need to work together and elect someone that will help us. You decide. Vote Ron Paul. lol

"The 420 Magazine community exists to support the repeal of all Cannabis prohibition laws and penalties throughout the world. Not another person should suffer incarceration or stigma because of these unjust laws."

That's what keeps me going and why I'm here! :bravo:

Personally, I don't really care if someone is making a million dollars a year from selling herb, as long as someone in need is getting them, even if those in need are just needing to take the edge off their day after work. And better yet, I certainly prefer that "someone" making that money from growing/selling herb, to be an average, hard working American, than a cartel member, that will kill people to get those inadequate dank herbs here.

It's just a shame that those American grown herbs are like $120 per 1/4 oz. though, because that is forcing the average working stiff to buy foreign, "blood money MJ" for like $25 per 1/4 oz. instead, because of the cost factor of those MMJ state meds being so outrageously priced!

If you guys really want to put a hurting on the cartels, you have got to compete with their prices, instead of jacking your prices up so high that only the rich can afford them! Does that make sense?

Simply put, it's 10 times easier to come up with $25, than it is to come up with $120, for most people. I would love to always smoke "legit" killer buds over "dank" Mex any day, but y'all are just way too proud of it, to sell it to poor people...IMO!

That's right, just price gouge the hell out of everyone...That's real "care giving" for ya' right there! That will also make those cartels back off and take their business else where!...Um, NOT!

Now, this pricing analogy was not pointing the finger at anyone in particular so, no one jump on my butt..ok? I know there are some good seeds out there helping people at little, to no charge so...Bless your heart, if that's the case. :thanks:

420 You don't just live in the wrong state, bad pot laws, you need better friends. The friends price out here in N. Cali has been $100-125 an oz for more than a decade. I was paying 90-110 an oz in 83-86 in N. Carolina. When you are a friendly and nice person that is the type you will usually attract. Where are your cool friends? There has to be some stoner hillbillies out there, they had'em in N. Carolina. Find them and you found the bud.

420 You don't just live in the wrong state, bad pot laws, you need better friends. The friends price out here in N. Cali has been $100-125 an oz for more than a decade. I was paying 90-110 an oz in 83-86 in N. Carolina. When you are a friendly and nice person that is the type you will usually attract. Where are your cool friends? There has to be some stoner hillbillies out there, they had'em in N. Carolina. Find them and you found the bud.

Yea, that's about the going rate for "mids" here and has been for years. ;)

Sorry, but your "Hilbilly" remark is truly offensive! Too much TV, I guess?...Don't believe everything you see on TV and then make assumptions about our way of life, please!

And I seriously doubt you are only paying $100-$125 per OZ of "GDP"...even in Cali!? And if you are, I think most anyone here would be envious of your good fortune!

If anyone expects me to look my little boy in the eyes and tell him I'm moving 2000 miles away from him, they are sadly mistaken, because it takes a real dirt bag to abandon their kid(s)! It ain't happening here! For ANY reason, up to and including "semi legal" Marijuana! Any good parent should understand that. ;)

Another thing, changing the laws in states like mine is my mission, not just running off to where it's safe and cozy and being happy with that. What good does it do to change the laws in GA, if I'm in Cali? How does this help the mission?

So, enjoy your safe little word, while I'm out here on the front lines, trying to make the rest of the country understand what injustice is like, ok?

Here's a novel idea...Maybe you should entertain the idea of helping the cause, instead of dogging out the people who are really trying to make a difference...How about jumping on the team and help bring it in for the "Big Win"? Cool?

I think the PO's position here is hysterical and ridiculous. "Protection of the postal carriers" my ass.

They probably have "make the weed disappear" parties.

Who is a drug trafficker? Aunt May? I have one like her.

I appreciate Jakester's point, it just went too far.

I don't buy or medicate with Mexican blood dope. No one should. Everyone agrees cannabis should be legalized. Even Pat Robertson.

Let's work together to make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom