Companion Planting

What flowers, vegetables, or fruits make the best companion plants for MJ?

Peppers? Interesting.

They used to grow it in the corn but finally realized that by the time the choppers were out looking it was bigger than the 8'+ corn (and still quite green when the corn was goners). I always figured that was for camouflage rather than as a symbiotic relationship.

I know that planting lots of onions, garlic, and certain types of marigolds act as insect deterrents.

And a DENSE border of onions will keep rabbits away from plants unless they are starving.

Starving animals will do what they've got to do - I once saw a deer eating a fish.

Unfortunately (I love lemons, eat them with a little salt) most fruit trees - other than apple and plum - aren't suited to the climate around here.

So far I've got:

• Plant onions spaced 3" apart as a border to deter many insects and some animals such as rabbits.
  • Plant a little garlic here and there for the same reasons.
  • Plant some species of Marigolds (can't remember exactly but I think some "Mexican" varieties and one called Lulu) for their natural pesticide (pyrethrum).
Also, I have heard that basil is one herb that seems to benefit many plants by causing them to produce more/better terpines, making those plants' "fruits" smell/taste better. I don't really like the scent of generic basil but have recently found Thai basil. It's got an interesting smell. I know that it is VERY helpful for some plants, but bad for a few. I may take a chance and recommend that people try interplanting it.

Anyone else? Although I appreciate the mention of tropical & subtropical fruit trees for the sake of the thread topic - and for the fact that it will help others planting outside - I am in a more northerly climate. Think "Indiana."

I am mainly looking for (northerly) fruit (bushes), herbs, and vegetables. The reason is that some folks that I know wish to try to plant a single MJ plant or two among their regular vegetable/herb garden crops (I assume they will either stake them down and LST the crap out of them or have them in buried buckets to restrict growth / plant size). There is a lot of information as to which plants are "companions" to each other, either providing a service such as causing the plant in question to grow more robustly, have better/larger/tastier fruit, to repel insects that are known to attack it, or even to attract insects that can cause damage to it so that they will leave it alone, etc. And of course there are also lots of references as to which plants you should NOT "companion" with the accepted garden crops such as tomatoes, peppers, etc. But not, apparently, for MJ.

C'mon folks, it's Spring and the outdoor planters are in action! Ask everyone you know (especially the "old farts" lol) if they have any additional recommendations & cautions (on what to NOT plant with MJ). There is much more to having the best and healthiest plants than just water, sun, and fertilizer! The native Americans had it figured out with the three sisters thing (corn, beans, and squash) and with other crops and many other "native" peoples have done the same with crops that they have grown throughout their history. We ought to be able to figure out something for MJ.

Hmm... There's a thought: Is anyone still in communication with people that have long grown landrace strains in places like India, the rest of the Hindu Kush region, Jamaica, South Africa, Brazil, Columbia, or... almost anywhere that people have grown MJ for generations? Ask them!

:thanks:Thanks!:thanks:

native americans used to plant tobaco with their crops to keep bugs away. another plant i love to grow around are those thorn bushes, plants in the middle of a patch are almost guranteed to grow until harvest.

lol nice i know where i can get loads or briars in teh woods.

I saw a report of deer eating only the heads of birds.. The island had a nutrient deficiency and the deer stomped sleeping ground pidgeons and ate only the heads..... look it up im not lieing

native americans used to plant tobaco with their crops to keep bugs away. another plant i love to grow around are those thorn bushes, plants in the middle of a patch are almost guranteed to grow until harvest.

I have some concerns about tobacco mosaic virus.

Yeah, my buddy likes to plant in the middle of those briar bushes that you can't even see the sun through so people will have less chance of spotting it - or of getting to it when they smell it lol.

Only problem is, his plants can't really see the sun through them either. If he sinks five plants and gets an ounce and a half total it's a good year for him. WtF?

Yeah, me too. When I was a kid my Dad used to say that I was the only person he knew that could get their clothes torn with briars (and all muddy) by crossing a blacktop road lmao. And make enough noise to scare every edible animal within a mile off in the process.

I saw a report of deer eating only the heads of birds.. The island had a nutrient deficiency and the deer stomped sleeping ground pidgeons and ate only the heads..... look it up im not lieing

That's too cool! I've always hated child molesters, thieves, and pigeons.

Sorry, hasn't been the best evening. It finally stopped raining but I can't plant veggies when it's pitch dark outside. The neighbors already think I'm passing strange lmao.

i saw a turtle eating a pigeon

Grapes, Sunflowers, Climbing beans (take 2 poles and some twine, go back and forth with the twine to give the beans something easy and cheap to climb up).

hmm here's an idea grow some squash (or something like it) in a raised container and train it to grow over your deer proof high fence or just some twine tied to two poles again. The vegitables that grow will grow suspended and ripen off the ground away from the water.

Fuck I think this is a good idea. We'll see when I wake up. ha ha. sometimes stoned ideas aren't so great in the morning.

You could get them bamboo fence deals to put around your garden, they're like 6' tall or 8'. If you have a deer problem, then your neighbors should know that you're deer proofing your garden. Especially if you have a real garden in there too. This could be costly if you're broke they run like 35-40 here for 16' length i think.

Tortured,
A trick I used with great sucess in my years of outdoor growing was to provide the deer with an alternative food source that they like more. I would plant clover near, but not right on top of the plants. Corn thrown on the ground or dispensed from feeders is also another tactic we employed with great sucess. The real trick is knowing what the deer in your area are feeding on. What works for me in the SE US may not work for someone in Wisconsin, for example. Deer diets vary widely during the year, and is extremely variable in the prime growing months between April and October. If you are not a deer hunter like me, find someone who is and question them on the diet of deer in your area. If they are worth their salt as a hunter they will know for sure what the deer are keying in on, and won't miss a chance to show off their knowledge.

The nice thing about tracking deer eating habits is that they mirror all other "pest" species...i.e. rabbits etc...All of them are looking for essentially the same nutrients, and deer are very easy to key in on due to their size. A feeding deer will leave sign...tracks, droppings and during the later part of the growing season, scrapes and rubs. If you happen to have wild pigs in your area...your screwed...lol.

Not sure of the climate differences but maybe Cuban Oregano? It's nothing like regular oregano. Gets real shrubby and the leaves are very thick, broad and moist. They steadily drop leaves year-round that are still moist and fresh. Provides great organics back to the nearby soil.
Also, citronella plants are awesome for pest prevention.
And they both smell delightful!

Back
Top Bottom