Outdoor Grows: Companion Planting

SuperFunker

I have not yet seen a post that discusses the possibility of adding companion plants to a Cannabis grow.

Does anyone have experience with incorporating companion plants among Cannabis?

Are there some plants that will mitigate insect issues?

Are there some plants that may improve soil conditions?

Are there some plants that may enhance flavor?

Conversely, are there some plants that will have a detrimental effect on Cannabis; thus, should be avoided?

thanks jj... good link for conventional crops... seems that the exploration of cannabis companion planting might be fertile ground for serious research...

I don't know if there was any benefits, however I grew my plants alongside some thai pepper plants. I think it helped with the insects....just my opinion. But watch out when feeding. I gave two of my prize pepper plants a dose of the same feed (not thinking) while watering and all the leaves fell off. I flushed and they came back, but it for sure nuked them.

Haha nice Mendo.

I got some Thai Basil and Thai chilis growing too. They are beast and are right next to my Juicy fruit plants.

Im sure rosemary close to weed could help deter bugs.

Might want to look into the use of Marigolds which have a pretty long documented history of benifical properties :thumb:

Another suggestion would to grow plenty of flowers as to attract benifical insects to your garden !

Really old school gardening tricks some of the above...

since a teenager I heard that yarrow improved the potency if planted as a companion, I never did test it.
growing mycorrhizae is clearly a tried and tested symbiotic relationship, bee and butterfly style mixed flowers are generally nice to have around and even some weeds in the verges, it all combines with mycorrhizae into one big organism.
Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium and Chrysanthemum coccineum both produce a natural pesticide Pyrethrum which may kill off local sap eaters and you can probably dry the flowers and powder them into a water feed for the MJ plants to pass on those benefits.

since a teenager I heard that yarrow improved the potency if planted as a companion, I never did test it.
growing mycorrhizae is clearly a tried and tested symbiotic relationship, bee and butterfly style mixed flowers are generally nice to have around and even some weeds in the verges, it all combines with mycorrhizae into one big organism.
Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium and Chrysanthemum coccineum both produce a natural pesticide Pyrethrum which may kill off local sap eaters and you can probably dry the flowers and powder them into a water feed for the MJ plants to pass on those benefits.

I gottta disagree on the butterfly flowers. Unless its Chrysanthemum daisies. Having flowers that attract butterflys or moths is just making problems worse by helping to breed and invite caterpillars into your area.

Possibly Chrysanthemum Daisies would be ok since they have pyrethrum inside. Around here the main pests i see is butterflys and spider mites. Believe me ya dont wanna just invite butterflys to the yard if your growing weed.

I gottta disagree on the butterfly flowers. Unless its Chrysanthemum daisies. Having flowers that attract butterflys or moths is just making problems worse by helping to breed and invite caterpillars into your area.

Possibly Chrysanthemum Daisies would be ok since they have pyrethrum inside. Around here the main pests i see is butterflys and spider mites. Believe me ya dont wanna just invite butterflys to the yard if your growing weed.

that's a very good point that I hadn't considered, for myself im willing to make adaptations, a discerning English gardener has to consider bees and butterflies as much as personal gain. ill just fleece my plants or even keep them in a greenhouse, but still attached to the rest of the garden underground. I expect im probably going to have to do this anyway because of the aroma :rofl:

I find that unless you rub or touch the plants here they dont really smell.

Could not say why but i have found that to be the case this year and last.

Possibly its the low humidity?

Either way I am very happy that for some reason none of my plants ever smell.

I mean i can go into my greenhouse, be surrounded by plants (some of which have buds too) and not smell weed smells at all. It is crazy.

I can smell crisp fresh air from the oxygen and i smell a bit of plant smells but no weed smells.

Its gotta be something with the growing conditions, i just dont know what.

its been the same story with around 10 or so different strains.

Although in week 11 and 12 with the pr og that did have a slight smell even when undisturbed.

But ive grown:

Purple Kush
private resevre og
Chemdawg
Deep sleep
juicy fruit
jack herrer x g13
NYCD
skywalker OG
blueberry x northern lights
GDP

Never had any really smell unless i touched them or sprayed them with a hose or such. But if they were left alone never really smelled.

Yeah man i got a few chemdawgs that are flowering early, really crystally and ok sized buds for being prebuds. But you can seriously put your nose 1 inch away and smell and you wont smell anything.

However if you rub a bud or a sugar leaf then WOAH all hell breaks lose and you can smell it super strong.

Thats how last year was too. Only at week 7 or 8 did they smell enough without disturbing them where i could smell them from a distance.

They have a sorta blueberry like smell when flowering, but the smell changes to a more dankish smell when curing and drying. The fruity blueberry smell dosent smell much like weed imo so thats good.

Maybe its how i feed, but its probably something to do with my envioroment. Super low humidity, very windy.

syrup auto-flower indoors and noticed a slight smell from as early as the second week... it is definitely a cannabis smell, but if you have weak sniffer and/or are not too familiar with cannabis, you might think it smelled like a mint plant... i too try not to touch the plant cause it does amplify the scent... :D

Back
Top Bottom