Complete noob when it comes to soil. need your help!

Eros770

Hi guys,

I'm about to start my first grow. I have done hours and hours of reading and have learned quite a bit. However when it comes to actually growing any type of plant I am a complete noob.

I went to home depot and looked at some soils but didn't know anything about the subject at the time.

They didn't have much of a choice. The main soil they had was Scotts potting soil. I didn't write down much about the soil but i do remember most of the options read that they would feed the plant for up to 3 months or so. Does this mean it has time release nute.? I know that it isn't good to get time release soil.

If anyone can please help me out with differant types of soils i could possibly use and where they might sell these types of soils.

Re: Complete noob when it comes to soil...need your help!!!

save ur money and get some foxs farm soil.. try to stay away from time release soil.. i'v never used time release soil,but it can be done..:goodluck:

first off: thank you for responding!!!

second: I've heard of Foxfarm but i have no idea where to buy it or what to mix with it. Can you help?

depends where you are located

your average hardware store will not have fox farms
you need to find a hydroponic or gardening store locally in your city or located within a reasonable distance in which you are willing to travel

also ff happy frog is better for cuttings/ baby clones and ocean forest is better for more mature plants around 3 weeks or so, it will feed for the first 3 months

and ocean forest is a good medium all by itself, no need for mixing in anything unless of course for some reason you need to add perlite/vermiculite to loosten it up a bit but it should be ok

Sweet, thanks dude. I live in NY there's a hydro store like 3 mins from my house. Any idea how much foxfarm runs? or how much the other ones are?

Do you mix anything with foxfarm? or is it good to go out of the bag?

i think its like 20-25 a bag, and as i said before, it is good all on its own but if you run into drainage issues in your soil from buildup or something (you shouldnt) then it would be necessary to add something too loosten up the soil a bit, but i have never added anything to fox farms soil until it was time for flowering

Thanks a lot man you've been a big help!!!!

stay safe!!!

I have been an avid user of FFOF. I can make a few recommendations. For each 1.5 cubic foot bag of FFOF, add 1 gallon of perlite and 3 cups of powdered dolomite lime. I find that the FFOF needs better drainage/aeration, hence the perlite. The lime is the magic....maintains good ph stability (very important) and provides all necessary cal/mag needed for the grow. If you want to see the results, click on the Nug of the Month (NOTM) in my signature.....

Eros, i hope that ^^^^ helps you out
i personally have never had to add annything to ffof but i did suggest the perlite if need be, everyone has diff experiences

Am a complete noob to soil as well.. I bought the cheapest fox farm soil there was.. (Fox Farm original organic) cost me 14 bucks for 12 quarts and my clones just love it. Ofcourse I have to add nutrients for the plant so I bought Fox farm soil nutrients 3 quarts.. that was more expensive, 45 bucks but well worth it.

Thanks everyone!!!

I'm def guna get the perlite to add to the FFOF. i want to make sure there is optimal root growth. I'm guna have to do more research on the nutes to use in each stage of the grow.

On a side note: This site ROCKS!!!! everyone gets along so well and they are very into helping new growers. I love what this site is doing and the people who are doing it.

thanks again!!! And stay safe!!!

also do not forget the dolomite lime recommended by hogdaddy, that shit is definately a must

Hello everyone! Greetings and well met.

I know that this is a somewhat older thread but maybe someone will join in and help!
I have been a traditional gardener for about 8 years now, it has been within the last three months that I have changed my view on the legality of MJ. I now do believe that it should be legal...although I do not see that happening since it is now "ILLEGAL" for someone to grow veggies in a home garden. Yes you heard right the Dept of Fatherland...err I mean homeland security (?) see's me as a threat to national security!

This is what actually pushed me to my current view on MJ by the way. As a noob MJ grower, I started some sativa germination this morning so I am very excited to be sure. I will be having plenty of questions about this new growing endeavor. My expertise (if it can be called that) is in veggies and my beloved roses (Sorry I have a serious thing for roses) unfortunately so do the neighborhood cats, squirrels and birds for my veggies. This is why I am converting the back 25% of my goodly sized garage into a greenhouse.

So why not put this new greenhouse to good effect right? :hmmmm:

I think I have the light and venting thing down pretty much (I think) but what about soil and or treatments if any? This may be my weak link in the process I live in Central/Eastern New Mexico. My area is cattle oriented and of course the 'traditional' garden. So I think I should be able to get pretty much what I need for the soil...I just need to know exactly what. In the next month I do hope to E order some sweet seed...I would love to try the White Widow by the way...lol

If there going to attempt to raid and arrest me for growing the best and most bad ass salsa garden around then I might as well go big, err I mean grow big lol!

Anyone who would be willing to lend some pointers to an old play in the dirt man would be jolly well grand! I am looking forward to starting up new friendships and hopefully sharing some greaat photo's with you brothers and sisters.

A pox upon the NWO and their goons that run our Government regardless of party!

HIS humble privateer...Captkilt

also do not forget the dolomite lime recommended by hogdaddy, that shit is definately a must

^^^^^^THAT^^^^^^

Most people don't and more often than not, run into problems because they didn't.

DD

Back
Top Bottom