Cool tube or no cool tube?

DSXJ

I have a tent size of 4x2x5' and will be exhausting into a carbon filter.

My issue is to decide if I want to spend the extra $$ on the cool tube or not. I dont think the heat will get extreme because come the next 2-3 months I'll see temperatures outside of -10 to -40c.

Curious ...

Thanks for your 2 cents !

While pricing the cool tubes which I like, check out air cooled hoods. You'll have enough room in your tent and they provide a much better footprint. A few dollars more upfront but much worth it. Check out the blockbuster

I have a tent size of 4x2x5' and will be exhausting into a carbon filter.

My issue is to decide if I want to spend the extra $$ on the cool tube or not. I dont think the heat will get extreme because come the next 2-3 months I'll see temperatures outside of -10 to -40c.

Curious ...

Thanks for your 2 cents !

i found that running a 400 watt in a 4x4x5.5 tent open hood, got too hot. had to run a cool tube.

however the EXACT same setup( same light, fan, filter etc) when moved into the 4x3x8 tent. had no issues what-so-ever with open hood.

IMO height is your biggest enemy when it comes to dealing with heat.

disclaimer - i might have been having issues with my intake as well, might not have been big enough when in the smaller tent. (was 3x 6" intakes to my 1x 6" exhaust. still had a decent amount of negative pressure, probably could have went with 5 intakes and still been fine - in hindsight (the bigger tent had a 18"x24" rectangle intake)

Wouldn't think an additional 8 square feet would be able to dissipate the negative heat of the open reflector every thing being equal. Same external seasonal temps?

i found that running a 400 watt in a 4x4x5.5 tent open hood, got too hot. had to run a cool tube.

however the EXACT same setup( same light, fan, filter etc) when moved into the 4x3x8 tent. had no issues what-so-ever with open hood.

IMO height is your biggest enemy when it comes to dealing with heat.

disclaimer - i might have been having issues with my intake as well, might not have been big enough when in the smaller tent. (was 3x 6" intakes to my 1x 6" exhaust. still had a decent amount of negative pressure, probably could have went with 5 intakes and still been fine - in hindsight (the bigger tent had a 18"x24" rectangle intake)

same external temps. my untested theory on it was either

a) taller ceiling allowed for hot air to rise higher and allow the exhaust to pull hotter air out thus making it cool faster
b) the intake was more suited for the exhaust and it was running more efficient.

but i could be wrong.

i have the 400 running open right now too, but now its in a 10x10x8 :p not having heat issues at all ;) haha

I realize that my situation does not compare respectively, however I think the principles are the same. I have a 4" passive inlet to my flower room (16"x30"x5'), on the ceiling of that is a 4" hole with a 110CFM PC Fan to an unused veg room (16"x30"x2') then to the final 4" hole with another 110CFM PC fan, then through my DIY carbon filter. Only using 6 20watt CFLs and a 2' T5 light, heat isn't my biggest concern, but if left unchecked it can build up pretty quick in that little space. I'm thinking that the more space above a light, the better because hot air off the bulbs rises and mixes with ambient air which treats it (even if only minimally). So if your exhaust is sucking the hottest air off the top with a barrier of warm air (because it's heavier than hot air) between, the coolest air down by your plants would be easier maintained b/c of the high ceiling. Just my thoughts, maybe I'm over thinking as I do with everything.

I realize that my situation does not compare respectively, however I think the principles are the same. I have a 4" passive inlet to my flower room (16"x30"x5'), on the ceiling of that is a 4" hole with a 110CFM PC Fan to an unused veg room (16"x30"x2') then to the final 4" hole with another 110CFM PC fan, then through my DIY carbon filter. Only using 6 20watt CFLs and a 2' T5 light, heat isn't my biggest concern, but if left unchecked it can build up pretty quick in that little space. I'm thinking that the more space above a light, the better because hot air off the bulbs rises and mixes with ambient air which treats it (even if only minimally). So if your exhaust is sucking the hottest air off the top with a barrier of warm air (because it's heavier than hot air) between, the coolest air down by your plants would be easier maintained b/c of the high ceiling. Just my thoughts, maybe I'm over thinking as I do with everything.

thats my thoughts too. could be wrong.

anyways incase its lost in my rants. i suggest air cooled hood for that tent DSXJ, with an air cooled hood, you can pull the glass off, run it. and if it gets too hot. just put the glass back in. then you know for sure, and will save you the extra purchase down the road if you want to go with a bigger light, or smaller space.

my 2 cents :)

Not to mention that you might not be in a small tent forever so the bigger hood might serve as the wiser purchase.

Back
Top Bottom