Curing - Ideal RH?

elamigoverde

I have heard the ideal RH is about 62%

Last night I was afraid I had over dried my crop but after jarring them and placing the guage inside, I see I am at 66% as of this morning.

Should I continue to "burp" the jars or am I at a dry enough stage to keep them closed and let the nugs do their thing?

I'd hate to mess them up and it appers they are in the money zone already

Thank you

Great job getting this far!

Keep em shut. 62-65% is ideal. In my part of the world I don't get it much lower than 70%

So keep em shut and just keep vigilant and watch for moisture or any crazy jump in % on the gauge.

Best of luck. And don't forget to do a strain report so we know what to expect!!

elamigoverde,
I am currently curing myself and I am happy to report my jars are reading 66% RH as well! We are on our way to some real good dank my dood!

Shout out to Pigeons420 for the wisdom!
:Namaste:

Thanks so much for the replies! When I returned from work today they werre up tp 73% so I put all the nugs in a paperbag and I will leave them in it for 6-10 hours and jar them again. This is what I have been advised to do by my friends who also grow.

Does that sound right?

You listen to people you care about and trust.

There are always conflicting opinions about all aspects of growing. I can only advice you with what I believe passionately about and that's it.

With that said, I disagree with the advice. The idea of curing cannabis is that you are slowing the drying process. By letting he bud dry out rapidly to 65% isn't the best idea. I would burp the jars for 30-40 minutes rather then dumping them out and putting them back. The more you manipulate your herb the more you degrade the THC with the oils on your hands.

If the humidity has jumped 3% in 12 hours. Then only burp ever 24 hours. In about 3 days of that you'll be fine to berp once a week. Until you reach 62-65%

Hope that helps. I wish you the best whichever way you choose. I'm sure your herb is already better then most of the stuff you find on the street.

:high-five:

Gosh, you're too kind Stage!

Thanks for that!

Pigeons420,
My dude you are indeed welcome.
Truth be told I was going to take them out and lay they on cardboard for an hr or so just as the op stated.
My jars are showing 66% RH and Im going to leave them alone and adhere to your suggestions.:thumb:

Thanks you guys

Here is a link to my journal for the grow I am now curing. When Should I Transplant This Little Lady?

I just started a new crop this morning:

Martian Candy Hybrid - Round 2 - My Second Run

First-Day-9_26_2015_2.jpg

With that said, I disagree with the advice. The idea of curing cannabis is that you are slowing the drying process. By letting he bud dry out rapidly to 65% isn't the best idea. I would burp the jars for 30-40 minutes rather then dumping them out and putting them back. The more you manipulate your herbs the more you degrade the THC with the oils on your hands.

At what RH would you paper bag it or leave the jar open? If 70% is ok to leave in the jar at what point is too high? Obviously the risk of mold increases with RH but I've been thinking I need to dry it to 65% and then jar it. So your saying we can dry it to like 75-80% and let the rest sweat out until it gets down to 62? Just trying to get my curing/drying technique down.

Great question!

I don't paper bag anything. I dry for 3-7 days or until the stem snaps (but before it breaks off). Then it's straight to the jars. For the first couple days the humidity will sky rocket. So I take the buds out of the jar twice a day and spread them out evenly on a clean table for about an hour or so. Sometime 2 or 3 hours. Then re jar them. I do this for about 3 or so days. After that it's all about slowly getting the humidity to your desired percent. I prefer a 65-70% humidity in my jar before I leave them for long time storage.

The whole idea is to take your time dry/curing. The longer the better. So don't rapid dry to 65% then keep it there. Because you ultimately defeat the purpose of curing.

Great question bud I hope you conquer the curing process, from your question I can tell you're on the right track!

Boveda Humidipack 62% will keep the RH in the optimum range and if you have too dry buds it can help to re-moist them.

Those Boveda packs are a great resource to have! I do not have them and have only relied on the humidity gauges to measure moisture content. They work good but they're cheap and not as reliable as the packs!

Thanks Purple!

Back
Top Bottom