Day Before Re-vote, Mayor's E-mail Says 'Potheads' Have Had Their Say

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
EL PASO, Texas -- City Council is poised to re-vote Tuesday on a drug war resolution that includes the controversial request for an open and honest debate on the prohibition of drugs.

Mayor John Cook quickly vetoed the resolution after city Rep. Beto O'Rourke added that request at the last minute.

Monday, an e-mail from the mayor surfaced, urging those who are against the resolution to make sure they are heard, because "the pot heads" have sent their message.

ABC-7 obtained an excerpt from the mayor's e-mail, which was sent to Margie Velez, the former office manager for former Senator Phil Gramm in El Paso.

It states: "I can tell you that all the pot heads have sent their e-mails and they are encouraging the reps to stand by their decision. But why does the silent majority remain silent? We have certainly attracted attention to our city, but I don't think the attention is positive."

Cook told ABC-7 the e-mail was private and not meant to be forwarded to others. "Specifically, I was referring to one individual who happened to write an e-mail to me saying that he's been smoking pot for over twenty years and he thinks we should legalize marijuana in the United States ... So if calling that person a pot head is insulting to him, then I apologize."

O'Rourke had this to say about Cook's remarks in the e-mail: "I'm sure the mayor probably didn't mean for everyone to read this, but I was concerned that anyone who might support having a national open discussion on our best options in the drug war would be described as a pothead."

The vote to override Mayor Cook's veto of the resolution on the drug war in Juarez is scheduled for Tuesday.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: KVIA
Author: Annette Arrigucci
Copyright: 2009 WorldNow and KVIA
Contact: KVIA.com El Paso, Las Cruces - Weather, News, Sports - Home
Website: KVIA.com El Paso, Las Cruces - Weather, News, Sports - Day before re-vote, mayor's e-mail says 'potheads' have had say

The same silent majority that has a glass or two or three of wine/beer in the evening to unwind after work? Does that make them grape and hops heads? :laughtwo:

Nice to know what this elected official thinks of 20% of his constiuency

Cannabis consumers and fat people - the last two groups some feel semi-ok to demean in polite company

Please let this vote go through, its crazy that one person can veto a vote of a town. Come on city of El paso get this sensible policy into action!

Back
Top Bottom