Dead seeds and dying sprouts

Irish Joe

:byebye: I am looking for some advice if you have the time, basically out of 10 seeds that I had left, 4 failed to germinate after 12 days, a further 6 sprouted and ALL DIED before a week old, the sprout's just stand up for a couple of days then fall over and after I help them upright the 2 round leafs and the tiny little plant leaves just curl up and die, any suggestions? the set up, the soil, the lighting etc is all the same, It has me baffeled, today I put 2 seeds into paper towels to germinate so if this fails I will have to reorder some seeds:thanks: for any help.

Hello,

I'm still new in germinating seeds, but in my country the only seeds I get is the seeds that came with the packaging.

I think my only difference in yours is rice water, we eat rice everyday as our main diet.

Alternately we will eat shrimps and the water too went to the plant. Thanks to my nature loving mother.

It worked even on our curry & mint leaves.

sounds like they are selling you bad seeds ... not a very good seed bank esecially if they have a bad attitude after all if your growing illegally what do they need to worry about ... having said that you should make sure that you temperatures ect are ok make sure they arnt given any neuts at all until 2 - 4 weeks old make sure you dont over water also! a tip to help with germination try cracking open the shell only slightly (a little slit) on the seed this will (from all the seeds ive done) garrentee 100% germination ive had just recently 6 seeds germinate out of 6 seeds where as a little while ago i had to try 15 just to get 1 (but then i was just using wild random seeds)

when i germ with paper towels, i always use a gladware top, followed by 1 piece of paper towel folded in half twice about 8-10 seeds then another piece of paper towel folded in half twice. I run the hot water till is nice but not to hot, then close my sink drain and let it fill up about 2'', then i put the 2 pieces of paper towel in the sink to get nice n toasty(about 10 sec). Then i pull one out, wring out excess, fold, put seeds spaced out, then do same with other piece. I then put the top, towels, and seeds in the sink to float for about 15 min with the lights off(make sure u put the 'seed sandwich' on the indented side of the top so it will float)... put it somewhere dark and between 70-85 degress... check everyday, and repeat "warm water" technique everyday...
Ive sprouted seeds 3-4 yrs old this way....

SPOTLIGHTS ARE HOT HOT, will kill seedlings in mere minutes... get rid of them and buy a few 45w cfl @ 4100k

or your soil is too rich...( i had this problem and lost 9 of 10 AK-47 seedlings, worst thing is i recorded their first 10 days of life with my web cam... 24-7 aka watch them all but 1 die)

good luck

:byebye: I am looking for some advice if you have the time, basically out of 10 seeds that I had left, 4 failed to germinate after 12 days, a further 6 sprouted and ALL DIED before a week old, the sprout's just stand up for a couple of days then fall over and after I help them upright the 2 round leafs and the tiny little plant leaves just curl up and die, any suggestions? the set up, the soil, the lighting etc is all the same, It has me baffeled, today I put 2 seeds into paper towels to germinate so if this fails I will have to reorder some seeds:thanks: for any help.
If they germinate, and sprout it's not the seeds. 60% gernmination rate isn't good but I've had 0/10 germinate before so it could be worse. Something is wrong with either your set up or your soil or the way your caring for the babies. You're going to need to go into further detail on what's going on with your grow. like what type of soil and lights and enviromental set up (fans, circulation etc) PH of soil, nutrient and frequency of watering and feeding. You know...all the info possible! :cheesygrinsmiley:

If they germinate, and sprout it's not the seeds. 60% gernmination rate isn't good but I've had 0/10 germinate before so it could be worse. Something is wrong with either your set up or your soil or the way your caring for the babies. You're going to need to go into further detail on what's going on with your grow. like what type of soil and lights and enviromental set up (fans, circulation etc) PH of soil, nutrient and frequency of watering and feeding. You know...all the info possible! :cheesygrinsmiley:

he said it was the same soil, lighting, and set up, i assumed he was reefering to the grow journal in his signature, well he was using 65w spot lights which will nuke those little sprouts to nothing....
40% compost is also way to hot(fert. rich) for new seedlings

he said it was the same soil, lighting, and set up, i assumed he was reefering to the grow journal in his signature, well he was using 65w spot lights which will nuke those little sprouts to nothing....
40% compost is also way to hot(fert. rich) for new seedlings
I never read his first grow posting so I would never know what he previously used. We have a form to use for asking grow questions that should be filled out with every request. I answer questions from several different growers a day. It's impossible for me to know who is using what at all times.
And yes compost is too strong in strength and spot lights are too hot in heat to use. Good find Dez.

thanks racefan, wasnt trying to bash you, sorry if it sounded that way... just trying to get spread my knowledge to those who need it... trying to gain support from my fellow members :peace:

I've been growing for about 3 weeks now and my plant has sprouted but it looks a lil skinny.. it look like it's dying but it's still standing.... I need some serious advice asap

I've been growing for about 3 weeks now and my plant has sprouted but it looks a lil skinny.. it look like it's dying but it's still standing.... I need some serious advice asap
GAHound12 you do know that the last time someone posted on this thread was back in 2009. You would be better off posting this question in the grow room under frequently asked questions. Good luck growing!

Back
Top Bottom