Determining Medicinal Potency

What defines drug strain cannabis is the plant's ability to convert cannabidiol (CBD) or possibly cannabichromene (CBC) into THC.1 If we as growers do not provide the plant with reason to make this conversion it likely will devote its energy elsewhere, to aid in its survival.

Plants convert CBD and/or CBC into THC? I knew that Δ1-THC (THCA) would convert into it (assuming you meant Δ9-THC) with the application of heat, and that Δ9-THC would break down into CBN due to light-exposure (along with CBC into CBL). But I haven't - or don't remember, lol - about the plant converting other things into Δ9-THC or Δ1-THC.

Do they do so by way of an acid reflux (such as the acetic - or sulfuric - acid process)? It would seem to be the most likely way, but I am just guessing as I don't know all that much about botany.

I assume this is discussed in the source listed under the first footnote. I just did a search for that work but didn't find much (other than the article you reposted from the '02 CC Magazine). Do you have a link to it? I'd like to check it out.

BtW, thanks for reposting the article - but it's generally nice to give credit to the author and/or source you got it from.

Also, I always wonder when the term "medicinal potency" is used, why the focus is invariably on THC? Medicine-wise, there's a lot more to the plant (and for many, the "lot more" is more important).

i am lucky enough to have the book "Marijuana Chemistry Genetics" thanks to my old man.
from the way the book reads CBC and CBD are both used in the process to create Δ9-THC.
it also leads to the fact the CBN, is also used in the Chemical reaction.
i also agree with you that Medicinal potency isnt just about the Thc... CBD,CDC, CBN, ect. all have their own medicinal property, CBD= anti inflammatory CBC pain relief, anti anxiety etc.
there are still alot of studys going on with marijuana and there are more starting every day alot of this plant is still shrouded in the unknown

Very interesting stuff. Thank you for posting this!

:peace:

Dam Skippie Yippie. Nice, i will be refrencing this often. Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom